Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 58746 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)
« Reply #495 on: July 25, 2018, 11:43:38 pm »

Seeds might also be eaten by vermin, perhaps? Do you have any cats?

My bad on the architect, saw two interruptions by one and asssumed they must be separate architects.

Flows such as miasma, mist, poison and (cavein or otherwise) dust will only propagate orthogonally. Additionally, if you look at fbs fighting in cavern lakes, the poison/dust clouds don't leave their initial tile if they're in the water.

This means it is safer to hit fbs through a diagonal, where they can still attack but can't dust ya.

Unfortunately, if you have the spacetime to construct  such a trap you could also use a different one, so this is bit of a novelty.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:35 am »

Seeds might also be eaten by vermin, perhaps? Do you have any cats?
Yes, I put a zone for one over each food-accepting stockpile.

This means it is safer to hit fbs through a diagonal, where they can still attack but can't dust ya.
That's useful to know, and probably what happened with the dog.

- Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 26, 2018, 05:49:27 pm »

Early Summer 91, Theaterknowledge

The Master’s eyes opened slowly, traces of the most recent vision still dancing in oddly-shaped irises.  Thin lips quirked in a chilling facsimile of a smile.

Yes.  These tools will serve me well.

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, broker.

03 Hematite 91

Having handed my mining duties over to Kivish, I now feel as if I have time to do what I want to do.  I celebrated the arrival of summer in the temple, communing with Urdim on fortress designs.  I now have a few ideas tugging at the back of my brain, but they’re very rough still.

While they percolated, I helped move the dralthas to their new underground pasture.  With any luck, we won’t have to fetch one out of a tree ever again.

--------------------

04 Hematite 91

Akrul tapped her quill against the work orders on her desk.

Those lazy carpenters.  They’ll never finish the blocks and crutches at this rate!

Pursing her lips, she went through each dwarf’s current work assignments.  While she had the authority to re-assign anyone, Prince Ëdem might get upset if she chose one of his friends or colleagues.

So I can’t touch those useless scholars.  Nor the doctors.  Or anyone else who hangs out with him in the library.

She continued to scan through the list, then paused.  Datan Paddledclutches isn’t milling anything irreplaceable, and Endok Boltprairies only makes one wheel of cheese each month.  Yes, those two will do.  Starting to nod in satisfaction, she headed out to speak to her choices.

Datan was easy to track down, given that she spent much of her time helping in the fields.  Intimidated by the Dragon Lady, she just nodded when Akrul informed her of a her re-assignment.

As Akrul strode away in search of Endok, Datan carefully stored the first of the new rope reed plants in a nearby barrel, then trotted off to find her mother Lyra for carpentry training.  This should be interesting.  I’ve been wanting to craft something for ages!

Akrul finally tracked Endok down in the llama pasture, where she was attempting to milk one of the females.

“Endok!”  Akrul’s piercing tones cut through the relative quiet of the pasture.  “I need to talk to you.”

Rolling her eyes, Endok rose and picked up the partially filled bucket.  “Can it wait a moment?  Only I’ve got to get this into a barrel before it spoils.”

“You can do that on your way to the carpentries.  You’re re-assigned.”

“What?  Bu-but I want to make cheese!”

“We don’t need cheese right now.  We need crutches.  You’ll help to make them.”

“Bu-bu-but cheesemaking is an ancient family art!  My ancestor, the King himself, is a cheesemaker!”

“It doesn’t matter.  You’re making crutches until I say otherwise.  And if I catch you slacking off, it’ll be dwarven justice for you!”

“But—“

“No buts.  No ifs.  No ands, ors, or maybes.  No wheretofores.  Make.  Crutches.”

Grumbling the entire way, Endok stored the milk and then dragged her feet all the way to Uvash’s carpentry.

07 Hematite 91

The seal was plain and unadorned, as it always was.  The dwarf slipped a finger beneath it and gently pried it loose from the flap, then unfolded several sheets.  That was unusual.  Normally the Master’s messages were terse and to the point.

The top sheet was the typical brief set of instructions.

The war has begun, and already shows great promise.  The list of targets has been significantly diminished.  Be ready to take advantage when a raiding party arrives at Atölasob.

The rest of the sheets simply contained a list of raids conducted during the spring season by The Fleshy Silver.

Spoiler: Fall (click to show/hide)

Who knew Bomrek would be so useful?  The dwarf felt as if a great weight had been lifted away.  As long as The Fleshy Silver continued to attack, the dwarf’s failures took a distant second.

09 Hematite 91

Wiping her red-rimmed eyes, Pesor pinned a trembling smile in place before knocking on the Mayor’s door.

“Enter!”  Catten called out.

Catten nodded agreeably.  “What skills have you got, besides entertaining and farming?”

Pesor was caught off guard, and frantically searched for something that the dwarves would find useful.  “I can engrave.”  The words rushed out.  “Oh, and carve stone, though not as well.”

At least that’s a useful skill.  “Go find Nil.  He’ll tell you where to start engraving.”

Pesor barely managed to walk out with a shred of dignity.  Tears and stress forgotten, she cheered her citizenship in the corridor before heading off to find the head engraver.

11 Hematite 91

What will they want in trade?  The same as the elves?

Catten found Lotu in the tavern.

“You know, you’re the broker.”

“Talk about stating the obvious.”  Lotu muttered dryly.

