Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal companions in Adventure mode  (Read 3481 times)

BadLeo

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't mess with me. I'm a legendary +5 curser.
    • View Profile
Animal companions in Adventure mode
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:44:37 pm »

I did a quick search and found nothing related, so here comes my suggestion: adventurer should be able to buy or steal animals and use them as companions (and, in the fancy DF of the future, even tame them by himself).

I'm thinking on this for transportation/cargo animals, not for fighting pets, but that could also be cool. The idea came after I raided a bandit encampment all by myself and couldn't carry all the items I wanted. So I started daydreaming about having an ox to which I would attach a wagon that I could fill with the crap I find on this camps, then hop on it myself and drive it around, thus minimizing the amount of travels I have to make to villages to unload stuff. What do you folks think of it?
If you think dogs like socks, that's because you never met a dwarf.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Animal companions in Adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:32:03 am »

Taming wild animals would be cool, but we probably need to wait until the animal taming system is more fleshed out.  Once fort mode tamers can tame animals without the use of a cage trap, perhaps by leaving out food for them, adventure mode taming will make more sense.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal companions in Adventure mode
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:16:54 am »

Elves are mentioned by threetoe's stories to have telepathic powers with animals to compliment their 'at peace with nature', wherever this may end up leading to (such as a secret waiting to be learnt from a druids note-book or tutorship) its probably the most effective way of getting this done.

'Acquired ability - Communicate with animals > Select animal you want to speak to and engage the conversation'

Then its a case of enlisting them to your adventure or asking them nicely to do a task. Using a elven animal interpreter would additionally be useful to keeping at-least 1 elf in any party for diffusing wild animal attacks if you can't do it yourself and importantly talking to dragons and other intelligent mega-beasts/creatures.