Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60405 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: The Story of Atolasob
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 03:32:44 am »

Paper

Scattered notes of Dr. Urist

Oh, the supplies came. I know most of them ain't for us but... maybe we can get a bit of paper from them? Then, if I get a table and chair in the dining-library, I could write some stuff!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 10:29:41 am »

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

2 Limestone 75

The Unending Kea Panic of 75 has taught me one thing.  We need walls, or we'll be spending all our time chasing animals.  Looking around, I realized that Imic had been rather efficient at chopping wood, and we have plenty of the stuff.  Personally, I would rather it be stone, but we need to keep that for aquifer-breaching purposes.  The wood will do for now.

While I was out walking the perimeter, planting stakes avery few bots to mark where the walls should go, I startled yet another kobold straight into one of the muskoxen.

The Great Kobold Chase ensued, as the militia interrupted their training to run the oversize vermin off.

Those things always seem to work in groups.

Once Imic, Mooney and Lokum were satisfied that the would-be thieves were well on the run, they returned to their makeshift training area.

12 Limestone 75

We have spotted the caravan in the distance.  Finally!  We will be able to send messages home, and learn the latest news.  I look forward to seeing new faces for the next few days.

But, looking over our supplies, I realize we have very little to trade.  Damn those keas.

Imic also came to me, displaying his leather leggings, which are now looking very worn.  He wants a new pair and, barring that, some leather to make new ones.  I told him to take the worn ones to the depot, as the traders might take them, and I'll do my best to get him some new ones too.

I have started a list of things we need:
1) One complete set of armor for Lokum.
2) A replacement set of leggings for Imic.
3) A quiver for Mooney (somehow the mountainhome neglected to pack one for him).
4) Metal to make an axe for Lokum.
5) Extra metal for various projects.

Dr. Urist just popped her head in.  She wants

6) Paper.

I'm sure more will be added as the others realize things they must have.
__________________________________________________________________________________

13 Limestone 75

"Ah, there you are!"

Lotu turned around and beheld

"Oh, hullo.  Whom do I have the pleasure...?"  His voice trailed off expectantly.

Lotu felt his stomach drop.  This was their contact with Whippedesteem.  Well, maybe he's a reasonable sort of fellow?

"Would you like a drink?"  He gestured toward the nearby barrel of rice beer.

"That would be wonderful.  I'm paaarched!"

Once both dwarves had a cup of beer, Lotu led Logem over to the dining area.

Logem proceeded to relate the latest news.

"Wait wait wait.  Wait."

Lotu grabbed his map and spread it on the table, pulling out his pen at the same time.  "Could you please repeat that?"

Once Lotu had jotted down his notes, Logem continued.  "Let's discuss what you need, and what Swordgangs requires."

"Swordgangs?  No, we're supposed to be supplying Whippedesteem!"

Lotu was astonished to learn that King Dodok had confused his outposts.  Isn't a King supposed to, you know, know where everything is?

He updated the maps.

To the south of the mountain range The Walls of Stilling:

To the north of the mountain range The Walls of Stilling:

"There are fifty dwarves in Swordgangs, all dependent on you to meet their needs.  King Dodok is confident that you will be up to the task."

Wonderful.  And there are twelve eleven of us, without counting the child.

"Now what do you need?"

As Lotu started to go down the list, Logem suddenly held up a finger.

"Oh, I almost forgot.  King Dodok instructed me to inform you that, due to the vast and dangerous distance between Finderboards and the Mountainhomes, he strongly encourages you to produce everything yourselves.  To that end, he has decreed that you cannot keep more than 25,000 coin-equivalents in imported material in stock."

"And...if we do?"

"One of my duties will be to examine your settlement from top to bottom, and report any infringement."

In an apparent non-sequitor, he asked, "Do you remember Urist Addlepated?"

Lotu nodded slowly.  He hadn't known the dwarf personally, but he knew of him.

"Do you know why he suffered that particular fate?"

Lotu shook his head, reluctantly.  I'm not going to like this.

"King Dodok wanted a spear made of sand pear wood, and Urist brought him one made of pear wood."

