Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building destroyers and linked door artifacts?  (Read 440 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Building destroyers and linked door artifacts?
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:42:11 pm »

Magma can deconstruct a magma-safe door linked with magma-unsafe mechanism.

Can a building destroyer destroy an artifact door linked with normal mechanism?

What about the reverse - normal door with artifact mechanism?

Would test myself, but don't have any artifact mechanism myself yet despite over a dozen dabbling mechanics.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building destroyers and linked door artifacts?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 04:13:13 pm »

My guess, without any proof backing it, is that building destroyers target the door and destroy or fail to destroy the door based on its artifactedness alone (disregarding BD level 1 only being able to target wood). If so, any mechanism linked to it would simply fall to the floor the same way a toppled building is reduced to a pile of building material (while the door would still be destroyed).

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 03:14:20 am »

So an artifact door, like all artifacts, is nearly indestructible.

I find building destroyers topple more than anything else. It is possible for a building destroyer to topple an artifact door. However, it usually takes a long time.

In order to destroy an artifact, it has to die in one hit, and otherwise takes no damage.

However- I find dragons often killing artifacts outright as they evaporate in the heat of dragonfire, or break them to smithereens with their 1000 years of free growth.

Other doors are vulnerable based on quality and how well situated the door is. It is possible for a door to stand upright with no support from a wall, then topple on the first hit from an invader.

Quality makes a huge difference in durability.

And an artifact mechanism doesn't add durability, but can increase response time massively? I'm not sure about the numbers or which mechanism should be an artifact. The lever, the lever's connection, or the door's connection.

Also, to get the artifact in the skill you want, make the most creative migrant in your fortress the most productive man around, in a moodable skill. It almost always works for me, except when I mess it up.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 04:49:26 am »

Response times of linked furniture is not influenced by mechanism quality, it is item type (door vs. floodgate, hatch vs. bridge) and for single steps build order. Afaik the only situation where mechanism quality matters is value and to hit chances in traps.

For building destroyer safety you don't need artifacts, bridges and hatches work fine. (I play with artifacts disabled.)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:41:51 am »

Indeed, bridges make a fine replacement - however, I'm looking for what else I could use a currently nonexistent artifact mechanism for, other than boosting room value in wells and making a good kea-killing weapon trap.