“Well, I was thinking.  You have a lot more experience with all of these groups than I do, or any other possible Mayor, for that matter.  How about you decide what to trade?  I mean, I’ll let you know if there are any quantities too low for trading, like the current situation with earrings, but it would be easier than always asking you what they'll take.”

Lotu frowned.  “What’s wrong with the earrings?”

“With Bomrek wanting them, we can’t trade them to anyone else.  I do know that much.”

Lotu just shook his head in exasperation, then drained his mug of ale and rose to his feet.  “I guess I’d better take a look in the trading stockpiles and see what we have.”

--------------------

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, broker.

12 Hematite 91

It turns out we still have some imported items, mostly clothes and elven cages, so those were the first ones I selected.  Then I grabbed the tattered pieces of non-silk clothing, and also threw in some low-quality wooden furniture that was starting to show its age.  Humans are easy to please.

16 Hematite 91

Another and his wife Rith have welcomed their second child, this time a son.

--------------------

21 Hematite 91

The sun had long since set Above as the dwarf walked up the Central Spire.  Fortunately, the upper caverns and the altar were but a short step away from the family’s sleeping quarters, and it was relatively easy to sneak away.  Ascending the last ramp, the dwarf walked past the guard on duty.

“Can’t sleep?”  Udil asked.

“Nope.  I thought a quick turn through the safe part of the caverns might help.”

“The cavern creatures’re quiet, but better make it quick, just in case.”

The dwarf nodded, acknowledging the Udil’s advice, and turned the corner, where he promptly stumbled to a halt.

A smooth granite wall soared upward before his eyes, stretching toward the cavern’s ceiling, several levels above.  The way forward was blocked.

The dwarf headed back to Udil.  “What’s with th’wall?  It wasn’t there before.”

Udil glanced southward.  “Oh, that.  Airith wants to finish off this part of the Central Spire, and make it easier for the fishers to get in and out.  And the squad captains are very happy with the idea, since it’ll be easier to defend, too.”

“So how are the fishers going to get through?”

“If you go up those ramps next to me, the next level up will have the new access point.”

Yeah.  A new access point full of fishers.  That’s going to play bloody hell with easy access to my altar.

--------------------

22 Hematite 91

I checked with Lorbam to verify the quota progress before trading.  Crutches and blocks are the most behind, though Datan and Endok are starting to help make up the difference, so I bought out all of those that the humans had brought.  I figured it couldn't hurt.  I also grabbed all of the seed-producing fruits, to make a start on re-building those stores.  And, remembering last year’s ill-advised cheese party, I bought an extra 50 units of fish, just in case someone gets a sudden hankering for it.

Before Trade                                                  After Trade

The extra 2,000 will quickly disappear when we deliver the quota.

27 Hematite 91

Stodir has started linking up the last of the levers with their respective floodgates for the obsidian farm.  The levers have been placed in the tavern, where it’s most likely someone will be able to pull them quickly.

02 Malachite 91

I always thought military training was safe, but today’s events have educated all of us otherwise.  The Boats of Mining and the Barricaded Charity were running a combined drill in the training barracks, when Masami suddenly cracked.

She seems to really have had a grudge against Geño who, it turns out, has killed fifteen elves during her travels.

And it isn’t as if Masami is completely innocent, either.

The two were very evenly matched, trading blows back and forth, dancing across the clay floor, as the rest of the squads dodged out of the way.  Finally, one of Masami’s thrusts got through Geño’s defense, and the blow knocked her unconscious.  After that, it was all over, bar the details.

Geño’s death spurred the watchers out of their shocked paralysis, and Masami’s squadmates piled onto him, preventing him from hurting anyone else until he had calmed down enough to reason with.  Imic, as the overall commander, and Neo and Rigòth, as the captains of the two squads, carried out an immediate inquiry.

Their conclusion was that no harm had been done, since Geño was not an official citizen of Atölasob.  In thanks for Geño's vigilance in her defense of our city, she will be buried with the other humans who have died in service.  However, if Masami ever does something similar again, Imic has warned him in no uncertain terms that he’ll win a one-way trip to the magma sea. 

It’s a reminder to everyone that he doesn’t have much patience for troublemakers within the ranks.

03 Malachite 91

The whole city is talking about the yesterday’s excitement.  And my lovely wife is currently buried in a mountain of paper, trying to design the terminus of Imic’s threatened magma sea punishment.  I may have overheard something about inviting Bomrek to take the inauguratory trip.  Or maybe it was Dodók.  I was careful not to listen too closely.

05 Malachite 91

In times of sadness, comes inspiration.

I hope he finishes quickly, we still need more granite blocks to finish Airith’s protective walls in the upper caverns.

--------------------

07 Malachite 91

Sigun wandered through the pastures, taking a break from training dralthas.  Coming to the two-humped camel enclosure, he stopped in shock.  The once mighty animals were skin and bone, their humps barely visible.

“Hey!  I need help!”  He yelled at the top of his powerful lungs.

Dwarves, elves and humans came running.

“We need to move them up top, to the grass pasture.  They’re starving down here.”

Hands started grabbing halters and leading the poor animals away

“Huh?”  Mayor Catten was puzzled.  “But there’s lots of mushrooms.”

“They don’t eat mushrooms.  They eat moss, and the mushrooms have crowded it out.”

As the camels were led away, the situation become clearer.  The enclosure was full of dead mushroom saplings, and the occasional live one.  And at the base of each mushroom was a ring of bare soil where the only moss had been dead so long it had dried out completely.

