Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For the love of Armok, restore giant desert scorpions  (Read 3299 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
For the love of Armok, restore giant desert scorpions
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:56:33 pm »

Toady said, ages ago, that he'll re-implement giant desert scorpions. Now I get that he might intend to make giant desert scorpions a giant variant of currently-nonexistent regular desert scorpions, but in the meantime it makes no sense to remove the old version.

Re-add giant desert scorpions as they originally existed, and just rework them LATER. It's literally copy, paste, boom.

Seriously. Sure it takes me five seconds per new version to re-add the old raw. But that likewise means it would take Toady the same five seconds to permanently solve this issue. At least, until Toady implements regular desert scorpions and desert scorpion men.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: For the love of Armok, restore giant desert scorpions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:40 am »

Absolutely. Giant Desert Scorpions were a huge source of !!FUN!! and a major contributing factor to settling in savage deserts.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:27:39 am »

Yesss. It just saddens me to see them go. It's right up there with fixing cannibalism on my wishlist, but unlike THAT issue this one is trivial to fix.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 01:45:04 pm »

Best desert critter ever.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 08:46:30 pm »

+1

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 08:47:58 pm »

Desert embarks are much too easy without them

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:05:32 pm »

It's, again, as annoying as the cannibalism bug. Because again, Toady has held off on making a fix even I couldn't fuck up. -_-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:06:59 am »

Desert scorpions can be fixed in, as you say, 5 seconds. Cannibalism can't (at least, not easily) so I'd say that's much more annoying (if you feel cannibalism is essential to your DF expereince).

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 12:33:14 am »

I mean that the lack of giant desert scorpions is more annoying, specifically BECAUSE it would take so little time to fix this for good. Whereas the cannibalism bug is a deeper issue, and Toady himself has admitted he doesn't KNOW what he did to cause it. Which makes his not fixing the cannibalism bug understandable.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:54:55 am »

Annoying for you. Adding [canopendoors] to Gorlaks would also take 5 seconds and was also mentioned by Toady as being a mistake. Annoying for me, so I fixed it (in 3 seconds).

There are probably hundreds of bugs and fixes and other coding issues which haven't been noticed yet which would also take 5 seconds to fix. That's why the game is customisable, customize it! Some of us don't give a damn about desert scorpions.

And don't post a duplicate on the goddam bug tracker that's just childish.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 01:14:27 am »

Sorry about that. It was a bit stupid of me.

Though yes, that's one of countless things that's more frustrating BECAUSE of how simple fixing it is. -_-
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 01:09:18 am »

They has gone? Nooooo...
They was able to have weapons cause of CAN_GASP.... I have some of them in sieges rarely...
+1! to reimplementing them
Probadly in magic realise? Such as slaves of dark gods?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 12:46:35 pm »

Huehuehue. One more reason to shamelessly plug my mod about at least. Also, Shonai_Dweller brought up an interesting point: Toady has ALSO been neglecting to give gorlaks the ability to open doors, which cripples gorlak adventurers and is even more trivial to fix than what I've been bitching about.

Which was swiftly added to Adventurecraft, because why the fuck not.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 03:51:16 pm »

Anyone know why Toady took them out in the first place?  He had to actually delete them from the raw files, so he must have had some reason for doing so.

It looks like they are the only giant creature (not counting giant cave spiders, which are underground) that has its own unique behaviors and qualities, instead of being just an enlarged version of a smaller creature.  Maybe Toady wanted to be consistent, and wanted all giant variations of mundane creatures to use the variation template, but didn't want to reduce the effect of the giant desert scorpion's sting, so he just...removed them both.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 03:56:25 pm »

I assumed it was because he planned to rework them to work with, then had a brain fart and decided to remove them until they're re-implemented, and this forgot to do that entirely. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD