Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About the new Creation myth generation  (Read 6065 times)

Eucalycptus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [PERSONAL_TEXT:NO]
    • View Profile
About the new Creation myth generation
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

As seen here http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
As most of you already saw, the world generation will soon have a plethora of new sliders, such as

• The Magic settings: From none to ubiquitous
  • The Randomness settings: From Earth-like world to standard fantasy to completely random
  • The Hostility settings: No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying

I know that I presonally want a full-random, extremly violent, full-of-magic world. I feel like it would be an intresting place to live, don't you think?
What do you prefer? Are you excited or do you prefer Dwarf Fortress as it is now? Share your ideal combos here.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: About the new Creation myth generation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »

I think I'd increase violence slightly from the default. Just get a bit more action in, but not too much that it's constant. Maybe for an occasional challenge I'd go for full on constant fighting, but I'd mainly stick to a bit above standard. I'd want to make the randomness setting as consistent as possible though. I don't really like the idea of procedurally generated creatures or anything, I'd just want humans, dwarves, livestock, whatever, all as they are now.

Magic though I'm not too sure about. I think I'd want to try out all sorts of different settings there. It could be really fun to just have everything use magic all the time or whatever, but there's also a nice sense of mystery and discovery if you set magic to being rare. I don't think I'd ever go to the extreme lows or highs on that though. I'd go pretty close, but I'd always want magic to be a bit more common than "one bloodline is able to magically nauseate opponents once a year." Nor would I want "Even the squirrels cast fireballs."
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:00 pm »

I would probably go for max magic and violence, building a fort in a berserk like universe sounds great tbh. I really like evil biomes anyway.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

WakeMeUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:41:52 pm »

Does it mean that we will get law and embark scenarios in the next version?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:18:31 pm »

Does it mean that we will get law and embark scenarios in the next version?
No. Next version (once 64 bit is working) is artifacts (a year, maybe?). Then magic and myths (possibly split into multiple releases each...I dunno, a year I suppose). Bugs, suggestions and minor updates in between the releases (6 months each?) Then embark scenarios (law, etc). So quite a long way yet. How long I suppose depends on when Toady feels like taking a break from magic releases.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:22:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 05:09:39 am »

:o

Toady really has bitten off a lot to chew over the next few years. I love the direction development is moving in. World generation is a great and oft overlooked part of the game. It's going to be an absolute bitch to program the expansions he is considering for world generation. I certainly don't envy the nest of venomous bugs and hidden coding pitfalls that await The Toady One there, but I look forward to the end results. Best of lucks to Tarn in tackling this heady list of features.

Personally I like variety, so worlds with a high degree of randomness sound like my cup of tea. I think advanced world generation is going to become even more of an art form once it is expanded.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 05:15:48 am by Melting Sky »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:47:02 am »

I reckon I'd go fer high randomness, low magic, or vice versa. Mostly because I don't want to have to keep too much on the boil at once.

I reckon a bit more violence might be nice. Be good if you could fine tune the type of violence: less fistfights and dingo ambushes, more military campaigns.
One wheel short of a wagon