Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60387 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2016, 10:55:12 am »

Late Winter, Theaterknowledge

The dwarf waited patiently in the ante-chamber.  It had been awhile since the last summons, and he had started to hope that his master would no longer need his services.  Clearly, that hope had been in vain.

The inner door opened abruptly.  Obeying the silent command, the dwarf rose and entered the inner sanctum, with no visible sign of whatever emotion he might be feeling.

The one he had come to see, concealed as always in an all-encompassing cloak and hood, waited next to the sole piece of furniture, an altar that took up almost a quarter of the 5x5 room.

The dwarf knew better than to speak, and waited calmly in silence.

Finally, still facing the altar, the Master spoke, using the sibilant barely-above-a-whisper that was always used.  “The king is displeased with Finderboards.  They failed the quota by 15 windows.”

The dwarf barely blinked.  The rumor mill was alive and well, and it had, of course, exaggerated the short-fall quite dramatically.

The Master continued, “King Dodok is sending a group containing his personal representative with the next caravan.  He is also sending some extra hands to ensure that the quotas will be met from here on out.”

The figure turned to face the dwarf, though the hood successfully hid the Master’s face.  In any case, the dwarf had no wish to see it, given the very quiet rumors surrounding this particular person.

“You will volunteer.”

Somehow, the dwarf wasn’t surprised.  “And my task?”

The sibilant hiss was bloodthirsty.  “You will remove obstacles, as you have in the past.”

The dwarf nodded.   “And the quota?”

“Doesn’t matter.  The obstacles are the only things that concern you.  Do so quietly, as before, through accidents.”

The dwarf nodded again.  “It will appear less suspicious if I arrive with my family.”

The Master turned back to the altar.  The dwarf was loyal, and had proven it throughout the years.  A gnarled hand snaked out from between the folds of the cloak, and waved in both approval and dismissal.

With a bow, the dwarf backed out of the room.  No sign of his turbulent inner thoughts touched his expression.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:31:40 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2016, 11:25:53 am »

:o
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2016, 01:11:02 pm »

"Remove obstacles" ... "accidents" ...

s**t's gonna happen :o
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2016, 03:24:36 pm »

Hm. I've got the feeling I'm missing something. Goblin nobles?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 19, 2016, 09:24:13 am »

Hm. I've got the feeling I'm missing something. Goblin nobles?

It is a mystery, so feel free to speculate.  It might end up giving me ideas...  :P

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:54:24 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2016, 10:56:40 am »

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

03 Granite 82

While Airith designs the new pump set up, the rest of us are building some more walls and floors.

09 Granite 82

Finally finished.  Airith stood up and stretched, then looked around.  Wow, it’s quiet.  Where is everybody?

As far as she could tell, Dr. Urist hadn’t even started installing the new gear, and Lotu had left a wall half demolished.  Frowning, she headed for Dr. Urist’s library. Why am I the only one working, that’s not fair!

But the library was empty. I bet they’re enjoying a drink, or ten.   Frowning even more fiercely, and determined to give both of the slackers a piece of her mind, sweetie or not, she stalked up the ramp to the surface.

The star-spangled sky stretched above her head as she started across the courtyard.  Coming to a sudden halt, she stared upwards.  I know where they are!

Sure enough.

I didn’t realize it was that late.

She prodded Lotu awake.  “Move over.  You should’ve told me!”

Half-asleep, Lotu rolled over as he muttered, “You’s workin’ be-eu’fully.  Din’ wanna….”

Airith looked at him, shaking her head.  “Oh, sweetie pie.”  Climbing in, she curled up against him.  Just before she dropped off, she heard a faint, “Love you.”

“I love you too, dear.”

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

11 Granite 82

With spring come the tree lovers.

Looking through Lorban’s lists, I ordered moved several cheap, useless things including worn silk clothing and several bins of random stuff.  As an after-thought, I also selected the lowest-quality glass tubes and corkscrews that Mebzuth has been making.  Who knows, those nature freaks might have war-trainable animals. 

