Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does your retired fortress affect the world at large?  (Read 2829 times)

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does your retired fortress affect the world at large?
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:49 am »

Howdy. I'm considering of playing a series of small forts in close proximity to each other. I'll probably play for 2-3 in game years, retire the fortress and start again. I'm curious as to how this will affect the power in the region and what these forts will decide to do on their own.

Is this something that will even happen? Have you done this and found it interesting at all?

Thanks,
MS

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Does your retired fortress affect the world at large?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:55:59 am »

One effect you may encounter with this is that you get migrants from your previous fort.

Then have that fort fall to goblins once all the military emigrates. With long enough time, they may then build new pits out from that fortress.

Another effect you may encounter with close proximity forts is that if they're under same underground region, breaching caverns in 1 will release spores in all subterran areas in that region.

Murdersquish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:28:37 pm »

Ahh, boo! I was hoping they would stand on their own, not flee from their fort.

Maybe I'll try forts spread out much further, maybe with different mountainhomes in the hope that the forts I retire have something interesting in legends mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:44:01 pm »

Retired fortresses do stand on their own. One of my retired fortresses held out against goblin sieges of over 1000 while I was away (they obviously got hold of an advanced copy of 64 bit multi-threaded DF). The military were all busy training when I went back to visit a few years later with an adventurer.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »

Ahh, boo! I was hoping they would stand on their own, not flee from their fort.

Maybe I'll try forts spread out much further, maybe with different mountainhomes in the hope that the forts I retire have something interesting in legends mode.

Yeah no that's not it, but the military members will migrate normally as do other citizens. There is not a human mind in charge over there, so they may well not be replaced.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 05:33:15 pm »

I believe that non-dwarf citizens (that you naturalized through petitions) are unable to migrate to your new forts.  So one thign to do is have a non-dwarven army comprised of conscripted human bards and dancers.  While the rest of your military is jumping ship to join your new fort, the humans, goblins, elves, whatevers will stay put. v World-activated forts no longer need food, either.  You can just turn everyone into a solider and equip them before retiring- they'll survive attacks better this way. 

Another nifty thing pretains to books.  Whenever a book is written in your fort, it becomes available to the entire civilization.  I remember embarking a second fort in the same civ, and the first caravan brought a book that was written in my first fort! It was a book about a boot about the founding of my previous fort written by a dwarf with a nickname... it was made out of materials I didn't use, but definitely a book written by my dorfs.  I just found this idea really nifty- I can pretend I'm spreading knowledge knowing that my books are on the dwarven caravan!

ChangelingVenom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:43:58 am »

Another nifty thing pretains to books.  Whenever a book is written in your fort, it becomes available to the entire civilization.

I love the book mechanics. I made giant libraries for my dwarves to indulge in, and they seem to be happier and less stressed after doing so. I never have a random mental break down unless a failed artifact creation happens.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 12:07:16 pm »

In DF2016, breakdowns are pretty slow and rare - they're most easily caused by vengefulness spirals. The most dangerous goblin is a dead goblin.