I knew I wasn't going to like this.

Logem continued, "I'm sure you can imagine what his reaction would be if an entire settlement disobeyed his orders."

"Point made.  If you'll excuse me, I need to double-check something before we nail down the details."

Lotu got out of there as fast as was polite.

Double-check something, right.  More like gather everyone together and figure out a plan.  What does King Dodok have against us, anyway?  Screwing with us like this?  Does he want us to fail?

No.

Not on my watch.  Not to my friends.  No way.  No frigging hell.  We.  Will.  NOT.  Fail!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

OOC:  For the outpost name (Whippedesteem->Swordgangs), I read my notes wrong and just realized it.  I also thought the maps might be useful, so I'll be posting an updated one each time the liaison comes.  It's interesting to note that on the north region map, only the two marked sites belong to our civ.  The others belong to "The Fleshy Silver" who are currently duking it out with elves.  Note on the south region map, Singedclasped and Theaterknowledge have white symbols because both of those sites share an embark region tile with an abandoned outpost.  The actual mountainhomes are very much lived-in (according to legends and the exported text files).

Also, in case it hasn't been made clear, the rules of this fort (so far) are as follows:

1) Export everything in the export agreement with the dwarven caravan each year.  (The first caravan is a "pass" since we don't have an export agreement yet.)
2) Use it or lose it.  Everything we import must either be used in some way (so it isn't included in the import figure of the 'z' screen, and we will only decorate things we produce, so that exploit won't be used), or traded on to one of the caravans.
3) The punishment for breaking #2 has not yet been set (I have several ideas), but I'm open to suggestions (which is why the reference in-character is cryptic).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:35:54 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 10:39:12 am »

What about, like a stack of gypsum plaster sitting in the hospital, waiting for emergencies?

Or paper sitting in the library (in small amounts)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 10:46:36 am »

Oooh, an export challenge. Are you going to try and make everything they want or just export what you have?

In that case, you need to be careful NOT to become a mountain home else the liaison will go away. Unless you turned on merchant nobility.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:26 am »

You haven't been cooking those gathered plants, I take it? A well-designed salad (cook everything in container) can have 7-digit value, matching adamantine trap compontents blow for blow.

As for the punishment, one thing that I have only seen in OPs so far is going off to found a new site. With migrants from previous forts coming to next ones, this should be possible to use repeatedly. This would also make the maps more useful, especially if you're besieged.

As for decorations, haha. I almost never decorate anything myself...Poor jewelers :p

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 11:00:02 am »

What about, like a stack of gypsum plaster sitting in the hospital, waiting for emergencies?

Or paper sitting in the library (in small amounts)

We can make gypsum powder (The Figure of Diving has access to gypsum rock, which is cheaper than bags of the powder), and bought sheets can easily be turned into quires, which can also be stored in the library and used for writing.

But cases like that are why I made the limit 25,000, and I'm also limiting migrant waves, only allowing them in when the story demands it.  My experience doing this in test forts is that the first two migrant waves won't bring enough to throw the imported amount over that limit (unless we get an unusually big wave).  And if we are over the limit, we have until the caravan leaves each year to get back under.  The clothing immigrants wear is the biggest potential issue, but as long as I keep the waves small and have made-on-site clothes for them to change into as soon as their clothes start showing wear (and don't give them cabinets until they don't own any imported clothes anymore), I should be able to trade give away enough that we can stay under the import cap.  Besides, if it was easy, it wouldn't be a challenge, would it?

It's actually one of the reasons I really like this world.  Swordgangs was generated where it is (I didn't embark/retire there), and the massive distance between it and the rest of civilization gave me the initial idea for this fort.

Oooh, an export challenge. Are you going to try and make everything they want or just export what you have?

We have to make everything (otherwise it's not really a challenge).  And yes, that means keeping some metal/rock on hand until we can breach the aquifer.

In that case, you need to be careful NOT to become a mountain home else the liaison will go away.

That's actually pretty easy, as long as I don't offer anything to the caravans (and I never do until/unless I decide I want to deal with the monarch).  I just need to hope that none of my dwarves inherit the position.

