Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: does increasing savagery increase the amount of areas with aquifers?  (Read 4709 times)

JadeToad

• Bay Watcher
  • Shells and rocks are cool!
    • View Profile

just a question.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: does increasing savagery increase the amount of areas with aquifers?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:31:46 pm »

No, it only makes the world have more (and bigger) animals.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:41:14 pm »

Don't increase savagery too much, or else dwarves won't be able to spawn, since mountain halls and fortress can only be placed in neutral mountains.

If you want more aquifers, you could used advanced parameters to increase rainfall and/or decrease drainage. If you want less aquifers, you could do the opposite, or remove them altogether by editing the raws to delete the [AQUIFER] tag from all entries in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, inorganic_stone_layer.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:51:42 am »

Elves have a bit of savagery tolerance, and I've been surprised by seeing dorfs expand in mountains that I thought would be too savage. Goblins and especially humans have low savagery tolerance.

Not sure those aquifer affecting measures would work. As far as I've seen it's only a matter of aquifer supporting layers deeper than two layers down. DF reduces the supported soil depth depending on the elevation. At ocean level (i.e. 100) DF supports 10 levels of soil (although it doesn't seem to generate more than 4 unless hacked). One (potential) level is shed for each 5 Z level above that, so embarking at 140 or higher will guarantee you won't get any soil aquifer (you can still get stone ones, though).