Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 59222 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 08:11:54 am »

Well, that's new interpretation of the import agreement. So, Sodul and Lotu have a grudge against each other?

I'd be quite surprised if you had no hemp, cotton, ramie or kenaf as far as plant cloth goes, though.

For fish, though...Might need to go see if you can catch aquifer turtles, or cave fishes.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2016, 09:50:47 am »

So, Sodul and Lotu have a grudge against each other?

Not yet, but they're not showing up on each other's relationship screen at all, so I'm going with it.

I'd be quite surprised if you had no hemp, cotton, ramie or kenaf as far as plant cloth goes, though.

I'm supposed to have them (according to DFHack's region-pops), but Mooney hasn't found any yet...

For fish, though...Might need to go see if you can catch aquifer turtles, or cave fishes.

The fish has me worried.  So far Mestthos (the fisherdwarf) keeps saying "there is nothing to catch..."  And one of the first things I did after the export agreement was to dig out a pool in the eastern aquifer.  I'm digging another one in the western aquifer (different biome), so we shall see.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2016, 10:11:26 am »

If they're not showing up, they might not have talked to each other. Can happen with being constantly busy or away.

0 of fiber plants on prospect either? Will have to wait, then. Though caverns might have preexistent pig tails to gather with herbalist.

Did you enforce zone-only fishing? I see there's also a murky pool on the surface.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2016, 10:43:03 am »

This is a masterwork cat leather journal, it is bound with pigtail thread
i've been thinking about how we can defend this place...

:===><

: is a roller that rolls west
= is a ew track
> Is a downwards track that points west
< Is a downwards track that points east

Use this neverending minecart ossilater to defend any 2 wide entrance

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:01 am »

FYI, it works better if you compact it smaller. Schematics for simplest minecart bouncer: ▒ ▲ ▲ ▒ EW tracks on both - can be more dangerous with opposing highest speed rollers, but that defeats the point of simple kea/thieving kobold/goblin defence. (Need half a dozen of heavy carts to actually deal with mere goblin sieges - trolls cause it to jam.)

For heavy surrounding-destroying assault such as clown car, you should prefer a percussion corridor or watergun - both are unjammable.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge/Community)
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2016, 05:44:28 pm »

3 Moonstone 75

“Thief!  Protect the hoard quota from skulking flith!”  Airith raised the cry.

But before the militia could be summoned, the kobold had already taken to her heels, racing south.

“We need more walls.”  Airith decided, inspecting the location.  “Imic, when you have a moment, could you cut down that tree that’s in the way?”

“I’ll do it after I finish my cabbage!”  Imic called over his shoulder, not slowing his pace.

“There’s another one!” Ushrir cried from her position in the crafting workshop.

“Tayldis sorry!  Tayldis sorry!  Tayldis leaving!  Tayldis gone!”

“That name sounds familiar…”  Airith murmured.  “Wasn’t he here last summer?”

Ushrir nodded in agreement.  “That sounds about right.  Not a very successful thief, is he?”

12 Moonstone 75

As it turned out, Lokum ended up cutting down the offending tree, since Imic decided some martial practice was more important than dealing with a random tree.

As Airith inspected the construction, occasionally knocking or kicking the framework to check for weaknesses, she came across the last weak point in the wall.

The access to the trading depot.

Tilting her head from side to side, she circled the opening, inspecting it from all sides.

A drawbridge would work, but with all the stuff we have to do… ”Ushrir!”

She headed for the crafters, where Ushrir was slowly making rings and more bolts.  The latter looked up from her work.  “What?”

“Can you set the dogs to guard the entrance?  That should be enough to discourage any more thieves until I can get around to designing a proper drawbridge.”

“Sure.  Give me a minute.”

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

25 Moonstone 75

The glassmaker, Mebzuth, has been complaining that he has no bags for sand.  Further investigation revealed that all of the sand bags had been used to store various seeds, pits, and plantable fruit.