You haven't been cooking those gathered plants, I take it?

No, but that's part of the plan.  At least one of the migrants will end up spending their entire life in the kitchen/brewery.

As for the punishment, one thing that I have only seen in OPs so far is going off to found a new site. With migrants from previous forts coming to next ones, this should be possible to use repeatedly. This would also make the maps more useful, especially if you're besieged.

And this is being held in reserve as the most severe punishment possible, if we continuously exceed the import cap, or do so by a lot (e.g. we fail to protect a caravan and/or fail to dispose of the evidence in a timely manner).

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:04:13 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 11:20:55 am »

Rocks are cheaper than powder, yes, but they weight more. Granted, I have no idea if they will bring bigger wagons for that or just less stuff.

It'd be thematically appropriate to import the materials the dozen dwarves like, however.

Did you set migrant cap at 19 dwarves, or are you planning on atomsmashing some attackers' (clothes)?

If you're truly planning on actually doing much beneath the aquifer, the sooner you pierce it the less you have to relocate and replan. Wider holes for living spaces can be more easily made after the pierce as well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:23:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Rocks are cheaper than powder, yes, but they weight more. Granted, I have no idea if they will bring bigger wagons for that or just less stuff.

My experience is that they bring more wagons, but they may be responding to me "overpaying" instead.

It'd be thematically appropriate to import the materials the dozen dwarves like, however.

I'm not sure how much I could get given the cap, but story-wise that would add flavor, and I have a spreadsheet of everything they like for later reference.

Did you set migrant cap at 19 dwarves, or are you planning on atomsmashing trading some attackers' (clothes)?
No, and FTFY.

If you're truly planning on actually doing much beneath the aquifer, the sooner you pierce it the less you have to relocate and replan. Wider holes for living spaces can be more easily made after the pierce as well.

The aquifer is the priority.  Why do you think I keep referencing Lotu digging out this or that part of the "aquifer-breaching system"?  Besides, everything I'm digging out right now has an immediate purpose and long-term purpose.  That's how I've done things ever since I figured out how to breach my second aquifer (cuts down on OCD-related rage-quitting).

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 11:44:59 am »

Heh, the loophole of trading things away didn't occur to me after reading breadbowl.

Hm. What are you doing with migrant cap then, rolling cap with that dfhack plugin? What's it set at :3 ?

Didn't really connect Lotu digging to breaching the aquifer thanks to that huuuugeee digging areas you screenshotted earlier and due shallow aquifers being very quick to breach :P

I take it is deep aquifer, then?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »

Hm. What are you doing with migrant cap then, rolling cap with that dfhack plugin? What's it set at :3 ?

Right now it's set at 50, in the init file.  When I decide that enough migrants have arrived, I'll change it to something different (usually ~10), to simulate "no one wants to come."

I take it is deep aquifer, then?

There's one level of clay aquifer and several levels of stone aquifer underneath (I modded mudstone to be aquifer-bearing because I like aquifers, though the deep ones are a bit time-consuming to breach).  It's why I brought a crap-load of color-coded rocks (the color-coding is for me and, other than Olin liking petrified wood (a happy accident), doesn't have any in-story meaning).  :P

Didn't really connect Lotu digging to breaching the aquifer thanks to that huuuugeee digging areas you screenshotted earlier and due shallow aquifers being very quick to breach :P

Keep in mind, I showed you the plan of the lowest aquifer-free level.  You've since seen smaller snapshots of a part of it, and sections above, but what is happening in the parts you haven't seen...?   Dum-dum-duuuuumm.

You might be surprised where Lotu is digging.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:33:53 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »

I'm still waiting for the day Dwarf Fortress gives me the legendary "No one else even considered making the journey to this cursed death-trap." message. I've managed (with DFHack to get): "Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb."

I don't hate aquifers, but I dislike the backlog of migrants you get if it takes awhile to get through. Autounsuspend from DFHack makes it much more bareable.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »

Hm, siege 2 level. Did you also adjust siege attack levels?

