Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Goblins - Suggestions  (Read 46280 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins - Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

Frankly, I think it might be interesting to have a race that doesn't need food or drink. I have an idea for when I finally get the time to learn lua properly and do dfhack scripts of my own, but I don't mind sharing it: make it instead that they need to sacrifice one of their own number, and it must be one of their own, to (in the goblin context) appease their masters.

The fact that they'll only be drinking alcohol rarely means that, unlike what we have right now where a dwarf fortress is a collective of happy drunks rather than the tantrums of old, goblins will lash out easily. Make it so that they are far more prone to snapping and going on murder-sprees. Their vanilla ethics even have no problem with that!

The thing about enabling food production and consumption for goblins is that they'll then be more or less like everybody else. If the player wants to farm, they have dwarfs and humans and more. Masterwork is a mod that focus far more on the mechanical than the roleplaying side of things. Make use of that. Make something fundamentally different.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2016, 01:00:41 pm »

prince of the land of stench, anyone?  :P

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 01:05:36 pm »

How about have the no-eat/no-drink tags wear off after a while from some timer, and renew the timer for any goblin that makes a kill? That way world-gen goblins stay numerous, a player can't just seal off some unlucky soul in a vault, and murder is thematically encouraged.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

How about have the no-eat/no-drink tags wear off after a while from some timer, and renew the timer for any goblin that makes a kill? That way world-gen goblins stay numerous, a player can't just seal off some unlucky soul in a vault, and murder is thematically encouraged.
I like this. Together with restricting farming and making sure trolls do need to eat, it would make for an interesting experience. Although it may be advised to allow shearing so they can use troll fur to make clothes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 01:27:52 pm »

I like this. Together with restricting farming and making sure trolls do need to eat, it would make for an interesting experience. Although it may be advised to allow shearing so they can use troll fur to make clothes.
This I can do.

The infighting I cant, because there is no fair way to control it, especially considering loyality cascades.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 01:57:50 pm »

The infighting I cant, because there is no fair way to control it, especially considering loyality cascades.

Nah, doesn't need altercation, and to be honest despite giving positive thoughts, the quick temperament of goblins and propensity to start fights is more positively affected by confidence boosting alcohol than anything. Those needs just build up and the goblins act on them themselves to let off some steam if you don't allocate a job for them to do when they go to talk to one another.

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 02:00:30 pm »

This I can do.

If you couple a need to kill with workshops that summon enemies, you have a new and interesting system. The only problem is that might end up involving a lot of micromanaging in order to make sure your citizens all get kills.

Dwarf-Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »

Or goblins cannot farm but need to get food somehow from invasions and sieges. This fits to the theme as Goblins are the only vanila siegers.
The offensive invasions can be  simlated by a Workshop/portal i hope. Like some goblins are send to a mission and return injured with Food and other captured things..
And another  workshop to butcher or find a lot of food from invader corpses.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 04:19:47 pm »

Nah, doesn't need altercation, and to be honest despite giving positive thoughts, the quick temperament of goblins and propensity to start fights is more positively affected by confidence boosting alcohol than anything. Those needs just build up and the goblins act on them themselves to let off some steam if you don't allocate a job for them to do when they go to talk to one another.
I've yet to see actual fighting in fortress mode for goblins. I hadnt had a tantrum spiral in years.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »

If they do not please their master demon, they will incur its wrath. Pleasing implies having death on the map, even if you have to stage your own people death. You'll be hard pressed to open the caverns and kill anything that approaches or setting a temple and sacrifice the visitors. Otherwise you get a bunch of pretas or some terrible stuff like that.

I'm not too familiar with what is or isn't moddable but I like this idea. I was thinking making that demon uncontrollable (similar to the succubi demons or tavern recruits) and default to a hammerer-like position. If the conditions for what a crime is could be added, this seems like it could add something neat.

(Granted, I guess walling off the demon then would then prevent any challenge intended.)

chilller6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »

when i think of goblins, i think of lots of shamans, cheap equipment, thieving, and trolls. im basing my goblins on the classics of course but theres also the tech-savvy goblins from World of warcraft for example and theres also the goblins that are basically slaves to the orcs. ive never seen any goblins that summon demons or anything tho

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2016, 02:16:10 am »

I've yet to see actual fighting in fortress mode for goblins. I hadnt had a tantrum spiral in years.

In past 'docility' (as to say cushiony very relaxed barely any stress) versions of the game i've had goblins explicitly murder each other from arguements and pub fights (trolls and ogres are often quick to punch the head off/in of disobedient goblins also leading to deaths, which is why i hire them as bar staff and live in patrons, i sing the praises of ogres particularly for serving slow enough to not kill anyone and be ready to kill anyone when patrons get rowdy) escalating in a mandatory fashion.

They argue = typically someone dies or is grievously injured nearly every single time even with quite a nice fortress dug out and decorated for them (which even despite my efforts they STILL manage to hurt one another, though less frequently, its just a need thing built into their nature)

This only gets worse the better equipped & trained goblins are unfortunately. I haven't really gotten end-game with goblins for one reason or another because iron is pretty restrictive when its top tier to kill a lot of creatures (goblins also arent very high on the physicality of things quite usually), so raiding/forging some custom or Masterwork metal might be the best thing on the cards depending on how it's balanced/obtained.

Arena hybrid to incur enemies that drop equipment kits as on-death items? (grind grind grind grind)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2016, 03:25:12 pm »

In case something ever happens with goblins in fort mode...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2016, 01:14:03 pm »

Bumping this in relevance to the new masterwork race poll, also it a pretty pivotal thread to not be forgotten about with some cherry pickable ideas to be added to the 'future of the mod' suggestions thread.

One other thing meph, do you have any sprites for equipped up trolls? Given that trolls can be manually geared up once enrolled into your civ for their own little platoons. Especially starting out, trolls are pretty integral to militia especially against strong foes in [EVIL] areas, to pulverize zombies into goopy mash, knowing what tools a troll has is pretty vital fighting against them too if they get more coverage in masterwork.

Same goes to any other races that goblins have under the thumb. (Ogres, blizzard people etc.)

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2016, 02:32:32 pm »

What will the goblin's technology style be?
How advanced are they
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5