Which begs the question, why do we need to save peach pits?  They’re useless!  I’ll be getting rid of them at the first opportunity, but for now I’ve ordered them dumped with the kea corpses.

Sodel has also been complaining that he has no work, because we have no plant cloth to make bracelets.  A look at the stockpile showed both silk and wool, so I asked him to make more bags out of that.

I wouldn’t say he was happy about it, but having some practical work to do did seem to appease him.

2 Opal 75

Two of the dogs gave birth to puppies today.  I ordered the puppies moved to the pasture, where they can play in safety.  As I write this, I can see them romping fearlessly around among the other animals.

3 Obsidian 75

A distant cry attracted the leatherworker Olon’s attention.  Cocking his head, he listened intently.

“Help!  Help!  I’m stuck!”

Following the cries, Olon headed south, past the skeletal framework of the southern drainage system.  Eventually realizing that the cries were coming from a bitter orange tree, he looked up to see the glassmaker Mebzuth high above.

“Whatch’er doin’ up thar?”

“I saw another kobold and climbed up here to get away, but now I don’t know how to get down.  And I desperately need a drink.”

“Hol’ on.  I’ll be righ’ back.”  Shaking his head, Olon quickly fetched three units of logs and built a staircase upward.  Then again, this is mild compared to some of things he did on the journey north.

“Oh, thank you, thank you!  I owe you a drink!”

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

6 Obsidian 75

The last camel calf finished growing today, giving us three male two-humped camels, so Erib slaughtered the oldest one.  It gave us 28 units of meat, which should have moved us significantly toward meeting that quota.

But Sodel, Lokum and Minkot promptly ate three units.  I came upon them in the dining room, traces of evidence still in front of them.

I have no doubt Sodel put the others up to it.  Always the rebel, that one.

As a result, I have forbidden everyone from eating the remaining 25 units. 

On the positive side, I now know we can meet the meat quota, even if we have to slaughter our other camels.

But I hope Olin’s cage traps work.

16 Obsidian 75

Uvash has been behaving very…secretively. 

He apparently kicked Olin out of her carpentry and has since been roaming everywhere, looking for stuff.  He bumped into me in the hallway, and didn’t even apologize, muttering all the while about “wood” and “stone”.

18 Obsidian 75

Uvash has now barricaded himself in the carpentry.

I wonder what he’s doing?

25 Obsidian 75

Well, Uvash has emerged, holding his project up high to be admired.

A cage.  Well, at least it’s useful.  I took a closer look.

Wait a minute.  “The Lessened Hills.”  That’s here

Fuck.

At least, now I know what to do with that cage.

And getting through the aquifer to some real stone just got crucial.  I need to go talk to Airith about finishing the pumps.  I think we almost have enough components, assuming Mebzuth hasn't disappeared up a tree again.

28 Obsidian 75

Spring comes tomorrow, not that we can tell the difference here.  It’s still hot, and rains regardless of the season.  The only difference appears to be bearable versus scorching heat.

Anyway, here is our progress toward meeting quota.

It is reassuring to see that we are making progress.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OOC: Fortunately winter was pretty quiet, so I was able to play through to spring today.  At the beginning of spring, both of the aquifer ponds I've dug out are displaying fishable tiles.  I'm hoping Mestthos will be able to fish from those (I have zone-only fishing).  I've never had an issue getting fish before, so I don't know what it is with this fort.  :-\

Currently-dwarfed list:
Spoiler: Starting Seven: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2016, 11:36:12 pm »

I feel like there's a bug relating to artifact cages.

Though I do feel like you should stick the sucker in your jail, you'll get happy thoughts from it.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 02:00:07 am »

Yeah, artifact cages had some "easy to escape" bug iirc.

I'd consider it somewhat unlucky - cages, chains and animal traps are the only moodable furniture a Building Destroyer can't target.

Though I suppose NCommander is right, it is a beautiful cage. Hey, if you're already having dogsplosion....Or Tayldis. Sticking him in a cage without harming him is going to require a bit of planning.