This means that the fort will get full with first 4 migrant waves or so, I suppose. Still, 50 names takes a while to learn u.u

As for mudstone aquifer, I guess you'll get dabbling engraving for moods as side effect then.

Though I recently relearned that aquifers spew water downwards when I started digging out workshops. Oops :P

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »

OOC:  With the holiday weekend (4th of July in US), I don't know how much DF time I'll get.  I'll try to post at least the rest of autumn today or tomorrow, but feel free to RP!   :)

-Dame de la Licorne

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 05:08:56 pm »

So I do have a request. On the offhand chance you get a blowgun, I'd like to have my dwarf try and level up in it. You'll probably need a bolt spliter to keep a steady supply of usable darts, but I really would like it for the lol factor.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2016, 07:05:31 am »

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

14 Limestone 75

Well, it took a few days, but Logem and I were able to hash out the import agreement.  I requested leather so that we can make some more armor and a quiver for Mooney.  I also asked for thread, cloth, and some cheap metal, because it’s always useful to have that on hand.  I’ve also asked for some gypsum, so that we can make our own gypsum powder.

Take that, King Dodok!  We’ll make the things we need.

The export agreement is below.

They’re crazy.

As Logem was leaving, he happened to mention that the elves had seemed interested in visiting when the dwarven caravan stopped in their inn overnight.  And he was most particular about the fact that elves, apparently, won’t take anything dead.  So no wood or animal products.  As I accompanied him to the edge of the map (in the name of hospitality), I couldn’t help but notice all the piles of logs lying around, and thinking of all the wooden things we’ve made so far.

Maybe, but I doubt it.  I do know one thing.

The elves are going to hate us.

14 Limestone 75 (that evening)

The dwarves had gathered around the dining table to discuss the plan.  All except Udil, who was playing…somewhere, no one seemed to know where, or really cared.

Lotu started to take charge, as always, when Sodel burst out with, “Who died and left you in charge?”

Lotu fired back, “I didn’t pick this job, I was put in it.  If you think you can do it better, then be my guest.  Take it up with the king and I’ll gladly give this to you!”  He waved the sheaf of papers Logem had left.

Leaning his palms on the table he leaned forward.  “But right now, I’m in charge.  You got a problem with that?”

A minute passed, then another as the two dwarves locked stares, neither one blinking.

Finally, Sodel leaned backward.  “Fine.  Ye’re in charge.”  Too quietly for the other to hear, he murmured, “Fer now.”

Lotu nodded and glanced down at his notes.  “OK, some of this is going to be really easy.  They want rings and ammo.  Ushrir, can you take care of that?”

Ushrir nodded.  She was more than ready for a change from masonry, and happily accepted the list Lotu handed her.

“They also want blocks.  We need our stone for the aquifer, but there’s tons of wood lying around.  Olin, can you make them some?”

Olin rolled her eyes at yet another task, but nodded and accepted her portion of the list fairly cheerfully, for her.

Lotu checked his master list and moved on.  “Sodel, I’m assigning you to weaving-“

“I cain’t weave.  I’m a clothier.”

“How much cloth have you got right now?”

Sodel frowned but reluctantly admitted “None.”

“If you don’t weave, you won’t have any cloth to work with.”

Sodel snorted irritably.  “Give me that list.” 

Scanning it he yelped, “I have to make how many cloth bracelets??”

“There are fifty dwarves there, so fifty, according to Logem.”

“We don’t have that much cloth!”

Lotu responded, “I know.  I’m going to be speaking to the traders tomorrow, I’m pretty sure I saw some cloth bins as they were unloading.  How many bracelets can you make from one piece of cloth?”

“Hum.”  Sodel thought for a moment.  “Anywhere from one to three, depends on the cloth.”

“Dr. Urist, you’re the ma-“

Urist didn’t let him finish.  “He’ll need 17 units of cloth to make 51 bracelets, assuming he can get three bracelets per cloth piece.”

Lotu made a note.  “I’ll try to get a minimum of 17 units of cloth then.  That’s about two bins worth.  And we’ll need 50 units of leather to make quivers.”