“What are we going to do?”  Mayor Catten was at a loss.

“We could floor it over, and then remove the construction.”  Vucar started mentally calculating how much material and time that would take.

“No, that’ll take too long.”  Prince Edëm had seen the camel procession from the tavern, and come down to satisfy his curiosity.

“Then what do you suggest?”  Vucar asked archly.  She wasn’t particularly fond of King Dodók’s fifth child and eldest son, but had to admit that he often had some good ideas, unlike his illustrious sire.

“Build some dirt roads.  The youngest untrained peasant is capable of that, and it’ll take care of all of these unsightly mushrooms.  Then give it a few months for moss spores to sprout, and you’ll be able to move the camels back.”

That did sound reasonable, and the dwarves started splitting the large room into road sections.

Meanwhile, Prince Edëm had wandered over to the one-humped camel room.  “And you may want to do the same thing to this one too, eventually.”

Mayor Catten followed, and glanced inside.

I need to remember to add that to the city’s to-do list.  We need to build dirt roads regularly in the two camel pens.  Better make that a rotating thing, so that each section gets cleared of those pesky mushrooms regularly.

--------------------

15 Malachite 91

It’s taken Edëm ten days to gather all of his materials, but he started working just before supper. 

Fortunately, all of the boulders he wanted were sitting right next to the masonry he claimed, or it might have taken him even longer.

20 Malachite 91

Huh, when that dwarf gets going, he works fast.

I wonder if anyone would notice if it found its way into our bedroom?

--------------------

22 Malachite 91

The squads on duty in the caverns have taken to running regular patrols to break the monotony, with Imic’s blessing.  The month of Malachite fell to the Helmed Anvils, who did their patrols in pairs.  Imic’s daughter, Thîkut, and her squadmate Äs decided to head west, in search of the monster hunter Zicab, who had gone out almost a week before and failed to return.

As they walked, they stayed silent, listening for any of the myriad dangers that lived in the depths.

Turning the corner, they saw something different, something that didn’t belong.  Sharing a concerned look, they eased closer.

“Well, we found Zicab.”  Thîkut remarked, nudging the corpse with the toe of her high boot.

The more experienced Äs knelt down, studying the wounds.  Judging by the congealed blood, the human had been dead at least a day, possibly as many as two.

“This far out, we wouldn’t have heard his screams.”  He murmured to himself.  “He didn’t die a good death.”

The human’s right arm dangled by a thread of tendon, and his left hand had been completely torn off.  And there was a rather spectacular dent in the human’s helmet.

Rising to his feet, Äs turned back toward the city.  “Troll, if I had to guess.  Very little else is both that vicious and that strong.  Whoever fetches the body will need to wait until we’ve found the troll and dealt with it.”

27 Malachite 91

I’m bored.  Bearskie thought, staring at the unchanging soil ceiling.  I’ve been lying here for months, now, and all the doctors will say is “Be patient.  It takes time for the traction to work.”  If this had been a human hospital, they would’ve given me a splint, a crutch and sent me on my way, a cripple.  And my leg looks so funny,  I’m still going to be a cripple.

His morose thoughts were interrupted as one of the local dwarves entered, carrying breakfast. 

“Thanks.”  Bearksie accepted the tray, and took a long drink of the strawberry wine that was this morning’s offering.  But they do know their alcohol.

He had barely finished his meal when Dr. Urist entered, for her daily check of his healing leg.

Bearskie lay back, accustomed to her rather gruff ways, as she poked and prodded.  His thoughts drifted.

“All right.  You can get up.”

Jerked back to the here-and-now, Bearskie was sure he’d heard wrong.  It had been four months, after all, with no hint of progress.  “What?”

“Get up.  You’re good as new, and we can use the bed for someone else. Go on, now.  Shoo.”

The imagery of a person forcefully shooing someone almost twice her size out of the door might have been laughable, for someone who wasn’t familiar with Dr. Urist.

Without really knowing how it happened, Bearskie found himself standing outside the hospital on two useable legs, clutching the remains of his clothing.  Since the stockpile was right there, he moved with alacrity to get some new items, then cheerfully headed up to the library, whistling all the way.

--------------------

01 Galena 91

The levers are fully linked up, so we’re ready to start casting Robek’s temple in obsidian.  This will require very careful management, as we cannot allow the magma to get deeper than a single level.  It is good to make progress.

16 Galena 91

The Helmed Anvils have finally returned, reporting a successful hunt for the troll that killed Zicab.  As the original expedition leader, I decided that it was my duty to ensure that Zicab had a proper burial in our human cemetery.

18 Galena 91

With the magma layer complete, it’s time to turn on the water.

--------------------

24 Galena 91

Entering the tavern for a drink to soothe his dry throat, Bearskie caught sight of the dwarven Mayor sitting at one of the tables.  Right.  I’ve been meaning to talk to him.

Filling a mug, he took a draught, then approached the Mayor’s table.

Mayor Catten had no problems with that, so Bearskie decided to make one more request.  “I’ve some experience working with gems, and your gemologists are amazing.  May I work with them, and learn how to improve my own cutting?”

Catten shrugged.  “I have no problem with that, but you’ll need to ask Catten Crowchambers, or Logem.  If one of them is willing to take you on as an apprentice, then we can use you.  Otherwise, Akrul will find something for you to do.”

Bearskie promptly headed off, reviewing various arguments to try and persuade one of the dwarven gem cutters to take him on.  As it turned out, it wasn't terribly difficult.  Logem waved him into the jeweler's, pointed out several tools, and told him to start on the clay sitting on the table while he went off to socialize a bit.

