Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Update 1.08 - HUMANS! 6th playable race, with largest tech-tree by far.  (Read 24803 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile

For some reason I can'tmake coke out of bituminous coal and lignite. There's no option for this in the smelter or manager screen. Anthracite and peat work fine though. Anyone else have that problem?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hello, really enjoying the mod so far but ran into some problems trying to make steel while running a human fort. I have the smiths' guild and the crucible set up, which allows me to make steel bars efficiently, but no option anywhere I can see to make one of the required reagents, pig iron bars.

I have checked my smelter and there is no option there to make pig iron, and trying to pull it up in the job manager screen just comes up with one job, stud an item with pig iron. Thanks in advance.
I noticed that in my test-fort too. I added steel, but no other alloys, I'm feel a bit silly. Its in my bug tracker.

Out of curiosity, did you make humans the 6th race on purpose? A nod to a certain TV show? Or just coincidence?
nope

For some reason I can'tmake coke out of bituminous coal and lignite. There's no option for this in the smelter or manager screen. Anthracite and peat work fine though. Anyone else have that problem?
Same thing as above, I forgot some basic smelter reactions, no idea how that happened. was so focused on the custom workshops, I forgot the test the vanilla workshops. :/
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I should wait for a small bugfix or two before setting the fort up I take it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I should wait for a small bugfix or two before setting the fort up I take it?
Well, I looked it up and the reason why the humans did not have the pig iron and steel reactions in the smelter is simple: Vanilla DF humans do not have access to steel.

I might keep it like this. Not sure yet.

If you want to play with steel, just add PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING and PERMITTED_BUILDING:METALLURGIST to the human entity. Thats it. I wont make a bugfix release until friday.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm kind of okay with buying steel from the dwarves tbh

Silverybearded

• Bay Watcher
  • Midor Belnekol!
    • View Profile

Any reason why the picture of the human looks like Charles Xavier?
Engraved is a superior rendition of an image of Arkoth, the local deity of balance and speech, and two elves. Arkoth is burning the two elves. Arkoth is laughing. The two elves are suffering. The image was commissioned by the Round Guild, a local dwarven government.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

OK. I'm finally starting to get a handle on humans. Have a nice fort I've gotten to year two. Fairly profitable.

Out of curiosity, did you make humans the 6th race on purpose? A nod to a certain TV show? Or just coincidence?
Be sure to build a big gate to greet your interstellar masters.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The sawmill extension to the Carpenter's Guild doesn't consume the serrated disk, or mechanisms.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The sawmill extension to the Carpenter's Guild doesn't consume the serrated disk, or mechanisms.
they should be build-mats

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how the heck to get started with these guys (especially if I want to keep things looking good), but I love the premise behind them! Lost two forts pretty quickly so far, hopefully I'll pick up on it before long. I think I'm just not used to an industry-focused mindset. Absolutely great work on this though!  :D

daisha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how the heck to get started with these guys (especially if I want to keep things looking good), but I love the premise behind them! Lost two forts pretty quickly so far, hopefully I'll pick up on it before long. I think I'm just not used to an industry-focused mindset. Absolutely great work on this though!  :D

The interface gets a bad rap, but it helps you out as much as you can.  As you start producing new things, new reactions in shops will be colored to indicate that they are available (but not super-reliably, just sometimes.  okay the interface is a little bad.)  To some extent you can just work on making stuff out of whatever you find and see what it allows you to do, within a couple games you'll know what you're doing well enough to do it and become intensely self-conscious if anyone suggests you teach them how to play.

The vanilla quickstart guide ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide ) remains extremely relevant to masterwork, masterwork mostly adds extra stuff, it removes very little, particularly if you stick to playing dwarves.  Humans can do most of the dwarfy stuff too through their diplomatic workshops.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:19:20 pm by daisha »

Topodic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The interface gets a bad rap, but it helps you out as much as you can.  As you start producing new things, new reactions in shops will be colored to indicate that they are available (but not super-reliably, just sometimes.  okay the interface is a little bad.)  To some extent you can just work on making stuff out of whatever you find and see what it allows you to do, within a couple games you'll know what you're doing well enough to do it and become intensely self-conscious if anyone suggests you teach them how to play.

The vanilla quickstart guide ( http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide ) remains extremely relevant to masterwork, masterwork mostly adds extra stuff, it removes very little, particularly if you stick to playing dwarves.  Humans can do most of the dwarfy stuff too through their diplomatic workshops.

Oh, I appreciate the suggestion but I have a fair grasp on the game itself, I'm referring more specifically to the changes that playing as humans bring. I'm sorta starting to get it, but there's just so darn much it adds that it's easy to lose my fort (I suppose village is more apt) to simply getting (mentally) overwhelmed. :P

Especially since I'm very picky about how things look, so the desire to construct buildings to house various (mostly temporary) workshops adds a but of unnecessary pressure when trying this out. lol Still, thanks for the suggestions!  :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you want as easier start, channel down a couple of large patches, then build floors for each. Kinda like a underground parking garage. It still counts as light, because it was exposed to light once, but its much easier to build quickly than houses for each unit.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a suggestion - because I like to do as much as I can without using vanilla buildings - can you add thrones/chairs to the embark choices?  Or add some other way to get them?  From a merchant perhaps.

I just started up another fort to see how far I can get only building a masons workshop to spit out 4 thrones at the beginning.  But I am also getting hit by a few crashes, unfortunately there isn't anything interesting in the logs.

RedKef

• Escaped Lunatic
  • It has exterior ribs and undulates rhythmically.
    • View Profile

I just wanted to report that whenever I make a tavern, Werebeast and night creature performers start showing up and destroying all my buildings despite being non-hostile. They fight with any traders and war animals as well, but citizens ignore them. They walk right through traps, etc. Happens across worlds, so i assume it's some setting I changed and don't remember.

I apologize if this has already been addressed, or if there's a thread for bug reporting. I looked but did not find.

Also, if you're still doing this in august, I'm giving you a hundred bucks. Wonderful work, but I get paid on a contractual basis and I'm poor 'til then.
Ex Vestigus
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8