Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 59083 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »

Another caravan, huh. I must say, while I like it's fruits, tropics are too hot for me.

Interesting war situation with the goblins. With your position and being player fortress, you'll be the last to fall - or maybe even get attacked. Odd that the other goblin civilization to the east does nothing.

...200 musical instruments?

Hahahaha, oh ouch damn if you can only assemble? If you can only make from rock? Sounds like you can make one in one go from wood, though.

Sounds like Bomrek didn't accept "rock" :P

I think 3-year olds haul when they deal with own clothes?

Sounds like you're missing merchants :P

Love the meeting. Work with the tools you're given? That's quite the ≡<update>≡.

Hm, surprised that you left a central pillar on aquifer breakthrough.

Don't worry about delays - all we do is read and reply :v

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2016, 04:28:08 pm »

Interesting war situation with the goblins. With your position and being player fortress, you'll be the last to fall - or maybe even get attacked. Odd that the other goblin civilization to the east does nothing.

That dark fortress to the east has 5 goblins.  Apparently the elves and humans did a number on them in the 60's and they haven't recovered. 

There is another goblin civ on the north map, for which I haven't posted an updated map because they haven't attacked anybody relevant, and their nearest outposts are 25 region tiles away as the crow flies.  They're gradually creeping closer, but not a threat yet by any stretch of the imagination.

...200 musical instruments?

Hahahaha, oh ouch damn if you can only assemble? If you can only make from rock? Sounds like you can make one in one go from wood, though.

I'm not planning on making instrument pieces (too complicated).  I can make one glass instrument and one wood instrument, so those are what the focus will be on.

Sounds like Bomrek didn't accept "rock" :P

But the king (or rather, his council and scholars) did, and that's what matters.

I think 3-year olds haul when they deal with own clothes?

In this case, I think they were both intending to put away just their current toy, and somehow the AI gave them the complete hauling job for the related bins.  What the big shock is: they're putting away their toys?!?

Love the meeting. Work with the tools you're given? That's quite the ≡<update>≡.

Thank you.  The game gives me the pieces, I just write it.

Hm, surprised that you left a central pillar on aquifer breakthrough.

That's a necessary access-way down into the central section.  The stand-alone pillars are the last things to go.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2016, 09:58:41 pm »

Well, for true understanding of that - and many other challenges in the fort - I'd have to try it myself, I guess.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2016, 10:25:17 am »

Late fall, Swordgangs

Meng supervised as the traders unloaded the Quota.  Armor?  Check.  Rings?  Check.  Anvils?

“Wait!”  Only seven anvils had been unloaded.  “We’d asked for 48.”

Dastot pointed at one of the bins.  “The rest’re in there.”

Meng frowned, puzzled, and gestured for the traders to pull it down and open it up.  Upon seeing the contents, the world spun wildly and he swiftly sank down against the wall.

Mini-forges!  Oh, Bomrek’s going to be furious!  Gods, how am I going to present this?  Don’t those idiots at Finderboards realize that every time they pull this sort of prank they’re putting my life on the line?

Ok, ok.  Breathe.  In.  Out.  In.  Out.  Now think.  Make sure Bomrek’s nice and drunk, then…oh, gods.  I.  Am.  So.  Screwed.

Still, it had to be done.  Mustering every last scrap of the little courage he had, Meng went to find his leader.

The resulting interview went about as expected, with a lot of yelling and throwing things.

Finally, “Into the pit with you!  See if 50 days don’t make you rethink your participation in this conspiracy!”

Meng went, relieved at the leniency.  At least it’s only imprisonment.  I was expecting a hammering.

As he dropped into the prison pit, he heard a distant roar.  Uh, oh.

“Meng!  Meng Baldarrow!  You scum!  You miserable excuse for a dwarf!”  Bomrek’s roar got steadily louder, until he burst out into the space, waving some rags above his head.

Meng wisely remained silent, waiting for the other axe to fall.

“You think this is acceptable?”  Bomrek shook the rags under Meng’s nose.

Wait a minute.  Those look like…trousers?  Finderboards had the gall to send tattered trousers in their shipment?!

Bomrek continued ranting and raving, stalking around the prison floor.  Almost an hour later, he finally started to calm down, and seemed to realize where he was.  Jabbing his finger in Meng’s direction, he bellowed, “And another 60 days for daring to offend my dignity!”

You do that all by yourself, without any help from me.

Early winter, Theaterknowledge

Dastot waited in the familiar antechamber, wishing he was anywhere else.  This was not going to be pleasant.

A seeming eternity later, though in reality it was only minutes, the other entered, cloaked and hooded as before.

Before Dastot could blink, he found himself suspended above the floor, a gnarled hand tight around his throat.

“You failed.”  The hiss was even more frightening for its emotionless delivery.

“I tried!”  Dastot struggled to get the words out.  “But my hands are tied!”

An endless breath passed before the hand opened and Dastot dropped unceremoniously to the floor.  Gasping for breath, he awaited his fate.  A quick gesture from his interlocutor demanded more information.