28 Galena 91

Once again, Mayor Catten sat down with Akrul and Lorbam.  This time, Lotu was conspicuously absent from the meeting, having washed his hands of mayoral duties in favor of supervising the obsidian casting.

Akrul was quite pleased, for once.  “Uvash and Lyra just needed a little help.”

Lorbam concurred.  “While the bracelets are the only incomplete item, now that the earrings are done they won’t take too much longer.

Late Summer 91, Swordgangs

Well, Bomrek's certainly stirred up a hornet's nest.  Meng thought bitterly, as he observed the frantic activity below.  But at least the quota will be coming soon, if we can hang on just another few months.  Surely Bomrek ordered something useful?  Surely?

Current character list:

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan J Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan K Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan L Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unknown Parentage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MrLurkety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Autuz (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:51:31 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 26, 2018, 08:05:56 pm »

I suppose it’s pretty late but can I claim an inhabitant? If so I’d like to  take the next person to have their citizenship approved.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 26, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »

I suppose it’s pretty late but can I claim an inhabitant? If so I’d like to  take the next person to have their citizenship approved.
You can always claim someone.  :)  FYI, the only unclaimed residents that are due to request citizenship are goblins (one is an architect, the other a woodcrafter).  If you'd rather not have one of those, there are a number of unclaimed humans, elves, and dwarves, both citizens and mercenaries in the military.

- Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2018, 01:01:01 pm »

Hm, I wonder. Sounds like you don't have dedicated haulers. I don't either, though past a certain point of busyness it starts slowing things down.

But you run with far more than my ten.

War

Oho. Now the swordgangs are there, with their training maces and toy hammers and toy anvils and...get sieged while holding toy, wooden and wooden toy gear.

While I've had to confront with differences between sand pear wood and pear wood myself recently (pear wood unacceptable for weight-sensitive minecart repeater; needs to be sand pear), what would come to pass if it fell?

I wonder....

Trade

Uh.

Ahaha, I guess it had to happen sometime.

Hm, store all earrings in 1 minecart, haul that to depot (with an undesirable?), then trade that?

I recall you were making wooden blocks, but with the amount you're digging, isn't stone plentiful enough?

...Oh, you're using blocks to wall off the caverns at the same time. Silly me.

Nonetheless, hopelessly above the cap and rising.

Bomrek probably should order windows again. Crystal glass windows. At max priority.

Though won't he be upset at the instruments....

Caverns

I see you, like always, don't let the land tell you how to dig your fortress.

Building roads...I wonder, can grazers graze on paved roads? Then could hide them them with d-b-h.

Though I'd just dig downstairs into the pasture for moss-only ground.

(Might want to give animal caretaker to some less busy dwarves as well.)

Infighting

Must be some insult; wish you had talks on (though Toady culled them in recent versions in fort mode, and you upgraded, so...).  I've seen this between family members before, as well. (Mother was sad, but glad to speak with the murderer.)

Hope your magma shaft doesn't go near the barracks, or there will be another dead in a spar.

And did you deconstruct the bench under Bearskie?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 29, 2018, 02:50:15 pm »

Sounds like you don't have dedicated haulers.
I have some, but mostly I can get by with the military hauling on their downtime.

I recall you were making wooden blocks, but with the amount you're digging, isn't stone plentiful enough?

...Oh, you're using blocks to wall off the caverns at the same time. Silly me.
I can never have enough blocks.

Nonetheless, hopelessly above the cap and rising.
It's actually falling slowly, from one season to the next, now that Mestthos has a magma furnace and is melting imported metal equipment day and night.  That's allowing NCommander to have enough metal to train weaponsmithing skills without worrying about a source of iron.

Bomrek probably should order windows again. Crystal glass windows. At max priority.

Though won't he be upset at the instruments....
That's currently a bug.  He ordered crystal glass, but it's impossible to make crystal glass instruments.  The only ones I can make are green glass, which is why that's what he's getting.

Building roads...I wonder, can grazers graze on paved roads? Then could hide them them with d-b-h.
Not on paved roads, only on dirt roads (once the grass/moss grows back).

Though I'd just dig downstairs into the pasture for moss-only ground.
*shrugs*  I don't like that aesthetic.

(Might want to give animal caretaker to some less busy dwarves as well.)
Has animal caretaker suddenly gotten useful?

And did you deconstruct the bench under Bearskie?
No.  I'd honestly forgotten that he was still there. I happened to notice him in the tavern (???) so I guess he must have healed up on his own.  On further investigation, the traction bench was still built (it didn't get knocked down by a tantrum), so I assume this means that the traction bug has now been fixed...?

- Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2018, 03:16:00 pm »

Huh, no details menu for instrument pieces in glass furnace in 43.03. Well darn. No way to produce clear glass ones, obviously...

...No way to produce crystal glass ones either, yeah. Also discovered they'll accept sand bags, even if sand itself is forbidden.

Well, roads would be annoyingly blinky anyway.

And animal caretakers are supposed to feed the hungry ones, iirc. (Chained/caged ones might be with hospital's nursing job, I think.)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2018, 03:34:01 pm »

And animal caretakers are supposed to feed the hungry ones, iirc. (Chained/caged ones might be with hospital's nursing job, I think.)
I didn't realize that.  I'll have to give it a try.

- Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 06, 2018, 05:02:05 pm »

04 Limestone 91

Mayor Catten studied the work roster that Akrul had just dropped onto his desk. This year’s quota was well in hand, and Akrul had been downright cheerful for days.

As Catten studied the list, his eyes fell on one name. Rovod Claspedlearns, the leatherworker Olon’s daughter. She did come of age at the end of summer, didn’t she? What’s she doing planting?

Picking up the list, he headed down the corridor to Akrul’s office. “Why do you have Rovod planting? We have elves for that.”

“Hmm?” Akrul grabbed the list. “I didn’t assign her to that.” She pulled another sheet of paper from a pile on her desk. “She’s…supposed to be hauling and pushing mine carts. I’ll take care of it.”

Several hours later, Akrul strode down the Central Spire, pulling a protesting Rovod by the ear. Coming to a halt in front of the Magma Rail, she shoved the hapless young adult at the waiting mine cart, fully loaded with clay.

“See? We need that—“ her finger jabbed at the impressive pile of clay, “to get down to Atîs in a timely manner! Just give it a push, hop on, ride it down, then give it another good push to send it back up for the next load. That’s all you need to do.”

“But that’s boooring!”

Snorting with impatience, Akrul tossed Rovod up onto the pile of raw clay and gave the mine cart a good shove.

“Aaaahhh!” Rovod screeched, clinging to the rail with a white-knuckled grip. Then a moment later, as Akrul started back towards her office, came another squeal. “Whhheeeeee! Whoop! Whoop!  Whoooeeeeee!”

The cries quickly faded into the stone. Akrul shook her head as she started down the Central Spire. So easily amused.

--------------------

07 Limestone 91

With only some bracelets left to make, this year’s quota delivery promises to be less fraught than some in years past, and many of us are now focusing on more personal and relevant projects. The bottom-most level of Robek’s temple has been fully cast into obsidian, and the water above has evaporated enough to start the magma flow for the next level up.

We’ve also started setting up a magma-powered glass furnace for Mebzuth, now that the Magma Rail is operational.

10 Limestone 91

In anticipation of the upcoming caravan, Catten has lifted his export ban.  It's a good thing, given the number of earrings that Bomrek wants.

14 Limestone 91

Of course, our time to ourselves couldn’t last forever.

In my capacity as Atölasob’s trader, I’ve given orders to begin hauling our quota out to the waiting wagons.

22 Limestone 91

Really, Catten? Really?

--------------------

25 Limestone 91

Having dropped off a heavy bin of blocks, Lotu stomped into Mayor Catten’s office and slapped a notice-sheet down on the desk.

“What were you thinking?” He barked at the administrator.

Catten looked up, confused. “About what?”

“This!”

Lotu picked up the sheet and shoved it toward Catten’s face. Catten grabbed it in self-preservation. “This? It’s a mandate notice. What about it?”

“It’s an export ban!”

“Yeah.”

“Of earrings!

“Yeah. I like earrings.”

“But we need to send some to Bomrek!”

“He doesn’t need ‘em. Not to make a spear.”

Lotu took a deep breath.

“King Dodók has ordered that we make everything Bomrek requests. We cannot afford to fail.”

“He don’t need earrings.” Catten’s eyes narrowed. He wasn’t budging. “If’n you send earrings, you’ll pay the penalty.”

Still, Lotu tried one last time. “Just 136 of them? There would still be over 400 in the city.”

“No!”

Lotu trudged out, racking his brain for a solution to the dilemma. What am I going to do?

05 Sandstone 91

A week later, the quota was almost completely delivered.

Adding that quota-specific stockpile just below has really cut down on hauling times. Lotu reflected, as he made careful notations in the official trade log, verifying the delivered numbers against the original requested numbers from the previous fall.

But where is that last crutch? He frowned down at the columns filling the sheet.

Just then, puffing and panting drew his attention to the archway leading to the courtyard and Tayldis Bridge. Airith rounded the corner at a half-trot, carrying the missing crutch casually under an arm. Most of her attention was on one of her ever-present planning quires, where she regularly jotted down ideas for improvements and new construction, among other things.

“Hi honey!” Airith tossed the crutch casually onto the pile, and dropped a quick kiss on Lotu’s lips.

“Aren’t you supposed to be overseeing the magma flooding?”

“I decided to take a break. No worries, the mechanic Stodir is down there. That lad has a good head on his shoulders, he’ll be fine until I get back. I just need a drink and some down-time first. Join me?”

Lotu looked at her for a moment, glanced at the pile of goods, then tossed his trading log into a corner. “Sure! We haven’t spent much time together lately.”

Arm in arm, the couple headed up to the tavern.

--------------------

06 Sandstone 91

Spending most of yesterday with my gorgeous wife made today’s sanctioned robbery easier to bear.

Before Trade:                      After Trade:

I officially handed over the entire quota in exchange for some olivine boulders that the masons will turn into lovely doors. It broke my heart to have to pass on almost of the lovely metal that Mestthos could have melted down for re-use.

Lashedround, the lead trader, seemed particularly relieved to get everything. So much so that I get the feeling something’s wrong back in the mountainhomes. In fact, there have been rumors swirling around for days now, though none of the traders are willing to give any specifics. But they are acting very nervous about having to press north to Swordgangs. What is going on?

07 Sandstone 91

Apparently Sandstone is Hatching Month here at Atölasob.