Sodel had continued to scan the list.  “And 150 pieces of actual cloth?  We can’t produce that much!  Not without silk!”

Lotu nodded in agreement.  “But we can try.  I’ll get as much thread as I can from the traders, that’ll give us a start.  Then, if they have any cave thistle seeds, I’ll take a day away from the drainage system and carve out an underground farm plot, so we can start to grow that.”

Sodel wasn’t finished.  “But we won’t have any cave thistle to process until almost winter, if we’re lucky, and someone will need to process it before I can do anything with it.  We’re never going to satisfy this.”

“If we don’t, it won’t be because we didn’t try.” Lotu responded, then moved on before Sodel could muster another argument.  “The next item is bars.  We can fill that by making ash and charcoal, since we have no metal and they failed to specify what they wanted, so we need someone to become a wood burner for a little while.”  He made another note.

“What about the cut gems?” Erib asked.

“We’ve got all that stone, maybe someone can practice gem cutting.”  Airith suggested.

Heads nodded around the table so Lotu made another note.

“Which brings me to the last items.  Meat & fish.  One of us will have to learn to fish, and hunt-“

“No.”  Mooney interrupted.  “Wooden bolts are useless for hunting, and I need every metal one to defend against the depredations of those pesky birds!”

“Then-“

“No hunting.”  Imic corroborated.  “Not until this one,” he jabbed his thumb towards Lokum, “learns that axes have blades!”

“Couldn’t he-“

“No!  Either I train him, or he’s a danger to life and limb to everybody,” a finger jabbed in emphasis with each word, “sitting in this room!”

“Fine, no hunting.  How do you suggest we get meat then?  Butchering our animals would mean no meat later.”

Olin spoke up.  “Couldn’t we, you know, cage the wildlife or something?  I know we need mechanisms to power Airith’s pumps, but surely we could use some to make traps?  I know I can make cages, no problem.”

“Oooh, yes!  And I can tame them, and then we breed them and we get meat!”  Ushrir clearly liked that suggestion.

“That will take more than a year.”  Erib said crushingly.

“Not if we capture two or more males and females of each.  We butcher the excess, and keep breeding pairs for future use.”  Ushrir seemed to have the answer.

Lotu was nodding in consideration.  “That sounds like something we can try.  And if worse comes to worse, we can butcher some of our animals next summer.  By then they should have produced a crop of babies that we can keep around.”

One by one the other dwarves agreed.

“Now, who’s going to do what?”  Lotu consulted his list.  “We need a wood burner, a gem cutter, a leatherworker, and a fisher.  And who was assigned as a mechanic?”

“Someone was assigned as a mechanic?”  Several dwarves chorused at once.

“Yes. We needed someone to make the mechanisms for the gears and such to power Airith’s pumps, remember?”

Dr. Urist shook her head.  “You never assigned anybody to that.  But I volunteer.”

Lotu shut his eyes a moment, then shook his head.  That would explain why no one had made any mechanisms all summer.  He had just thought they were too busy.  “You have the job.  For the rest, let’s get a drink and some sleep, we can figure out who takes on what extra jobs tomorrow.”

16 Limestone 75

The traders brought a lot of things we could have used, including cages (some occupied by animals), but with our few acceptable trade goods, I had to focus only on the list we had compiled.

I was able to barter for 30 units of cloth and 12 units of various types of thread, so Sodel hopefully will be happy, and 20 units of leather.  I also bought some metal and a few cheap gems, because it’s always good to have some of that lying around in case a project requires it, and Dr. Urist now has her paper.  In return, they took all of our empty barrels and pump components, which means we have to start over from scratch.

I’ve been thinking about that, and the elves, and the cut gems we have to make, and I think we could support a dedicated glassmaker.  I used our last corkscrew to barter for five bags of sand.  That should be enough to get one started.

They didn’t have any cave thistle seeds, but maybe Mooney can find a surface plant we can make cloth from.

On a more positive note, the import restriction won’t be a problem for a while.