Taking a deep breath, Dastot willed himself to speak calmly.  “I don’t know how they do it, but the Trampled Rampart dwarves manage to find a way to interpret each of Bomrek’s demands in a way that allows them to be fulfilled.  First, with the spears turning into training spears,  More recently, with finding a justification for glass to work for rock.  When Bomrek asked for anvils, they sent mini-forges, because ‘those are also anvils, and Bomrek didn’t specify’.  While his latest demands include really high quantities, I’m sure the Trampled Rampart will find a way to complete even that!”

“Then you should find a way.”

“How?  Once the quota is loaded on our wagons, I’m responsible to the king.  If an accident happens, if we lose some or all of it, I’m the one that’s going to be punished, not Finderboards!”

A snort greeted the words, but there was no immediate comeback.  Instead, a few moments later the gnarled hand twitched, and Dastot immediately took advantage of the dismissal.  Scuttling from the room, he lost no time in escaping down the corridor, thanking Robek, the god of Nightmares, for releasing him so easily.

Behind him, the other paced around the room, with eerily silent movements except for the cloak swish-swishing at each turn.

How difficult can it be to destroy a single, poorly-run, poorly-staffed outpost?  I don’t have a hope of claiming my rightful place until all of the king’s heirs are dead, and arranging unfortunate, unsuspected accidents is difficult even when the victim lives in the same settlement. 

And yet, I’ve managed to kill off six of his sixteen children and more of his under-age grandchildren.  Children are so easy to dispose of.

But why did some of his adult children and grandchildren have to decide to settle there of all places?  The one place where I don’t have any supporters.  And they’re almost certainly breeding like cats, which means that with every year there are more that get added to the List.

How to arrange accidents from a distance….

I have a headache.

Edit:Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:07:34 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2016, 11:36:41 am »

Meng was the outpost liaison, right?

Interesting that anybody would put the screws on somebody who doesn't participate in production.

More legends viewing to see the imprisonment, I take it? I must say, I generally stick into one mode on account of how big of a pain switching is.

And Dastot...I've forgotten his role. Better check NPCs, I guess. *checks* Not there, hm.

A gnarled hand...Old hand, or goblin hand?

Well, some tension. Will you actually go offing around the civilization in adventure mode?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2016, 12:16:19 pm »

Meng was the outpost liaison, right?

Meng is one of Bomrek's administrators.  The outpost liaison is Logem Echoworked (I call him Echoworked to differentiate from the fort's resident Logem).

And Dastot...I've forgotten his role. Better check NPCs, I guess. *checks* Not there, hm.

He's a dwarven trader.  For the purposes of story-telling, I've made him the leader of every dwarven caravan, even though in reality each one seems to have a different set of merchants.

And I've made note to add some new (and old) folks to the "current character list" for the next update.  Somehow Dastot slipped through the cracks, sorry.

A gnarled hand...Old hand, or goblin hand?

Well, some tension. Will you actually go offing around the civilization in adventure mode?

Not telling, you'll just have to keep reading.  Though so far the off-fort sections are built mostly on legends mode, I haven't gone adventuring at all in this world...yet.

I actually have seasonal backups set, and I make a copy of each one (so I have one useable backup, and one Legends copy for the beginning of each season) so that I can look through Legends mode at my leisure.  I usually have Legends mode running while I'm working on each write-up.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:18:16 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »

Wait, if Meng never leaves Swordgangs...Why is he being blamed?

Anyway, atm when I tell the story, I reach for DF in fort mode to get relationships and Dwarf Therapist to get the personalities. But I can't get trader's and visitors' personalities through that. I wonder if there's any way to check those dwarves?

(other than Legend Viewer, couldn't get that to run in linux and don't want to boot into windows for write-ups :P)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »

Wait, if Meng never leaves Swordgangs...Why is he being blamed?

Why does a weaponsmith who never leaves the magma forges get blamed for export violations?   :P  I never claimed Bomrek was rational.

-Dame d la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2016, 04:14:09 pm »

That level of irrationality tends to result in "accidents" though, now doesn't it?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2016, 04:31:30 pm »

That level of irrationality tends to result in "accidents" though, now doesn't it?

Only in player forts.

-Dame de la Licorne

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2016, 02:31:09 am »

If you ever go adventuring in this world, will you do it in a roleplay way, with logs and such ?
Could Lotu be hired by the adventurer and travel with him to Swordgangs ?
There, she could meet Bomrek irl and... idk... sneakily put some ☼smelly fishs☼ in his inventory, as he seems to like these so much.

Or are you just going to adventure there to check things out OOC ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2016, 06:16:18 am »

If you ever go adventuring in this world, will you do it in a roleplay way, with logs and such ?
Could Lotu be hired by the adventurer and travel with him to Swordgangs ?
There, she could meet Bomrek irl and... idk... sneakily put some ☼smelly fishs☼ in his inventory, as he seems to like these so much.

Or are you just going to adventure there to check things out OOC ?

If I decide to adventure (TBH it's my last favorite mode of the three), I'd do it with a roleplay, assuming the story is still going.

-Dame de la Licorne

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2016, 11:33:48 am »

knock knock, anyone home?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »

knock knock, anyone home?

I haven't forgotten this, but I haven't had a chance to finish winter yet (I'm about halfway through Opal).

-Dame de la Licorne

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2016, 09:14:54 pm »

Just wonderin, we page 3ed there for a moment
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36