Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413601 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2016, 03:06:40 pm »

Hey Toady, I know you've probably gotten this question a thousand times, but...

> With the coming focus on artifacts/myth, which seems like it'll really improve the immersiveness and interactivity of the world both in adventure mode and fort mode, do you think there may be any thought given to implementing mounts in both adventure and fort mode? Siegers have been able to ride beasts for quite some time, so why not allow our dwarves/intrepid explorers to do the same? I suppose the feature just hasn't ever really been important enough to dedicate a lot of thought to or spend much time on, but with the world suddenly increasing in depth and complexity by leaps and bounds, this seems like an addition that would be pretty beneficial to immersion and !!fun!!.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2016, 03:19:02 pm »

Excuse my logic but "every dwarf is dead = civ dead", at least in my book. I'm aware that DF logic might absolutely disagree with me here...
Maybe the community's parlance for this may not be most intuitive for what you'd expect "dead" or "dying" to mean from the perspective of IRL, but given the message has been there for years it is natural to use it's distinctive words when distinguishing between a civ that gets early monarch and 3+ migrant waves and one who is limited to just two waves.

I'm not sure what it takes to kill a dwarf civilization, tbh.

To kill the civilisation - rob all its artifacts, disband/crush its armies and conquer its holdings.

To kill the race - All of the above and destroy the refugee camps plus hunt down those in exile, migrant waves are mandatory 'game requirements', if you pitch up directly outside your capital home and don't get more than 2 & a monarch is appointed then the dwarf civ is brown bread.

Reading off DFhack statistics also helps if you need council on whether subject A is dead in comparison to subject B.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2016, 03:52:14 pm »

> With the coming focus on artifacts/myth, which seems like it'll really improve the immersiveness and interactivity of the world both in adventure mode and fort mode, do you think there may be any thought given to implementing mounts in both adventure and fort mode? Siegers have been able to ride beasts for quite some time, so why not allow our dwarves/intrepid explorers to do the same? I suppose the feature just hasn't ever really been important enough to dedicate a lot of thought to or spend much time on, but with the world suddenly increasing in depth and complexity by leaps and bounds, this seems like an addition that would be pretty beneficial to immersion and !!fun!!.
The connection between artifacts and adventurer mounts seems incredibly tenuous. Regardless Toady has planned to add them for a long time, and so the answer unless it turns out Toady has decided that artifacts and adventurer mounts need to be added at the same time is going to be "Sounds good, no timeline." None of the current development plan really leads into mounts. That would be more when adventurer mode economy or something is being improved.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »

Babies have been seriously nerfed lately. Not only did they lose their vestigial self-defense knives but as of this last update they're no longer competitive footracers or hammer throwers either. No wonder they're always getting kidnapped. Any short/long term plans for babies to gain any interesting roles in world gen? Heirs of kingdoms being hidden away by evil uncles, babies being visited by religious leaders upon their birth and having prophecies told about them, babies being sent down the river and adopted by monarchs or just eaten by elves? You know, baby stuff. Seems like at least some of it would fit in with myths.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »

The connection between artifacts and adventurer mounts seems incredibly tenuous. Regardless Toady has planned to add them for a long time, and so the answer unless it turns out Toady has decided that artifacts and adventurer mounts need to be added at the same time is going to be "Sounds good, no timeline." None of the current development plan really leads into mounts. That would be more when adventurer mode economy or something is being improved.

In fairness, unless each settlement generated a little stable area and some sort of context of who owns this horse before you jump on the back of it, you could just buy a caged animal from a depot/shop for a bag of coins as it is right now and jump on its back. Pressing this line of inquiry would also put pressure on creature<adventurer relationships (elf telepathy etc) and taming (for your companion posse of beasts/mounts), which right now are semi-important things not really explicitly put on the dev log.

But yeah, more economy to move things around, we already know that villages feed local materials into markets via trade relations, but besides from farming and butchering which we can see in action, how villages and such explictly produce materials is all a bit 'out of thin air', lest to think where they store their horses/caged localised pet worth animals before they sell them to the market.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »

In what cases does the worldgen 'dead' counter go down?

During a worldgen, around year 250, there were over 4000 dead, but by year 300 there were only 3700 dead.
It wasn't a necromancer (I think - there weren't any necromancer towers) or good/evil regions (disabled in the params).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2016, 04:52:35 pm »

@Afghani84: The 7 starting dwarves are all generated out of the void regardless of the state of your civ. Healthy a dying civs can send a mixture of void dwarves and ones that come from other fortresses (including retired player ones). And yes, RL logic doesn't apply to DF in a lot of cases. I'm not aware of what the conditions are for a civ to be fully dead.
And yes, it's possible to revive dwarvenkind from the starting 7+2 waves, but bringing a fortress up to 140 dwarves and fulfilling all the other requirements for a metropolis is not sufficient to get a monarch (I've tried. It took 75+ years to reach a pop of 140). I've heard it said you can get a monarch through generation of multiple fortresses that are then retired, but that's likely to require some care so you're not just shifting the same population around as migrants.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2016, 08:02:02 pm »

It's 2018, Toady got the artifacts and myth stuff out quickly, and whipped out a surprise economy update for early scenario groundwork.

In the process he did two other things, he resolved the adventurer/npc mount generation issues, and accidentally resurrected a bug from 42.01.

Every citizen, in every site, regardless of age, position, or tasks, can be found constantly astride a horse.

In sites where there are not enough citizens, horses can be found riding other horses in stacks a hundred high.

The DF Horse Bug Part 2: The Horsening.

Oh won't you be my neigh-eigh-eigh-bor?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2016, 09:01:28 pm »

It's 2018, Toady got the artifacts and myth stuff out quickly, and whipped out a surprise economy update for early scenario groundwork.

In the process he did two other things, he resolved the adventurer/npc mount generation issues, and accidentally resurrected a bug from 42.01.

Every citizen, in every site, regardless of age, position, or tasks, can be found constantly astride a horse.

In sites where there are not enough citizens, horses can be found riding other horses in stacks a hundred high.

The DF Horse Bug Part 2: The Horsening.

Oh won't you be my neigh-eigh-eigh-bor?

Wait, what?  I don't remember that bug.  Was that really a thing?  If so, I have to go reenact it.  For SCIENCE!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:46 pm »

We were just up to our eyeballs in horses.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »

Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Save us."
Yeah, 42.01 was very amusing in that way.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2016, 05:16:48 am »

What if the magical artifact was a glove that transformed people into talking horses?

Ergzay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2016, 03:35:56 pm »

What compiler do you use for compiling the new versions of Dwarf Fortress? Did you upgrade the mac and linux compilers for the 64-bit version as well? Do you use -O3 on the mac and linux compilers to provide optimizations to the software?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »

Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Save us."
Yeah, 42.01 was very amusing in that way.
I still love the legends of dwarves wearing an ikea catalog full of furniture as armor, wandering around the farms, planting beds in rows.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »

What compiler do you use for compiling the new versions of Dwarf Fortress? Did you upgrade the mac and linux compilers for the 64-bit version as well? Do you use -O3 on the mac and linux compilers to provide optimizations to the software?
A lot of this was covered in the 43.04 and 43.05 release threads, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 211