Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage rework & Raw mod expansion - [ITEM_CAGE]  (Read 1231 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cage rework & Raw mod expansion - [ITEM_CAGE]
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »

Hello, i wish to, as the title suggests, shake up and insert a new TOOL folder for the raws, in order to give modders more power.

Just to clarify, these are MOCK UP's of coding i've prepared as to give a insight to what it might look like, and potentially save time (and therefore effort) in writing them up from scratch for toady if he ever takes a fancy to them. Please do not attempt to insert them into your game, with all likelyhood they will either do nothing, or break the game into crashes.

ITEM_CAGE

This code beneath is the core basis of my suggestion into turning cages into actual 'items' rather than their own class which they are at the moment that can't be distinguished within raws specifically and are hardcoded into the game.

There are three core sizes of cage (small/medium/large) and additionally the two types of glass cage are typically split up into clear cut divisions (cages and aquariums), for my code (with relevant notes attached with a *asterisk* to the right hand side) in the contained spoiler below i have included the smallest class of cage. These are a basis for what cages would become, as per being identifiable in raws.

That is a shorthand explanation of how my suggestion could sit comfortably within the game raws and establish more realistic holding limits.

Additional TOOL_CAGE entries - Entrapment

Besides holding creatures, within the TOOL_CAGE raw interface it also opens the possibility for more to occur. One such scenario is entrapping your opponent in a cage and locking them inside. Then going on to apply that remotely within a trap, for ease of use in catching particularly difficult beasts, such as flying units.

Spoiler: Nets and Snares (click to show/hide)

Alternative contributions from ITEM_CAGE

Some other things are within our reach with these 'animal container' tool items, and how they interact with other tools.

Thanks for taking the time to read through. Helpful suggestions and feedback would be appreciated to improving my own suggestion and keeping up good discussion.

Additional reading

Nets and Animal Trapping author - falcc - February 02, 2015 - Notes - Quite similar to mine, however mine is more expanded as to its function, drawing upon mechanics already of immobilisation in webs in contrast to their suggestion of 'knocking them out', catching beasts in nets is a rather universal concept suggestion wise it seems.
Snares author - GreatWyrmGold -  June 30, 2012 - Notes - a more somewhat realistic take on a snare as to being a lethal weapon, maybe i need to revise the name of my own trap.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 03:30:29 pm by FantasticDorf »