Now, that would make NCommander happy.

14 Granite 82

While moving random stuff to the depot, Echoworked passed by. 

Good, he’s finally leaving.  Though according to his family, he’s spent the entire winter stubbornly refusing to accept our “excuses”.

I guess Dodok chose his liaison well.  They definitely have the same attitude toward anything so low-class as reason!

20 Granite 82

Well, it’s almost time to deal with those…people.  Maybe it’ll be easier if I’m drunk as a skunk?

Where does that saying come from, anyway?  Has anyone ever seen a drunk skunk?  Hey, that rhymes!

The rest of the entry consists of increasingly illegible scribbles, that the generous might have called a poem.

24 Granite 82

All right, I spent the morning over in the depot, getting those creatures off our backs.  The only remotely interesting things they had were animals, including an infernally damned kea.  I swear they’re in league with the Great Kea Pests.  However, we are now the proud owners of a giant cougar and a dingo, which NCommander has informed me, with a certain superciliousness, are definitely not war trainable.  The moose and giant coati might prove useful, even if only for meat.  I bought another giant porcupine, too.  Even if they can’t be trained, they do look cool wandering around the courtyard.  And I’ve come to appreciate variety in my eggs, so I added the hornbill to the list too.

Apparently, this group had talked to the previous group of traders, because not only had they brought the every present clay and nuts, but these pack animals were also loaded down with a whole selection of instruments.  Most of the time was spent convincing them that no, we didn’t need any more music-makers!

In return, I did manage to get rid of most of our worn undyed silk clothing (what do they have against dyes, anyway?), a few cheap glass tubes, and some instruments that had gotten buried at the bottom of the random bins.  One of those had been imported from the humans last year, and was worth quite a sum.  OOC: It had a really weird name, “ngumrash”, and as it’s impossible to search the list for “instrument”, I had to go by hand, counting as I went to make sure I had the necessary numbers.  That one somehow managed to fall through the cracks.

I think that was what finally convinced those elves that we really didn’t want the instruments they had brought.

Before Trade                                                  After Trade:

02 Slate 82

The new animals are now ensconced in the courtyard.  We need more nest boxes.  Fortunately, we have another half dozen masterpieces that I saved from Bomrek.  The woodcrafters will probably enjoy seeing their masterworks whenever they leave or go to work.

05 Slate 82

Dr. Urist finally finished hooking up the new pumps to the power train, so once the stone has been moved, I can get back to building the retaining walls.

09 Slate 82

The elven caravan departed at dawn.  Good riddance.

17 Slate 82

Lugging his third heavy boulder out of the trench, Lotu looked around at the empty room.  Why am I the only one dumping stone?

Panting, he heaved and shoved his ton of stone up the ramps to the dumping zone next to Airith’s masonry.  Massaging his sore muscles, he headed off on his new mission.

Reaching the group in the common room, he called out, “Why aren’t any of you helping me move those tons of rocks?”

“We’re on vacation!  No hauling duties!”  2nd shift chorused.

Click-clack.  Clang!  The Pale Roads were in full training mode.

Lotu groaned.  Maybe someone else…

“I’m hauling wood.”

“I’m burning wood.”

“Do you know how far behind I am with the potash quota?”

“Do you want more pumps or not?”

“I’m hungry.”

“Not drunk yet.”

“Rrroooonnn—psshhhhh….Rrrooo–“

“A child does as it pleases!”

Why am I the only one dumping stone?  Apparently I’m the only one with nothing better to do.

20 Slate 82

I’ve finally finished the north retaining wall, which means Airith has to move the pumps again.  On the plus side, we can finish the new accessway now.

21 Slate 82

Yet another useless baby has turned into a messy child. 

01 Felsite 82

Oh, so now they decide to start helping.  Now that the wet work is temporarily finished.  I see.

(Lyra is standing on the stairs next to the yellow wall, Mebzuth is the upper blue one, NCommander is the lower blue one)

02 Felsite 82

Avuz had his name day today.  He received a rather interesting gift.

He doesn’t seem to have a clue what to do with it.

11 Felsite 82

Airith hammered the last joint into place, connecting the entire pumping bank to the power train.  About to leave, she jumped at a sudden yell.  Turning, she saw Lotu struggling to keep his footing near the final pump.

“What!  Why is that pump pumping from the north!

With a mighty swing of her hammer, she knocked the joint she had just completed loose.  The pumps stopped almost immediately.

“Come back in a couple of hours, Lotu.  I need to turn that one around.”

Dripping, Lotu nodded in agreement.  “Do that, love.  Meanwhile, I’m going to find a towel.”  Shaking one hand, a waterfall of droplets splattered at his feet.

OOC: Occasionally, user error happens…

24 Felsite 82

With the retaining walls finally complete, I can focus on the corners.  Time to move the pumps around again.

28 Felsite 82

Spring is ending, which means I’ve spent the day with Lorbam, going over the quota numbers and dealing with other managerial things.

The quota is on track.  Mostly.

And while going through our stocks, Lorbam has unearthed a set of copper bars, so we’ll be able to add another mace.  But it still looks like we’ll fail this year’s too.  I hate this import cap!  Without it, we could have imported everything we’ve ever needed!

On another note, our status looks really good.  We had gotten down to less than a hundred drinks after having Ral dedicated to wood hauling for the last quota.  But now, after two full seasons of brewing, he has our drinks back to comfortable levels for 41 dwarves. 

And he’s managed some very nice variety, too.

Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Edits: Typos and picture sizes.

Edit 2: Posted wrong quota picture.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:54:59 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:25 pm »

Blue on dark red is contrasting mix, but it can deliver an impact. Perhaps could use a third neutral color in there somewhere though, maybe some dark gray.

Heh. Synchronized sleeping! Can be troublesome to manage.

That's pretty cute insult. "Would you like some more keas?"

Agreement problems? Hm. No divine metal though, I take it? Would be neat to melt one down, though I think you'd need two of same metal to get a full metal bar out, with the 90% efficiency iirc.

You are using at least wheelbarrows for the stone, I hope?

Still, stone is hopeful, even if is stone aquifer with - oooh, a bauxite cluster. That's easy to punch through.

On other hand, not sure how well you can continue the plan, since it looks like the NE corner will not accept water

But it sure looks like it can be faster now.

And, heh. Figured you had a macro for the layout. Guess not.

Well, it might be good time to get that hematite vein in bauxite, at least, for the maces.

And maybe get another wood burner and potash maker?

Meanwhile, at 16 drinks a year(8 with burrowing out of drink pile), that should last 25 dwarves over 6 years - enough to grow very rusty. And lovely variety, that's nearly third drinks covered.

PS: Oh yeah, pictures are quite large non-downscaled. Zoomed-in curses, right? Hm...No. That wouldn't affect the spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:59:21 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 19, 2016, 07:40:47 pm »

Blue on dark red is contrasting mix, but it can deliver an impact. Perhaps could use a third neutral color in there somewhere though, maybe some dark gray.

The blue is deliberate, because it reminds me that there's AQUIFER there.  As far as a neutral color, that is very low on the priority list right now.  But I'll think about it with respect to the final aesthetics.

Heh. Synchronized sleeping! Can be troublesome to manage.

It was completely accidental.  I just happened to notice and thought to take a screenshot.

That's pretty cute insult. "Would you like some more keas?"

And they always seem to bring one... ::)

You are using at least wheelbarrows for the stone, I hope?

Yes, I do have a couple of those that get moved depending on the most important stockpile.

Still, stone is hopeful, even if is stone aquifer with - oooh, a bauxite cluster. That's easy to punch through.