There is one dwarf who will be happy with all of the extra leather, and that’s Olon. He works all hours of the day and night, and has been making noises about wanting to train a new assistant. Akrul’s put the kibosh on that though. As long as they’re not required for the quota, she insists that only one leatherworker is needed in a city this size.

08 Sandstone 91

Echoworked came to find me today, asking where he could find the Mayor. I was surprised, because Catten usually has an open door policy, so I went wandering.

I finally tracked Catten down in his forge. He’s barricaded the door somehow, and yelled at us to leave him alone until he finished.

I don’t blame him for wanting to put the meeting off as long as possible. All Echoworked does is bring bad news spiced with worse news.

--------------------

10 Sandstone 91

Catten lovingly polished the last corner of the anvil, then stood back and looked around the forge.

I’m going to have to fetch some more iron bars. And every time I look through that crack between the door and the wall, that Echoworked is loitering right outside the door. I guess I’m going to have to meet with him.

Sighing, he removed the heavy steel bar he had used as a make-shift door lock, and shoved the door open. “Come on, then.” Waving his hand impatiently, Catten headed toward his office, Echoworked following along like a well-trained dog.

“I’ve already been through the various herds and flocks, and you’re making steady progress. The King will be pleased.”

“Now, what requests do you have?”

Catten hunted through several neglected piles before finding the request list. “We need olivine and petrified wood boulders. Oh, and some platinum won’t come amiss.”

Echoworked made a note. “But you are still over the import cap, you’ll need to pick just one.”

Catten shrugged. “But next fall we may be back under. Lotu said that it’s only about 25,000.”

Echoworked shook his head, but didn’t spend time arguing. He had far too much experience dealing with administrators and their unrealistic expectations. Instead he withdrew a sheet of paper and slid it across the desk.

“Here are the requests from Swordgangs.:

Excellent! We can actually make all of this!

But Echoworked’s news quickly deflated Catten’s spirits.

The situation in the north was bad enough.

“Wait. Bomrek’s gone and done what?” Catten couldn’t believe what he had just heard.

“He’s provoked war with the Fleshy Silver. They’re the dwarves up north.”

“What does he think he’s doing?”

Echoworked shrugged. “No idea. But the attack in the spring has killed several, and Bomrek himself was severely injured.”

Huh. Maybe that’s why this quota is so much more reasonable, all of a sudden.

“But that’s not all.” Echoworked continued. “In the south…”

“But that’s—“

“The second largest mountainhome, yes. The Fleshy Silver don’t lack guts or brazenness.” Echoworked confirmed dryly.

Catten’s shock deepened as he continued.

“While Singedclasped is still in our hands, they were hit hard. The founding Clans have lost a combined number of almost 40 members, with almost as many Clan-less dead in the clash. It’s decimated the Singedclasped population, and many of the survivors are heading to Theaterknowledge, for safety.”

Swallowing hard, Catten forced himself to ask. “Do you have a list of the dead?”

Echoworked gently placed yet another sheet on the growing pile. “No one from Clan J died, but yours is a small clan to begin with. But,” Echoworked hesitated a moment, then plowed onward. “Singedclasped is Clan C’s seat of power. They were hit really hard, and almost thirty of the dead were either directly affiliated or immediate relatives.”

Catten nodded his understanding. There would be a lot of grief in the coming weeks and months as the locals mourned their far-distant dead.

“Which brings me to the last message I am bound to deliver.”

What, there’s even worse news?

“King Dodók and the Royal Council have instituted a new policy for all hillocks, outposts, villages, cities and mountainhomes.” In short, every possible settlement with more than two dwarves.

Echoworked paused, and Catten gestured for him to continue. Spit it out. Let’s get the worst part over with.

“Every couple’s first-born is required to join the military once they’ve reached maturity. And also, to ensure a steady flow of soldiers, every dwarf must marry, if a suitable partner is available.”

Catten blinked. “But that’s going to cause a lot of disruption. Do you have any idea how many hands it takes to make quota each year?”

Echoworked shrugged. “I don’t make policy. I just carry it out.”

Flattening his hands on the desk, he rose to his feet.

Catten made the appropriate response, already considering and discarding various ways of imparting the two pieces of bad news to everyone else.

I’ll need to call a meeting of the local Clan Council.

12 Sandstone 91

The caravan’s departure coincided with the gathering of the twenty dwarves who, together, comprised the local Clan Council. Studying the gathered faces, Catten discreetly rubbed damp palms along the sides of his trousers. This was his first time taking center stage at one of these meetings.

Opening his mouth to begin his report, he faltered on meeting Rigòth’s gaze.

“Come on, spit it out! I don’ haf all day!” Mebzuth was eager to get back to his glassworks.

“And the animals won’t train themselves!” Sigun was dealing with a difficult giant olm that kept willfully ignoring him.

Lotu was kinder. “Whatever it is, the sooner you tell us, the sooner we can deal with it.”

Catten nodded, and swallowed. “Singedclasped’s been attacked. So has Swordgangs. Over 40 of our immediate relatives are dead, and I don’t know how many were injured. I’ve divided the list out by Clan.” He handed out the copies. When Rigòth received hers, she went white. The others didn’t fare much better. Given how interconnected the powerful Clans were, most of the dead were related to two or more of the local heads, though Clan C was by far the largest.

“They’ll pay!” Imic snarled, and murmurs of agreement filled the meeting room.

“Yeah.” Catten jumped on the opening Imic had unwittingly provided. “And King Dodók’s making that a possibility.” He explained about the new military requirements.

