Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Superhero Mafia: Game Over; Town, Survivors and Lovers Win.  (Read 56315 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 8/11
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »

I'm sure it'll be fine.

Heh heh heh.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 06:42:28 pm »

They used a javascript applet for signups and voting. Signups were limited to either 10,15,or 20 players, with either two, three, or four mafia. There were usually only three roles: mafia, town, and one cop. Mods occasionally added other roles, usually in flavor heavy games, but since the only actual way to remove people from the game was to lynch them or for the wolves to eat them, there were no killing roles like vig or sk. Also, the cop had to vote to use his inspect, so at the beginning of every round that the cop still lived, everybody randomly voted to hide the cop. Since the only way to end the game was for all the wolves or all the humans to die, alternate wincons were not a thing. The mods were more involved in the game, and it wasn't uncommon for them to give hints. Everything else worked pretty much the same as here.
I'm not entirely sure, but what you're describing pretty much sounds like the internet version of IRL mafia. It's obviously not my call, but I would strongly recommend playing one beginner's/"normal" game before joining a bastard one, as bastard games tend to have a lot of stuff going on — too much stuff, if you're not used to forum mafia.
I'll throw something onto Elephant's commentary: If you are going to play a bastard mod without prior experience of even basic mafia of the Bay 12 kind, I recommend you read over a previous bastard game. I've included three bastard game links in this post for you to look over.

Kill Your Own Shakerag Now was on the extreme end of the scale. Though definitely bastard, it will probably be nothing like this game. It's still a fun read, though.

Politibastard was a bit less extreme. Politics. Just... politics. In any case: it's closer to the kind of bastard you should expect from this game.

And finally... Bellsounder, which I imagine is the closest in bastardness to this game.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 11:29:41 am »

And finally... Bellsounder, which I imagine is the closest in bastardness to this game.
>_>
<.<
Welp. Hello Superherovillainpoliceman. Are we meeting paranormal or mutagenic influences here? :P
(Loved Bellsounder--and I am still very :-[ about how I was in Politibastard)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »

I wouldn't say it's as bastardy as Bellsounder. Or perhaps as bastardy but in a different way. I guess we'll have to wait till the game is deadlocked by an interaction I didn't think of to decide.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 09:26:33 pm »

They used a javascript applet for signups and voting. Signups were limited to either 10,15,or 20 players, with either two, three, or four mafia. There were usually only three roles: mafia, town, and one cop. Mods occasionally added other roles, usually in flavor heavy games, but since the only actual way to remove people from the game was to lynch them or for the wolves to eat them, there were no killing roles like vig or sk. Also, the cop had to vote to use his inspect, so at the beginning of every round that the cop still lived, everybody randomly voted to hide the cop. Since the only way to end the game was for all the wolves or all the humans to die, alternate wincons were not a thing. The mods were more involved in the game, and it wasn't uncommon for them to give hints. Everything else worked pretty much the same as here.
I'm not entirely sure, but what you're describing pretty much sounds like the internet version of IRL mafia. It's obviously not my call, but I would strongly recommend playing one beginner's/"normal" game before joining a bastard one, as bastard games tend to have a lot of stuff going on — too much stuff, if you're not used to forum mafia.
I'll throw something onto Elephant's commentary: If you are going to play a bastard mod without prior experience of even basic mafia of the Bay 12 kind, I recommend you read over a previous bastard game. I've included three bastard game links in this post for you to look over.

Kill Your Own Shakerag Now was on the extreme end of the scale. Though definitely bastard, it will probably be nothing like this game. It's still a fun read, though.

Politibastard was a bit less extreme. Politics. Just... politics. In any case: it's closer to the kind of bastard you should expect from this game.

I've read bellsounder already, that was a interesting one. I've also read Mein Kampf, Witches' Coven 1 and 2 and Kill the Webadict. I was saving KYOSN for when I needed a dose of sheer insanity, but I guess I might read it soon. For now though, I think I'll read over politibastard.

I'd like to think I've done enough research to at least keep up. 

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 12:17:32 am »

EBWOP: Well, politibastard was certainly a fun read. Still think I'll save KYOSN for a later date

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:39 am »

Still think I'll save KYOSN for a later date
As the titular character in that game, it is my opinion that that is a smart move. 

Having said that, have TolyK's amusing quotes compilation from that game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 06:18:18 pm »

In
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 06:48:56 pm »

Full in.

Cause Puzzle Temple Panic is a lot less demanding than I expected.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Mafia (Bastard) Signups: 9/11
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 01:11:42 pm »

Hmh.  Interested, although my activity may be crimped next week.

Though that shouldn't keep me from playing.

In.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 01:37:15 pm »

In, because I have way too much time and I'm tired of waiting for the next beginner game.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 03:06:22 pm »

Thereabouts actually sounds accurate.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 03:13:22 pm »

You need to remember most of TBF's posts have only a single line or so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 03:20:45 pm »

Oh come on, I can make multi-line posts too.  I just don't very often.
Sigtext

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 05:15:41 pm »

TMS, since we have the full number of players now, I'd be looking to start the game this week. I can put you on the replacement list if you want or you can take the player slot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31