Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How did YOUR last adventurer just die?  (Read 5244 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOUR last adventurer just die?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:03 pm »

Not my most recent death, but my favorite was definitely an adventurer who raided a bandit camp.  Snuck my way into the camp, decapitated several bandits with my short sword before one spotted me.  Get rushed, manage to kill several, see a crossbowman coming at me.  Know I won't be able to get to him in time, so I chuck my sword at him, it hits him in the hand and severs it, making him drop his crossbow.  He passes out from the pain, starts to bleed out.  Unfortunately, the bandit leader is also a crossbowman, comes down the cliff, and shoots me, hitting me in the neck and severing a major artery.

Lacking other appropriate weapons and bleeding out, I rip the bolt from my neck and throw it back at him...  it strikes him in the eye, pierces through to the brain, and kills him instantly.  I wander over to his corpse and collect my loot before bleeding out on top of him.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 01:01:10 am »

Tried to free a human town that had been captured by elves a few years ago. There were basically rivers of elven soldiers walking down the streets. I had an elephant man, and all they had were wooden spears, but I wasn't very skilled and they just kept hitting me. After being knocked out there was probably a whole day of them slowly scratching my head causing tiny bits of blood loss before I died.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 06:42:39 am »

Bogeymen !
Always these **** bogeymen...

I raided a tomb with my faithful companion. He got randomly killed by a trap.
I was all alone in the wilderness, but I though I was so badass bogeymen couldn't get me, since the tomb undeads were so easy anyway...
Turned out I was wrong, bogeymen always get you !
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:44:29 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:26:38 am »

Bogeymen !
Always these **** bogeymen...

I raided a tomb with my faithful companion. He got randomly killed by a trap.
I was all alone in the wilderness, but I though I was so badass bogeymen couldn't get me, since the tomb undeads were so easy anyway...
Turned out I was wrong, bogeymen always get you !

I feel for you. I recently just had something like five bogyemen curbstomp me with kicks all at once, making me die within a single combat move once they had surrounded me.

Im a noob and not nearly very much badass. Thought i could use the darkness to my advantage to snipe one of them with a rock, i was wrong.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:12:32 am »

Crap. Just started an adventure, didn't even need to leave the room where I spawned and I already has leads on some beasts and bandits, and an abduction. I collected two followers (Without leaving said room or collecting any gear), and then walked through a short hallway to the next room.

There was a kobold archer there.

The first shot took me down as my superior willpower, high toughness, and superior endurance character passed out from pain, then I proceeded to watch the sounds as my companions chased the kobold around the building....and never checked their wounded leader.

I bled to death less than 2 minutes after starting the adventure.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »

My last adventurer, Torvald Spearbreaker, was a magnataur spearman who tried to fight some vrykul criminals in the town's dungeon. Didn't end up well - a swordsman managed to simply stab him repeatedly into unconsciousness while I fumbled around, unable to even hit him, before a slash at Torvald's head clove it asunder.

This was maybe 10 minutes after starting my adventure? So yeah, cut down before he could even blossom. RIP.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:27:01 pm by ZM5 »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 03:05:56 pm »

Crap. Just started an adventure, didn't even need to leave the room where I spawned and I already has leads on some beasts and bandits, and an abduction. I collected two followers (Without leaving said room or collecting any gear), and then walked through a short hallway to the next room.

The first shot took me down as my superior willpower, high toughness, and superior endurance character passed out from pain, then I proceeded to watch the sounds as my companions chased the kobold around the building....and never checked their wounded leader.

Are you playing the most recent version? Singular bones breaking knockning you unconscious got fixed two versions ago I think? From what I've seen it might even have been fixed too much. I've been pretty much completely unable to cause passing out from pain.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:10 pm »

Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 06:40:44 am »

Not my most recent adventurer. I don't like exploity power leveling so I decided to train punching and dodging by starting a barfight with a dwarf (an untrained drunk). He bit in the throat and I quickly bled out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 06:48:55 am »

I'm no Footkerchief, but there was already a thread with this premise already. It died last year, but you should necro it.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:05 am »

I'm no Footkerchief, but there was already a thread with this premise already. It died last year, but you should necro it.
Well, this one is already here and alive...so why bother necroing the previous one?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:20 am »

Well, this one is already here and alive...so why bother necroing the previous one?
Because... OH LOOK I JUST NECRO'D IT.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 08:24:05 am »

Are you playing the most recent version? Singular bones breaking knockning you unconscious got fixed two versions ago I think? From what I've seen it might even have been fixed too much. I've been pretty much completely unable to cause passing out from pain.
Yeah, I'm on the most recent version (Or at least .43 something). I didn't see where I was hit---I never got to see the logs, I just ended up at the screen that says "You are dead, have a nice day". Completely vanilla DF. That said, shortest non-quit adventure in history, I'm pretty sure.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 08:27:51 am »

@Madman198237
Look for gamelog.txt if you want to know what happened.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 01:25:42 pm »

I came up to a hydra's lair late at night. It was either the hydra or the bogeymen, so I chose the hydra. I got a few good licks in, but I didn't do any permanent damage to it, sadly.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3