Every couple?” Lyra had quickly grasped the implications. “But that means—“

“That Datan needs to begin her military training. Yes.”

Prince Edëm had no interest in being drafted. “One of my two older sisters, and several of my younger siblings chose to be soldiers. I’m exempt.” Crossing his arms across his somewhat thin chest, his glare dared anyone to gainsay him.

Fortunately, Catten had already considered this. “I think, any family that already has a soldier in a given generation can be classed as having fulfilled the necessary military service. So since most of us have soldier siblings elsewhere, it won’t affect our lives here very much. Especially since we need so many for quota each year.”

He turned to Lyra and Mooney. “But, since you only have one child, that does mean that Datan must become a soldier.”

Mooney nodded his understanding. “She’ll be a decent marksdwarf, mark my words.”

“And,” Catten turned to Prince Edëm. “It also means that your great-niece, Endok Boltprairies, will need to join Datan as a new recruit.”

Prince Edëm scowled in response, but stayed silent. Imic rolled his eyes. “Jus’ make sure there’s steel gear for ‘em all.”

Catten nodded, and made a note.

“The last thing—“

“There’s more?” Rigòth just wanted to get out of that room.

“Yes. By Royal Decree, all dwarfs are required to marry, should there be a suitable partner available. So, Kivish? You’ll need to dig out some rooms that the young folk can use for courting. Unless you’ve decided that you’re tired of mining, and want to return your pick to Lotu?”

Kivish shook his head. “Nope. I like mining. It’s soothing.”

“OK. That’s that, then. Is there any other business that we need to get to?”

One by one, each of the dwarves shook their heads. They would each need to spread news of the attacks to their respective Clans, and anything else took a very distant second at that moment.

13 Sandstone 91

As the Clan heads started moving through the fort, apprising their family members of their dead, Lorbam had already informed his nephew and niece-by marriage, Edzul and Akrul. He had lost a brother and sister-by-marriage, but burying himself in work was a panacea. So he and Akrul sat down to figure out the next quota-related work roster.

“All right. According to Mayor Catten, after Bomrek’s latest bout of idiocy, Swordgangs is down to 68 dwarves.” Lorbam chewed on his quill as he ran some mental calculations, then began scrawling numbers in the margin.

A few minutes later, he quickly sprinkled sand over the fresh ink, then handed the sheet over to Akrul.

Akrul scanned down the numbers. “This will be easy. I’ll just have the masons focus on hives and jugs. We can use the extras to make honey. And for the rest, the only things we need to make are the rings, blocks and anvils. Easy enough. I’ll get the production orders going now.”

27 Sandstone 91

“Lotu!” The dull roar echoed on the walls of the Central Spire, preceding Mayor Catten as he stampeded up to the tavern. Bursting through the doors, he made a beeline to Lotu’s table.

“It’s all your fault!”

Lotu looked up, warily. “What is?”

“You violated an export ban!”

“I did?”

“Don't play the innocent with me! I said no earrings were to leave the city!”

“Oh, that.” Lotu finished his goblet of wine. “I decided King Dodók’s orders trumped yours. ‘Whatever Bomrek wants, Bomrek gets.’ “

“I don’t care! You disobeyed a direct order.”

Lotu shrugged. “What are you going to do about it?”

“Gua—!“ Catten stopped midword. Atölasob, unlike a typical dwarven city, didn’t have a Fortress Guard. Nor a prison, for that matter.

“You, you, you’ll…you’ll dump the remaining troglodyte skeletons and bits. That’s what you’ll do.”

Lotu grimaced. Just seeing those remains was disturbing enough. Dumping them… Carrying down so many levels to the magma sea far below…

He sighed, and rose. I might as well get it over with. “Yes, Mayor.” He started toward the door.

“And the others who helped you have the same punishment.”

Lotu just nodded, and went to gather his partners in crime.

Catten watched him go, then turned to Airith, who was still sitting at the table. “I need a prison area set up. See to it, will you?”

Airith shook her head. "We don't have any chains."

Catten snorted in disgust. "Of course we don't. I'll get Akrul to add them to the city's to-do list."

04 Timber 91

Relieved at escaping a hammering, Lotu was almost cheerful as he started ferrying the troglodyte remains downward.

OOC: The purple dwarf in the hallway is Lotu, the gray dwarf in the doorway is Airith.

Airith walked alongside, carrying her own load. “You know, you probably wouldn’t have needed to deliver the earrings. If Bomrek’s that badly injured, he’ll likely have forgotten, and I’m sure the King now has bigger worries.”

Lotu shrugged. “Well, I couldn’t know that, now could I? And I figured it would be better to keep the dwarf with the big army happy, rather than the Mayor without a single Guard.”

“I’m just saying.” Airith responded. “Isn’t it better to keep those close at hand happy?”

Lotu huffed out a sharp breath. “Well, whatever I did, someone was going to yell at me. I decided that I didn’t want it to be the King. Maybe he would have been even more stringent about military service, I don’t know. But I do know that he can always make things much worse.”

“Hmm.” Airith dumped her load. “Well, there’s a mine cart with my name on it. Good luck with this.”

17 Timber 91

Mayor Catten looked up at a knock on the door.

Who gave a goblin residence???

The goblin in question was starting to get uncomfortable, standing in front of the seated dwarf’s desk. “Well? I can help with the brewing or with the woodcrafting. I’m pretty good at both.”

