Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 59081 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: The Story of Atolasob
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 03:32:44 am »

Paper

Scattered notes of Dr. Urist

Oh, the supplies came. I know most of them ain't for us but... maybe we can get a bit of paper from them? Then, if I get a table and chair in the dining-library, I could write some stuff!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 10:29:41 am »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

2 Limestone 75

The Unending Kea Panic of 75 has taught me one thing.  We need walls, or we'll be spending all our time chasing animals.  Looking around, I realized that Imic had been rather efficient at chopping wood, and we have plenty of the stuff.  Personally, I would rather it be stone, but we need to keep that for aquifer-breaching purposes.  The wood will do for now.

While I was out walking the perimeter, planting stakes avery few bots to mark where the walls should go, I startled yet another kobold straight into one of the muskoxen.

The Great Kobold Chase ensued, as the militia interrupted their training to run the oversize vermin off.

Those things always seem to work in groups.

Once Imic, Mooney and Lokum were satisfied that the would-be thieves were well on the run, they returned to their makeshift training area.

12 Limestone 75

We have spotted the caravan in the distance.  Finally!  We will be able to send messages home, and learn the latest news.  I look forward to seeing new faces for the next few days.

But, looking over our supplies, I realize we have very little to trade.  Damn those keas.

Imic also came to me, displaying his leather leggings, which are now looking very worn.  He wants a new pair and, barring that, some leather to make new ones.  I told him to take the worn ones to the depot, as the traders might take them, and I'll do my best to get him some new ones too.

I have started a list of things we need:
1) One complete set of armor for Lokum.
2) A replacement set of leggings for Imic.
3) A quiver for Mooney (somehow the mountainhome neglected to pack one for him).
4) Metal to make an axe for Lokum.
5) Extra metal for various projects.

Dr. Urist just popped her head in.  She wants

6) Paper.

I'm sure more will be added as the others realize things they must have.
__________________________________________________________________________________

13 Limestone 75

"Ah, there you are!"

Lotu turned around and beheld

"Oh, hullo.  Whom do I have the pleasure...?"  His voice trailed off expectantly.

Lotu felt his stomach drop.  This was their contact with Whippedesteem.  Well, maybe he's a reasonable sort of fellow?

"Would you like a drink?"  He gestured toward the nearby barrel of rice beer.

"That would be wonderful.  I'm paaarched!"

Once both dwarves had a cup of beer, Lotu led Logem over to the dining area.

Logem proceeded to relate the latest news.

"Wait wait wait.  Wait."

Lotu grabbed his map and spread it on the table, pulling out his pen at the same time.  "Could you please repeat that?"

Once Lotu had jotted down his notes, Logem continued.  "Let's discuss what you need, and what Swordgangs requires."

"Swordgangs?  No, we're supposed to be supplying Whippedesteem!"

Lotu was astonished to learn that King Dodok had confused his outposts.  Isn't a King supposed to, you know, know where everything is?

He updated the maps.

To the south of the mountain range The Walls of Stilling:

To the north of the mountain range The Walls of Stilling:

"There are fifty dwarves in Swordgangs, all dependent on you to meet their needs.  King Dodok is confident that you will be up to the task."

Wonderful.  And there are twelve eleven of us, without counting the child.

"Now what do you need?"

As Lotu started to go down the list, Logem suddenly held up a finger.

"Oh, I almost forgot.  King Dodok instructed me to inform you that, due to the vast and dangerous distance between Finderboards and the Mountainhomes, he strongly encourages you to produce everything yourselves.  To that end, he has decreed that you cannot keep more than 25,000 coin-equivalents in imported material in stock."

"And...if we do?"

"One of my duties will be to examine your settlement from top to bottom, and report any infringement."

In an apparent non-sequitor, he asked, "Do you remember Urist Addlepated?"

Lotu nodded slowly.  He hadn't known the dwarf personally, but he knew of him.

"Do you know why he suffered that particular fate?"

Lotu shook his head, reluctantly.  I'm not going to like this.

"King Dodok wanted a spear made of sand pear wood, and Urist brought him one made of pear wood."

I knew I wasn't going to like this.

Logem continued, "I'm sure you can imagine what his reaction would be if an entire settlement disobeyed his orders."

"Point made.  If you'll excuse me, I need to double-check something before we nail down the details."

Lotu got out of there as fast as was polite.

Double-check something, right.  More like gather everyone together and figure out a plan.  What does King Dodok have against us, anyway?  Screwing with us like this?  Does he want us to fail?

No.

Not on my watch.  Not to my friends.  No way.  No frigging hell.  We.  Will.  NOT.  Fail!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OOC:  For the outpost name (Whippedesteem->Swordgangs), I read my notes wrong and just realized it.  I also thought the maps might be useful, so I'll be posting an updated one each time the liaison comes.  It's interesting to note that on the north region map, only the two marked sites belong to our civ.  The others belong to "The Fleshy Silver" who are currently duking it out with elves.  Note on the south region map, Singedclasped and Theaterknowledge have white symbols because both of those sites share an embark region tile with an abandoned outpost.  The actual mountainhomes are very much lived-in (according to legends and the exported text files).

Also, in case it hasn't been made clear, the rules of this fort (so far) are as follows:

1) Export everything in the export agreement with the dwarven caravan each year.  (The first caravan is a "pass" since we don't have an export agreement yet.)
2) Use it or lose it.  Everything we import must either be used in some way (so it isn't included in the import figure of the 'z' screen, and we will only decorate things we produce, so that exploit won't be used), or traded on to one of the caravans.
3) The punishment for breaking #2 has not yet been set (I have several ideas), but I'm open to suggestions (which is why the reference in-character is cryptic).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:35:54 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 10:39:12 am »

What about, like a stack of gypsum plaster sitting in the hospital, waiting for emergencies?

Or paper sitting in the library (in small amounts)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

Oooh, an export challenge. Are you going to try and make everything they want or just export what you have?

In that case, you need to be careful NOT to become a mountain home else the liaison will go away. Unless you turned on merchant nobility.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:26 am »

You haven't been cooking those gathered plants, I take it? A well-designed salad (cook everything in container) can have 7-digit value, matching adamantine trap compontents blow for blow.

As for the punishment, one thing that I have only seen in OPs so far is going off to found a new site. With migrants from previous forts coming to next ones, this should be possible to use repeatedly. This would also make the maps more useful, especially if you're besieged.

As for decorations, haha. I almost never decorate anything myself...Poor jewelers :p

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 11:00:02 am »

What about, like a stack of gypsum plaster sitting in the hospital, waiting for emergencies?

Or paper sitting in the library (in small amounts)

We can make gypsum powder (The Figure of Diving has access to gypsum rock, which is cheaper than bags of the powder), and bought sheets can easily be turned into quires, which can also be stored in the library and used for writing.

But cases like that are why I made the limit 25,000, and I'm also limiting migrant waves, only allowing them in when the story demands it.  My experience doing this in test forts is that the first two migrant waves won't bring enough to throw the imported amount over that limit (unless we get an unusually big wave).  And if we are over the limit, we have until the caravan leaves each year to get back under.  The clothing immigrants wear is the biggest potential issue, but as long as I keep the waves small and have made-on-site clothes for them to change into as soon as their clothes start showing wear (and don't give them cabinets until they don't own any imported clothes anymore), I should be able to trade give away enough that we can stay under the import cap.  Besides, if it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, would it?

It's actually one of the reasons I really like this world.  Swordgangs was generated where it is (I didn't embark/retire there), and the massive distance between it and the rest of civilization gave me the initial idea for this fort.