Except there's aquifer above, which leads to drowning fun.

On other hand, not sure how well you can continue the plan, since it looks like the NE corner will not accept water.

That doesn't actually matter, until I find the bottommost aquifer level.  For now it's going to be more of an expanded version of the double-slit method, coupled with brute-force channeling for all of the intermediate layers.  What's going to slow me down is how long it takes to build the corner walls on each level.  Once I hit my stride with getting all the pumps built (I'm still short on a few components, hence Mebzuth focusing on those since he can), I average roughly one level every two or so seasons.  Compare that to...the five? years it took me to finish the first level...  Yeah, I'm never embarking with less than two permanent and a temporary miner again.  It just takes too long.

And, heh. Figured you had a macro for the layout. Guess not.

I didn't have enough pump components to run the macro (stupid quotas).

Well, it might be good time to get that hematite vein in bauxite, at least, for the maces.

Actually...the maces don't appear to be the problem anymore.

And maybe get another wood burner and potash maker?

Already done, but neither potash maker is particularly skilled, so it's taking a while.  Surprisingly, NCommander can churn out 3 maces every 5 days.  When she gets going, she gets going!  What's slowing her down is how quickly Catten can melt down items, and the only reason Catten is barely managing to stay ahead is because I had her smelting our handful of hematite and limonite boulders first.

PS: Oh yeah, pictures are quite large non-downscaled. Zoomed-in curses, right? Hm...No. That wouldn't affect the spreadsheet.

What I do is adjust the picture widths using the following code: [I MG width=###]pic url[/IMG], where ### is in pixels (and IMG should all be one word, if you want it to do anything).  I adjust each size so that it's comfortable for me but if you (as readers) have any sizing advice/preferences (too big/too small/etc.), let me know.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 19, 2016, 08:15:52 pm »

Heh, have forgotten about aquifer myself earlier plenty of times. Good use.

The aquifer above...Right. Still, you might be able to utilize draining from below to speed it along, at least.

And ugh, thanks for reminding the time it took ^^;

How skilled is NCommander? That sounds like, I dunno, around level 9 weaponsmithing? (Taking dabbling as 5 days and legendary as 1 day.)

I meant more how are they so large XD

It's comfortable for me as well, though you might want to code your screenshot software to auto-insert width that decreases image size by same % every time.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2016, 01:19:43 pm »

Early Summer, On the Road

The dwarf looked at his fellow companions dourly.  The majority had been drafted nominated, like the administrator supposedly leading the expedition.  A minority of others had volunteered, but they had clearly done so to avoid being separated from loved ones, rather than from a burning desire to live in exile.  Those poor sods.  He thought.  Finderboards was doomed from the start.  They've just refused to stop kicking yet.

He shrugged the thought away.  It wasn't his problem.  In.  Do the job.  Out.  No one the wiser.

02 Hematite 82

Rain.  Wet.  Building walls.   Wet.  Digging.  Wet.  Building walls.  Wet.  More rain.  I’m TIRED of being wet!

08 Hematite 82

Apparently the pumps aren’t keeping Airith busy enough anymore.  She seems to be working on a new project.

I suppose she’ll tell me when she’s ready.

09 Hematite 82

Maybe they’ll have brought some metal stuff that we can turn into maces?

Just in case, I’ve sent all worn clothing, all of the bins full of random stuff, the elven cages and the wooden pump components to the dept.  Mebzuth can replace the lost screws and pipes easily enough, especially with the rest of the summer to do it, and those are among the most expensive of our non-quota goods.  We should be able to buy at least some metal stuff.

11 Hematite 82

All of the turkey eggs are hatching at once.  Poults are running around everywhere.  At least we have that cage we can put them in.  It shouldn’t take too long.
I spoke too soon.  The river of puppies is going to slow things down.

