Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182423 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1350 on: March 23, 2017, 12:53:04 pm »

People didn't just vote for money. But for those that valued it principally, then yes, that divide would be very relevant.

It's also true that I heard varied arguments in favour of Leave, but in favour of Remain the only one I heard spoken of was money.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 23, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »

Stability in general,.free movement (to tourism, educational opportunities, culture in all its forms1). There's money involved in those, but only in the way that money is always involved.

Being part of a power-block (and with more say as to how that powerblock works than we would by bunking up in Trump's cell) was very important.  And just like Cornwall doesn't always have the same priorities as Lincolnshire or Cumbria or Kent, just because we're not always happy doesn't mean we (or Cornwall) would be better off out of Europe (or UK/England, depending upon the scheme).

Much of the Brexit was money (that infamous £350m for the NHS, etc, that was almost immediately disavowed), and the rest could as easily be linked to money as the non-monetary Remaining stuff.

e.g. those EU seasonal workers undermining our own workforce, not that we seem to have an appetite for seasonal work (and our benefits system strongly discourages it!), meaning that we need to pay more to our reluctant workers (and no more EU subsidies for environmentally friendly land use, unless we decide to fork out from our national purse directly, as on of many potential costs we didn't previously have), meaning food prices rise (or general taxation), hitting everybody who wants to eat (but not actually scaling to their wealth bracket, so richer people will be fairly Ok with that, our homegrown workers less so, unless somebody actually changes the benefits system to pay out more money to the low end(!)...).

But it was the bus and the (non-EU!) immigration stuff that stuck.  As witnessed by the 'overwhelming majority' who voted to <insert single, simplistic reason of the day here, according to who the speaker is>...  All of which is total bollocks, pardon my Esperanto....

1 Not that a country would ever blanket ban another country's population from engaging in everyday international travel, above and beyond and actual individual/organisational membership of a persona non grata list... Oh, wait!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1352 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:35 pm »

Interesting Starver, cos this goes at odds with all the folks scratching their heads saying this was the first UK vote in ages where "the economy stupid" did not sway voters

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:33 am »

Interesting Starver, cos this goes at odds with all the folks scratching their heads saying this was the first UK vote in ages where "the economy stupid" did not sway voters
Huh?  What of mine is that in response to?

ETA: In fact, that supports my position.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1354 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:20 am »

In regards to the whole much of Brexit was about money thing

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 24, 2017, 07:45:47 am »

Don't be daft. Brexit was about the eternal struggle between order and chaos. Which one is gaining the upper hand is left to the criteria of the reader
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1356 on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:42 am »

Nyarlathotep reigns victorious

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 24, 2017, 09:26:50 am »

Dank memes are winning: invest in this now.

United Forenia Forever!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 24, 2017, 10:59:27 am »

You misread, then.

It's also true that I heard varied arguments in favour of Leave, but in favour of Remain the only one I heard spoken of was money.
To which I reply
Stability in general,.free movement (to tourism, educational opportunities, culture in all its forms1). There's money involved in those, but only in the way that money is always involved.

[...]

Much of the Brexit [i.e. Leave, just to clarify] was money (that infamous £350m for the NHS, etc, that was almost immediately disavowed), and the rest could as easily be linked to money as the non-monetary Remaining stuff.

Make sense, now?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 24, 2017, 11:23:45 am »

I was speaking of how it was characterised. Arguments revolving around immigration, for instance, were spoken of as concerning border security. Arguments around Europe included appeals to sovereignty and democracy.

Their Remain counterparts involved arguments around money, for example immigration - they're good workers! They make us money! - and Europe - the single market! Much trade! such wow.

The Leave arguments may be linked to money - damn immigrants taking our jobs - but this was rarely the case, whereas Remain's main platform was based around counter arguments involving the words "ker" and "ching."

Of course, this wasn't always the case - some spoke of a greater place on the world stage in Europe, for instance, or of national projects. But a disproportionate section of the argument was "the economy, stupid."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 24, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »

Might I remind you about Boris' bus? You would imagine if you have a political battle bus, you'd put your most appealing slogan on it.

As a side note, most of the first page results from the Google search "Brexit bus" tell us about the big fat lie that slogan was, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 24, 2017, 01:37:09 pm »

Yea, the European funds being used for something useful argument. Not really as huge an argument for Leave as the "we will all literally die from economic collapse" thing was for remain.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 24, 2017, 01:47:06 pm »

Yea, the European funds being used for something useful argument. Not really as huge an argument for Leave as the "we will all literally die from economic collapse" thing was for remain.
Have you been drinking a different flavour of Lucozade Zero than me..?  That was, as mentioned, one of the great tenets of the campaign.  Not everyone took it to heart, but it was actually an oft-quoted reason in the vox populi, next to the mistargetted immigrants thing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 24, 2017, 04:22:57 pm »

The thing to do would be to go through LW's old Brexit thread and see what the actual arguments posters here (from both sides) were focusing on.

Y'know, if you can be arsed.
Interesting. "Do a full analysis on goalposts that I've suddenly set up, or STFU...".  I actually credit posters here with more intelligence than the average voter (even when I disagree with them, or even think they're being particularly disingenuous). But, ok, I'll spend some time on that very specific target when I get some time, and try to enumerate our own voiced opinions.

For the man on the street we were actually talking about, we need some archive footage, or similar, which will need careful balancing to remove broadcaster bias in what they chose to make available.

We can always play the odds with the newspaper front pages (that selection in "alignment/argument type" terms are: Leave/financial, Leave/migration, Remain/financial, (nothing obvious), Remain/cultural, Remain/???, Remain/financial, Remain/faked news, Remain/employment rights - but other days may reveal other distributions...), to see what the various sides were putting through their respective media frontends, or listen to something like this...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 24, 2017, 04:57:24 pm »

Perhaps it would be a good time to remind you of Michael "the people have had enough of experts" Gove? Better yet, perhaps we should stop with the ad hominem?

Anyway, why are a broad selection of newspaper headlines of lesser quality as evidence than a pretty-much-anonymous internet forum set up for a niche game developer?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 126