For the rest of the cages, a wild animal who sits in a cage doesn't count against pop limits, so you can slowly skill up animal trainer on them by letting them constantly revert. Or you could pit them into a room to stop wildlife coming from map, with leather benefits upon slicing apart.

Regarding seeds, annoyingly minecarts won't pick them up unless in bags (rather defeats the point).

If you want to QSP them, you'll have to use older methods such as water pushing them then falling down the stairs stockpile was laid out, cancelling the pathway to them or just the old d-b-d.

...And then have dwarves come and put them back in now free bags anyway, even with bins and barrels both set to 0 T.T

Though they may vroom 300 (embark-sized bag) of (same seeds?) in a single tile up in a single bag, not the piddly 10 or 20 they end up with otherwise.

Last but first, I see you're nearly finished with the walls. Are you going to build or dig overhangs, or roof it over for shade from the heat?

Speaking of which, maybe see if you can make the trading depot sealable from outside while it has access to the inside of fort. Over month-long window for attackers is not really safe, however you could link a retracting bridge to the same lever you'll link the raising bridge.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07:19 am »

This is a great story, I hope you keep it up!
Can we see more of your progress underground? You have only hinted at it going well.
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 12:09:11 pm »

Can we see more of your progress underground? You have only hinted at it going well.

Unfortunately, it isn't.  I haven't even started on the aquifer yet (though all necessary underground sections have been dug and appropriately walled-off), because I need all hands building/manning anti-kea defenses above ground and working towards quota.  Those birds are a menace.  Not that they're dangerous, but the constant "Urist McDwarf cancels [very important job]: Interrupted by kea" has brought production to a crawl (because of course all jobs right now are dependent on either wood or above-ground plants).  And they keep suspending construction on the very things that are going to protect them.   ::)  As a side-note, Mooney has racked up eight fort kills so far (his militia-mates don't have any).

Plus, this map apparently has absolutely 0 fish (two fisherdwarves aren't finding any, and turtles aren't listed in DFHack's region-pops at all), so I'm going to have to get creative on that part of the quota (and maybe on the cloth part too, I still haven't found any cloth-producing plants other than rope reeds, and the humans didn't bring any useful seeds).  Although, I've discovered some interesting little details in the various relationships screens, that hopefully will make my solution work story-wise.  Still, it's the first time (that I remember) that I haven't had any fish available in the aquifer pools.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:11:41 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 01:41:32 pm »

Hm....It sounds like you're encountering

Kadǒl cancels build kea genocide chamber: Interrupted by a Kea

Bit amusing happenstance.

MinerMan60101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:35 pm »

You may want to simply burrow your miner permanently underground (until you can mine stone) and make the only entrance underground be through a non pet passable door.

This does make the story more interesting/challenging though
Keas are the Cliff Racers of Dwarf Fortress, both flying nuisances interrupting you whilst playing a game which you wish would become extinct.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2016, 02:03:07 pm »

This is a masterwork cat leather journal, it is bound with pigtail thread
Kobolds Kobolds and more Kobolds.. Eck

Im thinking about making something intresting now.
Sketches of a trap are seen below, some of them are quite intresting

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2016, 03:02:39 pm »

Oh yeah. Regarding fishing situation, are there any cave fishes in region-pops?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »

Oh yeah. Regarding fishing situation, are there any cave fishes in region-pops?

Yes, whole bunches, but for those I need to get past the aquifer (unless the first cavern overlaps it, which was the case in my previous fort).

You may want to simply burrow your miner permanently underground (until you can mine stone) and make the only entrance underground be through a non pet passable door.

I need every dwarf who is not actually making quota-related items or in the military building defensive super-structure.  Burrowing one is not an option.  Not to mention, he's my most fighting-effective civilian, and the only one who isn't running in a panic from 1 kg birds.

-Dame de la Licorne

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 36