17 Hematite 82

Now, unlike elves, humans are actually useful trade partners.  Not only did they bring three maces and four weapons-grade bars (and made me pay through the nose for them), but they had almost two full wagon-loads of metal stuff.  I brought NCommander in, as our resident metalworker, and she advised me on which things can be melted down for the most reclaimable metal.  As a result, we have obtained several more picks and battle axes, an armful of trap components, and a small mountain of armor, all of which I promptly marked for melting.

It’s a good thing I remembered not to add my pick to the melting pile.  That would have been…unfortunate.

Before Trade:                                              After Trade:

And as expected, we are over the import cap, but not by as much as I had feared.  The prices for poorly-decorated items really gets inflated.  At any rate, by the time Echoworked returns in the fall, we should have melted down enough stuff to bring us back under by a comfortable margin.

Now the most important question.  Who to assign to melting?

18 Hematite 82

Catten, our bowyer, has been doing nothing but hauling for the last several years, since Bomrek hasn’t demanded any more crossbows for a while.  Remembering my own hauling days, I suggested she try her hand at smelting.  Unsurprisingly, she jumped at the chance.  Working with metal is, of course, one of the most respected fields of work.  Who in their right mind would refuse?

Meanwhile, NCommander has started turning the new bars into more maces.

26 Hematite 82

Should I be worried?  Then again, Dr. Urist has always been…different.

02 Malachite 82

It was very late, and Uvash was in the common room savoring a final mug of peach cider before seeking his bed.  Not bad, not bad at all.  It’s almost a decent substitute for raspberry wine.

A movement on the northeast ramp drew him from his musings.  Edzul shuffled in, clutching a meal of lungfish in one hand, and a cup of bayberry wine in the other.  Slumping onto the chair opposite Uvash, Edzul stared morosely into his cup, mechanically chomping bites, without seeming to notice what he ate.

“Edzul?  Edzul, are you OK?”

“Mmph?” Edzul looked up, then blinked twice.  “Ye say sumpfun’?

“I asked if you’re OK?”

“Hmm.  Tarred.”

“What?”

“Ah’m tairred.”

Tarred?  Tairred?  Tired?  Oh, that makes more sense.

“You have been running around lately.  Anything I can help with?”

Edzul shook his head.  “Jes’ th’ pot’sh.”  He went to take another bite, only to latch onto his empty fingers.  “Waaaahhhhh!”  He jerked up, and stuck the offended digits into his mouth, trying to ease the sting.

“Edzul, my friend.  You need some help.”

“They’re barely bleedin’!  See?  I don’ need Dr. Urist.”

“Not that kind of help.  I was thinking more along the lines of helping with the potash.”

“No one else knows how.”

“So?  You do, you can teach me.  And even just having an extra pair of hands around the ashery should be a big help, right?”

Edzul stared, a spark of hope kindling in his brass-colored eyes.  “You…you want to ‘elp me?  For reals?”

“Yes, I do.  Really.”

“Bu’ the carpen’ry…”

“Listen, not much is happening in the carpentry these days, and at the moment Lyra should be able to handle everything on her own.  You need help.”  Uvash reached an open hand across the table.  “Whaddaya say?  Get some sleep, and tomorrow you can start showing me the ropes.”

Edzul grabbed the offered hand, like a drowning man would a lifeline.  Sniffing, he nodded quickly several times.  “You’s a friend, ya know?  A real friend.”

“Sure.  Now, go get some sleep.”  Uvash urged gently.

05 Malachite 82

I’d been working on shoring up the corner walls for a while, and finally decided it was a good time to take a break and socialize.  Arriving at the common room, I found Dr. Urist and Airith already there.  Dr. Urist was telling a story.

The odd thing was, there were no children around.

Aren’t children supposed to love stories?  I listened for a bit.  Ah, nope, not surprised there are no kids.  I’m going back to building my walls.  I’m not interested in demons and darkness and curses from beyond the grave and murder and….

I got out of there.  Fast.

12 Malachite 82

Apparently, Airith and Dr. Urist have kindled a new friendship.  They’re really getting along.

I almost feel left out.  And Airith’s poetry sounds pretty good, though I don’t understand it.  Something about pruning back diseased trees so that the young and healthy ones can grow?  Huh?

15 Malachite 82

Watching the wagons start moving was quite a sight, and well worth the time off from work. 

17 Malachite 82

Walking through the courtyard, Lotu was struck by the sight of Spriggans playing with the resident otter.  “Uh, Spriggans?”

“What?”  She responded, chuckling at the otter’s antics.

“Shouldn’t someone be keeping an eye on your furnace?”

“Eh?  Oh, no.  Only when it’s burning.”

“Well, why isn’t it burning?  Edzul and Uvash need ash.”

“Can’t make ash without wood.”

“What do you mean we’re out of wood?!?  There are all those trees I desi—“  Lotu reached the top of the ramparts, “—gnated.”

Oh.

Grabbing the nearest axedwarf, who happened to be Udil, Lotu indicated the new trees to chop.  “And any others you see that are less than thirty bots from the walls.”

“Yessir!”  Udil saluted and trotted off to fetch his woodcutting axe.

24 Malachite 82

Spriggans jumped on the first of the new logs, and her fire is burning voraciously once again, churning out ash as quickly as the haulers can bring her fresh wood.

05 Galena 82

Now that Uvash has finished the second ashery, potash production has really started to pick up, though it’s still too soon to tell if it’ll be enough. 

Mace production continues apace, with Catten barely managing to melt the imported items quickly enough to stay ahead of NCommander.  The latter is averaging two or three maces every five days, and is certainly making up for the time lost earlier.

Can I afford to assign a dwarf permanently to the smelter?  It would certainly end up making Imic, not to mention the rest of the militia, happy.  I suppose it’ll depend on the next quota.

We need more dwarves.  But according to the yearly caravan, word has spread wide, and no one wants to come live in a hole in the ground in the middle of the jungle, with not even a molehill in sight.  Not to mention the whole “King Dodok’s Personal Slaves” thing.

I can’t say I blame them.

18 Galena 82

Dr. Urist was pacing down the hallway when a sharp cry broke into her throughs.  She looked up in time to see a child slide to its, no her, knees.

“Oh, you poor thing!  Come here, I’ll make it all better.”  Gathering the child into her arms, she started toward the hospital bed.

“Put down, put down!  Me not hurt!  Put me down”  Lokum Tangledattics squirmed and wriggled frantically.

Reaching the bed, Dr. Urist lowered the child, who promptly shot off the other side.  “See?  Me fine!  Me play now!”

Without waiting for a response, she took to her heels, only wanting to get far away from the odd not-doctor-but-Wannabe-Engineer.

Dr. Urist looked after her, frowning.  But I need a speci patient.

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

28 Galena 82

Fall approaches, and with it the yearly threat.  But this year we’re in pretty good shape.

We’re definitely going to be able to manage the maces, so only potash is still questionable.  I think we can count on at least eleven more bars by the end of limestone, which leaves a possible shortfall of nine.  Well, we’ll have to see.

Current character list:
Spoiler: On 1st month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 2nd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On 3rd month break: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scholars (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Children: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:25:29 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2016, 03:51:14 pm »

Inspiration as mediation value? Hm...I suppose it is important, but. Eh.

On that note, I've recently double-checked two things:
1) Dwarves that are in tavern zone will likely stay on tavern, despite their mediative needs being in red and empty temple being available - even as they pause Socializing sleep, eat and drink in it. Waited two seasons once and only dogs tried to pray. Another time, with an area outside tavern to go sometimes in, took a month for two yellow needs to wander in.
2) Casual and dubious worshippers don't have praying needs. Ardent (and maybe faithful) level of worship is required to make it possible for prayer need to go into red in years.

Based on Moonhome, I'm also willing to claim that those with high need for abstract thinking make for good scholars. Don't know a way to figure this one out before it is in the red or yellow, though.

