Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412546 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1140 on: January 04, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »

I'm not really sure what hinting would do beside obfuscate what the forgotten beast does. Instead of  string telling what it does, it'd be nother string, making it fuzzy what it does and that string will just coorlate to the given ability, adding nothing but a layer of obfuscation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:04 pm »

You'd be testing what the forgotten beast does on every encounter, rather then approaching with a prepackaged strategy. The game needs some work in the beast taming/stealth front first to really take advantage of that though.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 04, 2017, 09:34:28 pm »

Would you? If it is like secretive moods you'd just use a lookup table/guessing what it actually is...

But if you knew nothing, if all you got was the body plan and name, I guess there would be more sacrificial kittens and adamantine weapons from some militarily-minded overseers - though ultimately, what works on steel FB with deadly dust and webs works on steam FB with poison sting, and you gotta be ready to handle all comers.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 05, 2017, 12:03:04 am »

Would you? If it is like secretive moods you'd just use a lookup table/guessing what it actually is...

Exactly there would be a short time period were the community wouldnt know, then that information would be correlated on the wikia and fully look able. What would it actually add? Annoyance maybe because you'd have to pause and go look up what 'As the forgotten beasts walks forth it brings in its wake covering of dirt and skin debris' or however vauge the hint string would be.

Toady One and ThreeToe could possible hide it, by preventing enough vauge strings to make it hard to correlate, as some of them would be terrible and wouldnt make any sense.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 05, 2017, 05:43:37 am »

Changing explicit FB description of effects into obfuscated versions is just a waste of time, as stated above, since the community will make the connection is only slightly more time than Toady wasted on changing it. Some things that would add to the challenge would be:
- A game option to omit the effects description, to force the player to try to figure out what it does.
- A game option to make FBs composed of something other than flesh more vague.
I doubt either of these alternatives are useful enough to be implemented before 1.0 is done, though...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 05, 2017, 06:46:38 am »

Perhaps. But what if is hidden only in game. That's it, if you are the first one to encounter the FB, then you don't know what it does beyond it's looks. The same could go for a FB that already had previous encounters but no survivors where left to tell the tale. Kind of like the rumors and alias are working know.

On the other hand a FB that is widely know could have the full description, but again taking from the rumor mechanics, it could have exaggerated proprieties, like "it shoots lasers from it's eyes" and "it craps pure gold nuggets", and so on, and only once you encounter it and see what it does in battle the description clears out only to discover that it only crap silver nuggets, what a disappointment.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:48:37 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 05, 2017, 07:03:02 am »

On the other hand a FB that is widely know could have the full description, but again taking from the rumor mechanics, it could have exaggerated proprieties, like "it shoots lasers from it's eyes" and "it craps pure gold nuggets", and so on, and only once you encounter it and see what it does in battle the description clears out only to discover that it only crap silver nuggets, what a disappointment.

Now that's gold. (pardon the pun)
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:07 am »

well that's pretty fucking funny

It would actually be amazing if the rumor system affected the information we have about megabeasts or so

Imagine doing your business as usual, making cheese and bringing drunks to the hospital for water bucket treatments and suddenly some creature with ' ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ' in its name and description appears in the middle of your fortress
After some seconds it gets updated with a crude description from the dwarves that are there, before they are completely and efortless vaporized by the strange creature

' ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  '

It seems to be a blue humanoid creature, from which it emanates a strong blue light, it doesnt have any facial features and it levitates calmly. now you'll know why you fear the unknown

This apparently divine creature starts digging 6x6 holes in your fort, from where lightning portals to other worlds become open,
All of this while you get cancellation messages spam, and nobody knowing what the fuck is going on

Seems like the start of a good mistery/fantasy book in my eyes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:56:47 am by Rubik »

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 05, 2017, 10:24:38 am »

Will the system of Ages change with the myth update? Right now it's based on the number of beasts and mundane creatures in the world and total population proportions of civilized races. How will this change, if at all?
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 05, 2017, 10:42:31 am »

Why would it change? I guess the system would be more or less the same for the most mundane worlds, only that instead of beasts the mightiest lords and races would name eras. The Goblin Era of Bonecraker Lord, supreme rules of the Jubail Mountains.

Ummm on second thoughts perhaps it could change a little based on the fantastic levels of the world, but in any case I think any change for it would be on the back burner for a long long time, unless it's one of those low hanging fruits encountered from time to time, or it's a must once the fantasy settings options come along.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 05, 2017, 11:43:17 am »

Is the army arc, as a design/timeline conceit, well and truly dead? If so, can we get some sort of post-mortem? In particular, the basic gameplay elements that could make fort mode a bit more strategy-oriented, with players taking a more active governance role and sending out armies (partly composed of hill dwarves) to conquer and stuff. I'm asking now because artifact retrieval seems mechanically related. Will a lot of army arc stuff tie into that? I imagine some will come up in embark scenarios too, and some bits are probably in the no timeline category.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 05, 2017, 11:50:28 am »

Why would it change?

I think it will change, for example if there is a shift in world magic (as presented in Threetoe's story) or a strong world event ("The Second Apocalypse").
Ages should be shorter, and more linked to what actually "happen" in the world, and with more addition to "events" I think new Ages will follow.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 05, 2017, 11:51:56 am »

As far as I understand, the artifact retrieval is a start in the direction of sending out other kinds of parties as well. Another piece is the ability to enter other planes (which comes after one way portals) that should provide the functionality to have more than one location active in DF at a time.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 05, 2017, 02:25:58 pm »

Is the army arc, as a design/timeline conceit, well and truly dead? If so, can we get some sort of post-mortem? In particular, the basic gameplay elements that could make fort mode a bit more strategy-oriented, with players taking a more active governance role and sending out armies (partly composed of hill dwarves) to conquer and stuff. I'm asking now because artifact retrieval seems mechanically related. Will a lot of army arc stuff tie into that? I imagine some will come up in embark scenarios too, and some bits are probably in the no timeline category.

All those concepts are still on the table. The DF dev cycle tends to involve Toady realizing he bit off more than he could chew, or that some other dev goal ought to be done first, or just getting bored of working on the same thing for a few months, and things get shelved on the backburner. The backburner with all these shelves is built into table, though. Toady's kitchen setup is weird. Anyway, all of this eventually comes back around (lest one end of the table get too hot and catch fire); as Pat said, being able to send out parties to get your stuff back after some jerk takes them is the first step toward influencing the wider world around your fort, which was one of the goals of the Army Arc years ago.

As far as the Age system changing, it's changed in the past and I don't see any reason to assume it'll never change again in the future. The Creation Myth Generator alone will likely shake things up enough to have to rework it a bit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:28:58 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1154 on: January 05, 2017, 03:01:37 pm »

If you haven't clarified it yet in a devlog post newer than this question, will we be able to have false identities/pseudonyms in adventurer mode?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 211