Before trading:                                               After trading:

20 Limestone 75

Work proceeds apace.  We now have a new pasture, almost completely enclosed by walls (only a few more need to be built), so the animals can no longer run around the whole map whenever an imagined threat startles them.

Work efficiency has risen noticeably as a result.

With that project complete, work will begin on the super-structure Airith has deemed necessary to complete the aquifer-breaching system.

Mooney has managed to find some rope reeds, so I will designate Erib Ushrir Vutok someone to thresh them and plant their seeds.  We will be able get some cloth production going despite Trader Rakust’s lack of cave thistle seeds!

13 Sandstone 75

I designated a new temple zone a few days ago, and now the gods are clearly pleased.

Thank you Thikut Luk, thank you Armok!  Some of the migrants traveling with the caravan have decided to stay!  We desperately need the extra pairs of hands if we’re to make our first quota.  Our new comrades are:

Minkot Bannerthrone, a farmer specializing in honey

Her husband Mebzuth Cudgelleaves, a glassmaker

Logem Laborgirders, a gem cutter

Her husband Olon Worshipglazed, a leatherworker (Erib will be pleased)

Their daughter Ustuth Shieldfences, a child

Uvash Toolsport, a bookbinder

His wife Mestthos Stafftown, a fishery worker

And Lorbam Clawdike, a craftsdwarf

Looking over the list, only Minkot, Uvash and Lorbam will need to be assigned new tasks.  And it just so happens that we need a wood burner, a planter, and a thresher.  Erib can focus on butchering (that’s like gelding, right?), once we actually manage to catch something in the traps we’re building.  Minkot will take over the fields, while Vutok burns wood (she likes ash glaze, so this should be right up her alley).  Uvash will take over threshing (since he’s a bookbinder), and Lorbam…I’ll assign him the managerial and bookkeeping duties.  We need someone to keep an eye on quota filling.

There are now 20 of us (of which 2 are children).

We’ll need more furniture.

3 Timber 75

“The keas are back!”

The shout came from Olin, who dropped the partially-finished corkscrew she had been working on.

This time the dwarves were ready for them.  Mooney armed himself with all of the bolts he could carry (courtesy of Ushrir) and sallied forth to do battle.  Imic and Lokum trailed behind, their axes at the ready.

The keas didn’t have their own way.  While the two axedwarves looked on helplessly, Mooney started firing at anything that moved above.

"Hyah!"  The bolt struck a wing, bringing the injured kea down to strike the earth with a sickening thud. 

Another kea, bent on avenging it's brethren's fate, swooped down on the marksdwarf.

"Hahaha!  I laugh in the face of death!"  He let loose another bolt, which the kea dodged.

"This requires an answer!"  Mooney's second bolt struck the attacking kea in the head.  "Bull's eye!"  He crowed as the corpse fell like a stone.

He continued firing a steady stream of bolts, racing from one side of the pasture to another, as the keas dodged desperately.

Inevitably, the keas realized that this was a fight they couldn't win.

With the keas scattering in disarray, Mooney bragged, "Did you see?  Did you see?  I've gotten better at shooting!"

Picking those up is going to be a pain. Lotu thought, looking around at the scattered bolts from the top of the pasture wall.  But, that's a better problem to have.

Amid all the ruckus from fighting, no one realized that Olin had announced Finderboards’ first masterpiece.

Thanks to Mooney, there were now some corpses to butcher.

Unfortunately, when Erib tried to butcher one, she realized that it was much too small to give any decent meat, calling it “guts, feathers and bone, and not much of that, either.”  She flatly refused to butcher any more.

22 Timber 75

I knew I could count on Lorbam.

28 Timber 75

Winter is just around the corner but we have already made progress toward meeting quota during the last month and a half.

The meat and fish are my biggest concern, as we have none of them, and Mestthos is having no luck with fishing.  Is she even a fisherdwarf?  Hopefully we'll be able to manage.  Please, Armok.  Please?

OOC:
...blowgun training...
Duly noted.

Also: Currently-dwarfed list:
Spoiler: Starting Seven: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Edit: Forgot the dorfed list.
-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:16:31 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36