Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913  (Read 13386 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Arms Race - Manonera republic thread - 1913
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2016, 12:28:13 am »

I think our modified Patriot Rifles will still be complex, from the metal sights.

Fix the fuse problems for our the "Breech" cannons.
Revise the armed sloops to use "Breech" cannons.

GM Question: Will we need an action to switch the basic Patriot Rifles from black powder ammo to the smokeless powder ammo the modified version uses?

+1 to this.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2016, 12:30:38 am »

GM Question: Will we need an action to switch the basic Patriot Rifles from black powder ammo to the smokeless powder ammo the modified version uses?
I'm not the GM, but please take a look at this:
Players - don't expect to get an advantage, or to railroad me into some outcome by asking questions on definitions, and whether such design is permissible by rules or not.

To reiterate, a design action means you can get something new from it; a revise action merely fixes problems or to adapt something you have invented in another situation. I expect some leeway, but there is some leeway in how wide the leeway is, and I hope I don't have to narrow it for you.

To do list:
Artillery:
 Revise to fix the artillery shell fuse.
Rifles:
 Design metal rifle bullets and a (possibly revised) magazine-fed rifle.
 OR
 Revise to fix the rifle sights so they'll be simple next turn.
Doctrines:
 Design Skirmishers and camo.
 (?)Design trench warfare.
Navy:
 Design a bigger ship, with lots of cannons.
 OR
 Revise the armed sloops to use a rifled cannon.
 AND
 (2-3 design actions)Design an ironclad.
Other:
 Design steam engines, hopefully including trains.

What are we designing next turn? I'd like to go for the semi-automatic rifle, but we're technologically alright on the land front. If we revise our rifles and the artillery fuse now, I could be convinced to vote for 2-3 turns spent getting ironclad ships.
I'd prefer to revise the armed sloops to use rifled cannons and fix the artillery shells, then design rifle ammo + revise to semi-auto rifles next turn.
Rifles + sloop revision this turn with skirmishers next turn would also be pretty nice. I do want skirmishers, now that our cannons are more than just giant, slow reloading rifles.

I'd also go for naval skirmishers; Ironclads seems a good idea, but as long as something is there to 'protect' the arty-armed sloop kiters, that's alright.
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2016, 12:40:16 am »

I would prefer to upgrade the size, add several Gatling guns and artillery and try for some kind of fire proofing, metal for critical areas and a fire resistant coating or new fire response drills.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2016, 07:20:54 am »

l let you have smokeless powder for Patriots when they become cheap, as they are already used in the modified Patriots, and there is no reason why they can't be extended to mass produced rifles. But they will use oil from then on.

For the same reasons, the AP shells now also uses local smokeless gunpowder (which won't make them more or less common anyway)

This is not lawyering, as it is a really legitimate question on whether some upgrade can be retrospectively applied if they uses the same material, only different in origin. Any amendments to the orders?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2016, 03:06:54 pm »

I'd also go for naval skirmishers; Ironclads seems a good idea, but as long as something is there to 'protect' the arty-armed sloop kiters, that's alright.
I would prefer to upgrade the size, add several Gatling guns and artillery and try for some kind of fire proofing, metal for critical areas and a fire resistant coating or new fire response drills.
Meanwhile, I'd like to start with replacing the armed sloops with small steam powered single-gun ironclads.
I feel like trying to use a single turn to redesign for different materials, different propulsion, and a size increase wouldn't work as well, and it would be nice to have bigger cannons before making bigger ships.

Any amendments to the orders?
Nothing I can think of.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2016, 06:15:36 am »

I think our modified Patriot Rifles will still be complex, from the metal sights.

Fix the fuse problems for our the "Breech" cannons.
Revise the armed sloops to use "Breech" cannons.

A more hardy plate between the propellant and the payload seems to be adequate in preventing premature explosions.

The breech sloops runs into a big problem. The larger breech cannon proved impossible for the sloops to fire properly under full sail - the stresses involved is just too much, and a sloops actually broke into halves under stress when testing. Your navy chief say that the guns can still be of use as floating batteries, but you immediately question how long your ships will last under enemy rocket fire if they are heaving to...

Spy time.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2016, 02:26:57 pm »

Well should we check to see if they got a new rifle or rocket, since I believe they're still using matchlocks and we need to definitively know if there's more rockets out there.
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2016, 02:30:31 pm »

I suspect that their rockets use 2 oil. Our most talented spy should be able to tell whether or not this is true. If it is, getting a bigger ship next turn might be worth more than rifle magazines.

Spy: Verify suspicions that the rocket factories require a large supply of oil, and, if possible, find hints of anything else using their full oil supply.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2016, 10:31:47 pm »

I suspect that their rockets use 2 oil. Our most talented spy should be able to tell whether or not this is true. If it is, getting a bigger ship next turn might be worth more than rifle magazines.

Spy: Verify suspicions that the rocket factories require a large supply of oil, and, if possible, find hints of anything else using their full oil supply.

+1 to detailed plans.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2016, 06:00:07 am »

Why evilcherry is out?
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2016, 12:00:42 pm »

No clue.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 05, 2016, 06:13:56 am »

Bump.

I guess Evilcherry had problems.
Stop bullying children
I can't