Quirking his lips, Mayor Catten rolled his eyes. “Leave the brewing to the dwarves. I’ve tasted that swill goblins call a drink, and I won’t have any of that piss in this city. And as we don’t have any wooden crafts to make, you can make yourself useful by carving some bones, instead. That sounds rather up your alley, doesn’t it?”

The goblin broke into a grin. “Thank you! And call me Dorsi. It sounds more dwarfish, doesn’t it?”

“Fine.” Mayor Catten made a shooing motion with his hand. “Why don’t you get to work?”

--------------------

19 Timber 91

Airith says that the entrance level to Robek’s temple is now fully obsidianized.

There are now three levels to go, and it’s time to wait again while the water evaporates enough to not waste the next flow of magma.

23 Timber 91

Imic and NCommander’s youngest started walking today.

Of the seven of us founders, they are the only ones with more than one child. The gods have seen fit to bless them with four.

24 Timber 91

Free at last! Atîs finally dumped the last mangled troglodyte skeleton this afternoon, which means our month of hard labor is over. Catten should be pleased, as he won’t be hearing complaints about the horrible skeletons littering the Central Spire’s upper cavern entrance, or Imic’s temporary battle-training area.

I have to admit to a fair amount of relief myself. Those things are disturbing.

--------------------

28 Timber 91

Akrul headed toward the mayor’s office, humming a cheerful little tune she had heard in the tavern the day before.

Glancing down at the quota report sheet she held, she smiled.

This year will be no problem at all!

Edited for typos.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:29:56 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 06, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »

Current character list:

Spoiler: Clan A Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan B Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan C Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan D Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan E Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan F Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan G Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan H Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan I Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan J Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan W Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan X Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Y Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Clan Z Civilians (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unknown Parentage (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Following are updated profiles for all claimed characters in the order in which they appear on the units list:
Spoiler: Lyra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Imic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Airith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Another (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NCommander (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MrLurkety (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mooney (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spriggans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dr. Urist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lotu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Autuz (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ryukan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dorsi (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 06, 2018, 05:10:20 pm »

I... This...

1812 overture intensifies
I've ben off the internet for a while now, so I have a bit of up-catching to do, so it seems.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 06, 2018, 05:54:00 pm »

I've ben off the internet for a while now

Glad to see you back!  :)

- Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 06, 2018, 07:07:07 pm »

@Rovod: Hm. Anyone can harvest + eligible for having planting enabled when coming of age due having the skill?

@Temple: Don't forget the obsidian flooring.

@olivine: Wasn't there supposed to be two items this caravan, using expedition leader's priviledge?

@Catten: Hm...Toss earrings into minecart, have Catten themselves haul it to depot? Can mayors punish themselves for  their own export ban violations?

(Though RP-wise, Catten would never do it.)

[ah, too late]

@Export:

So, will you export metal...or ash or soap bars?

I'm thinking Bomrek is building jail cells.

I also recall when anvil request had much teeth gnashing attached.

@Every dwarf must marry:

Well this is pretty crazy, relatively speaking. Constructing and assigning several dozen marriage burrows....I wrote relations-indicator after a fraction of the annoyance.

You probably already have a plan, but just in case I recommend not half-assing it.

Also note if you're serious about breeding: one has to force "No Job" meetings as well; they're relatively infrequent on their own, as you can observe from the founders with mere single child. Even semi-regularly burrowing my main 4 pairs into area resulted in significant birthrate differences between them.

@goblin citizen:

Huh. Goblin brewer.

Goblins have [NO_DRINK].

Jeesh, Catten's words are like Elite Marksdorf's bolts - accurate and hit hard.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 06, 2018, 07:27:35 pm »

@Rovod: Hm. Anyone can harvest + eligible for having planting enabled when coming of age due having the skill?
Yep, pretty sure this is why.  But we really don't need another planter.

@Temple: Don't forget the obsidian flooring.
Not there yet, but it is in the notes to be taken care of when I start mining the obsidian out.  There are big letters: LEAVE OBSIDIAN WALLS and CAVE-IN FLOORS.   :P

@olivine: Wasn't there supposed to be two items this caravan, using expedition leader's priviledge?
Ahh, typo.  Meant to be "boulders", I've fixed it now.

Can mayors punish themselves for  their own export ban violations?
I don't think so.  In any case, the violators are chosen at random (I think), it was sheer luck that Lotu himself appeared on the list.

So, will you export metal...or ash or soap bars?
There's still lots of ash and potash lying around, and things like lead bars which we've been getting from smelting galena ore.  I don't like lead for anything, it's too heavy, so exporting it seems like an option.  And there's 279 bars of charcoal that we're using less of as the magma-powered workshops start coming online.  Though soap is also easy to make these days, if I get the lye production back into gear.

I also recall when anvil request had much teeth gnashing attached.
We somehow have 136 bars of iron...?  The only explanation I can come up with is melting the dead visitors' crappy gear, and the one caravan where Lotu traded for tons of iron stuff, before the import ban was instituted.  I haven't even started digging out the iron ores we've gotten access to with all of the passage-way digging.  I think we can probably afford a few anvils at this point.  And the plus side of the anvils is that it's training the metalsmiths (primarily the mayor, Catten, though Endok Boltprairies has been dabbling as well).

@Every dwarf must marry:
<snip>

Yes, I am aware of the difficulties, and "courting suites" have been planned from the beginning.  I actually have a much bigger long-range plan involving the kids, but the story hasn't gotten to a trigger point for that, yet.

- Dame de la Licorne

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36