Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improvable Blocks/Bricks  (Read 547 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Improvable Blocks/Bricks
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:58:45 am »

It seems to me that if you can glaze a pot or a figurine or whatever, you should be able to glaze a brick.  You can add the reactions to the game pretty easily, but right now blocks won't hold any kind of improvement, so you just waste glaze.  Being able to ash-glaze ceramic and stone blocks would provide a source of extra value for above ground constructions or floors for nobles, plus it would allow for coloring of constructions through different colors of glazes (glazes could use some expansion, as well - I know there's a mod that adds several historic glazes with extra colors).  This seems like an easy enough solution to implement - just make blocks improvable and a 'glaze a brick with ash/tin' reaction.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improvable Blocks/Bricks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:08:29 am »

I agree with you.

But initially due to the attached cost it'd need to require a bunch of bricks (which without lava are expensive in themselves fuel wise & clay properties into account) and consistent use of ash to glaize each laboriously. However modifying the reaction to account for more, as to do it by large job-lots of bricks is extremely easy anyway.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: Improvable Blocks/Bricks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 08:55:12 am »

Well, keep in mind you can also glaze stone.  Being able to glaze the plentiful stone blocks your masons are making for training gives your glazers a chance to practice (now that glazing finally advances!) and ensures your constructions can be finely colored and valuable.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL