Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Superhero Mafia: Game Over; Town, Survivors and Lovers Win.  (Read 56211 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile

Day 1
Night 1

Five years ago, the Guardians of Earth were effectively destroyed when the Clone Lord infiltrated their orbiting base and sent it crashing into New York. Though he died in the attempt and his true motives may never be known, he did succeed in sending the entire world into chaos as villains across the world took advantage of their adversaries' confusion to press their advantage, forcing the heroes further onto the defensive. Eventually, the Guardians all but disbanded as many decided to settle in one area to protect it from coming under the control of power hungry superhumans, some becoming worse than those they once battled against. In America, the government struggles to maintain control over twenty-two states on the east of the continent, with the rest of the country in various states of lawlessness.

No one is entirely sure how things fell apart so quickly. Some say that the Guardians were only held together by the power their founders had accumulated and most were itching to get at each others' throats. Others think that someone still lurks in the shadows, manipulating everything for some unknown goal. A few say that this world is simply an alternate dimension created to cash in on the popularity of grimdark storylines without having to deal with killing off popular characters in the primary reality. It matters little to the people who have to live in this world. For most of the population they simply have to hope that whatever superhuman rules over their home is benevolent, or simply not insane enough to kill them for sport.

For now, we go to a place called Chicago, ruled by a council of eleven. Though on the edge of the government's territory the two sides have settled into an uneasy truce for now, as the Eleven treat their citizens well enough and a head on assault would cost the already-weakened army too many men to be worth the trouble of retaking the city. Each is well aware that the fragile peace can be shattered by the slightest change in circumstance, but until one side makes a move, it will hold.

This is a bastard game. Every player in the game will have a passive ability that, once triggered, will change some aspect of their role. This includes, but is not limited to, their role name, abilities, win condition, alignment and flavour text. Players will not be told what these passives are or their trigger conditions, but there will be some hints.

Rules:
- Days are 72 hours, not including weekends. Nights are 48 hours, or 24 is all actions are received within that time.

- The day can be extended up to twice if at least 50% of players vote to extend it.

- The day can be shortened if 75% of players vote to do so.

- Standard forum rules apply. No quoting PMs, no PM'ing players, votes in red, etc.

Players:
-TheDarkStar
-hector13
-Griffinpup
-BlackHeartKabal
-fillipk
-Dustan Hache
-Tiruin
-juicebox
-Teneb
-FallacyofUrist
-TheBiggerFish, Lynched D1

Replacements:
-TheMoonlitShadow
-Elephant Parade
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:16:37 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 0/11
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:13:23 pm »

A game where everyone has a kill switch/lock on powers/something else with a semi-unknown trigger? Sign me in!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:16:16 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:01:56 pm »

Do you have a set starting time planned?

If it'll start after Puzzle Temple Panic finishes, then in. Otherwise, I'll be a replacement.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:10 pm »

I think I'll in for this one. Not had enough Mafia recently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:23 pm »

Ooh.  I'll in if I may

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:03:25 pm »

In.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 11:50:29 am »

Do you have a set starting time planned?

If it'll start after Puzzle Temple Panic finishes, then in. Otherwise, I'll be a replacement.
Game'll probably start shortly after enough people sign up, whenever that's going to be. I'll put you in for a replacement for now and see how it works out.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 4/11
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 11:55:35 am »

I'll be in

I'm back from my camp and don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 4/11
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 01:33:22 pm »

In, I suppose. Temple panic hasn't really given me a good taste of forumite mafia.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 6/11
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 01:38:02 am »

In please.

But I'm also towards shoving people to NQT's MAFIA GAME because it needs 1 person to fill in.

In, I suppose. Temple panic hasn't really given me a good taste of forumite mafia.
That's because its an unconventional game. :P LIKE THIS ONE. So it'll give you a rather different taste than what the vanilla flavor usually is.
I think you should get a better taste in a non-bastard game, but if you want to join this one--please ask everything RIGHT NOW because in game, you'll be under suspect just like everyone else.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 7/11
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 12:31:13 am »

Didn't really want my first mafia game on this forum to be a bastard game, but since there isn't much else going on, in

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 06:25:03 pm »

Have you played mafia on other forums or something similar? Bastard games can be a bit of a rough introduction if you're just getting into the game.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »

I've played forum mafia before, though the system they used was quite different.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 03:14:01 am »

They used a javascript applet for signups and voting. Signups were limited to either 10,15,or 20 players, with either two, three, or four mafia. There were usually only three roles: mafia, town, and one cop. Mods occasionally added other roles, usually in flavor heavy games, but since the only actual way to remove people from the game was to lynch them or for the wolves to eat them, there were no killing roles like vig or sk. Also, the cop had to vote to use his inspect, so at the beginning of every round that the cop still lived, everybody randomly voted to hide the cop. Since the only way to end the game was for all the wolves or all the humans to die, alternate wincons were not a thing. The mods were more involved in the game, and it wasn't uncommon for them to give hints. Everything else worked pretty much the same as here.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 8/11
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 04:01:30 pm »

They used a javascript applet for signups and voting. Signups were limited to either 10,15,or 20 players, with either two, three, or four mafia. There were usually only three roles: mafia, town, and one cop. Mods occasionally added other roles, usually in flavor heavy games, but since the only actual way to remove people from the game was to lynch them or for the wolves to eat them, there were no killing roles like vig or sk. Also, the cop had to vote to use his inspect, so at the beginning of every round that the cop still lived, everybody randomly voted to hide the cop. Since the only way to end the game was for all the wolves or all the humans to die, alternate wincons were not a thing. The mods were more involved in the game, and it wasn't uncommon for them to give hints. Everything else worked pretty much the same as here.
I'm not entirely sure, but what you're describing pretty much sounds like the internet version of IRL mafia. It's obviously not my call, but I would strongly recommend playing one beginner's/"normal" game before joining a bastard one, as bastard games tend to have a lot of stuff going on — too much stuff, if you're not used to forum mafia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31