That you only need to do suitable job once to bring the need from red to light green further supports brief zones - no need to pray for a season, when praying for a week will do. Though with tavern, there is more than 1 need to satisfy, and not every activity satisfied all of them.

Yay puppies :P

Yeah, not sure why some children keep playing, while others tell stories and dance.

I'm not sure you can even melt the picks of miners, tbh.

What are the red As leading human wagons, btw?

Ouch on wood. That's going to cut into quota. And really, with potash it's hard to use being on aquifer as a defence - aquifer doesn't prevent tree cutting, now does it?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2016, 03:56:56 pm »

In A Secluded Section of the Forest

Airith was busy writing on a sheet of parchment (admittedly she had to 'persuade' the human merchants to let her have a sheet off record) with a fervor. Once she was satisfied with the contents of the paper, she placed it in an "envelope" and sent it with a messenger falcon.

She waited by that spot for about an hour (she hoped no one would notice she was gone for this long).

As she started to get fidgety with the time, a falcon appeared and dropped a letter and it landed on the ground. She picked it up and ran to her room and hid it under her mattress (hopefully Lotu didn't get any thoughts of spring cleaning) and went to exchange "poetry" with her friend Dr. Urist (in reality just a clever way to pass information in a manner that didn't raw attention to themselves).

Under her mattress, the envelope she hid, and was gonna read later, was sitting there. Upon the front was a symbol.

A Winged Arrow
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:34:42 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2016, 04:00:23 pm »

This post is no longer relevant....

soooo

!NARWHALS!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:36:18 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2016, 04:13:12 pm »

What role did they play?

All I know is that they're the names of some enemies in lolmod, having a story of rivalry and eye for an eye with some office supplies in lolmod/Necrothreat. Never heard them mentioned outside of that context.

And in that context, there is the issue of why they don't have any sites and haven't been doing anything in current century. One things that springs to mind is fashioning an elephant man visitor to be lost member of elephantmen civ from MWDF in vanilla play, but I'm thinking you want some assassinations from hostile civilization, not lost refuge telling unbelievable tales of things that never existed to people who are older than the universe.

On that note, do you know how to mod in new hostile civilizations in an existing world? I haven't heard of anyone managing it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:19:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2016, 04:59:53 pm »

What are the red As leading human wagons, btw?

Aurochs (plural, aurochsen).  I always thought they sounded cool, so I modded them into my game (among a few other things).  I mean, draft horse-size cattle (I'm talking BIG: with horns stretching almost six feet across?  DF needs that!

Ouch on wood. That's going to cut into quota. And really, with potash it's hard to use being on aquifer as a defence - aquifer doesn't prevent tree cutting, now does it?

Actually...doesn't look like it will affect quota.  Halfway through the Limestone play-through, I've produced half of the remaining bars of the stuff.  It looks like we will make this year's quota. *knocks on wood*  Barring any unforeseen unfortunate events.

Can I bring in Parasol? They played such a pivotal role in the early years of Bay12 Roleplaying, but they suddenly dropped off the face of the earth.

Is there a Taboo I should know about?

I don't have a problem with you introducing a hidden group (cult?) with similar values, but I don't think Parasol itself has a place here.  In addition, using magical (e.g. demonic?) portals to communicate to far-distant existing sites is problematic, given the significant advantage those groups would have over everyone else.  Something sufficiently powerful (like a god or powerful demon, or 1,000 year-old dragon, etc.), could have it, but most entities won't even know that kind of power exists.

So everything in your post is workable, if you assume that Airith is communicating with someone hanging out closely enough to send mail through an underground system (e.g. using a greatly shrunk railway system for letters, or a specially trained animal, or air currents, or something).  And there are also such things as messenger creatures for longer distances, if you don't want your letters waiting for the regular mail.

Just no multi-universe conglomerations, please.  :)

- Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:02:21 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36