Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413908 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1350 on: February 10, 2017, 06:51:22 pm »

Yeah, there's 0 indeterminate, 1 romance male, 2 marry male, 3 romance female, 4 marry female, they can be flipped in any combination with dfhack though I suspect having the first one active will disable the others from working, and generally units only have two of the romance/marry flipped in some combination. I remain both amused and terrified at the idea of df style combat system/reports ending up involved in romance, but having the option to start up romances and even attempt to insinuate yourself into the good graces of some site or civ ruler via marrying in, romancing the ruler, or whatnot with something like the values/emotions interfaces would be fitting with the new angle of spying and such coming in.

Rather, it's 1 indeterminate, 2 romance male, 4 marry male, 8 romance female and 16 marry female. It's all one number.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:47 pm »

Lua flags or address bits, whichever, either way it's something he's kinda got in place but not directly intended, same with the campsites/adventurer groups losing the links to their default civ, trying to leave options open for later but it kinda ended up in a funky spot since those options aren't fleshed out enough now to be interesting. I suppose we'll end up with it being tossed into the sliders like the personality stuff is now, or maybe with the physical features stuff or something if he ends up moving that from a random buttonspam-til-you-get-close-enough to a customize features screen.

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 10, 2017, 10:08:02 pm »

In the myth/magic releases it will be possible to generate worlds without dwarves, by setting the fantasy rating high enough to preclude dwarves from spawning. So I guess this means that those worlds will either be adventure mode only, or we will be able to play as generated races in fortress mode. Once this is worked out, would any generated civilization be playable or only certain ones? If the latter, what would the criteria be for a race being playable or not? And would that make the raw-defined races like goblins and humans and elves, etc. playable in fortress mode too?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:11:17 pm by Hinaichigo »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 10, 2017, 10:41:53 pm »

In the myth/magic releases it will be possible to generate worlds without dwarves, by setting the fantasy rating high enough to preclude dwarves from spawning. So I guess this means that those worlds will either be adventure mode only, or we will be able to play as generated races in fortress mode. Once this is worked out, would any generated civilization be playable or only certain ones? If the latter, what would the criteria be for a race being playable or not? And would that make the raw-defined races like goblins and humans and elves, etc. playable in fortress mode too?
The future is decades away, but yeah the aim eventually is to play 'sites' and 'adventurers' (and perhaps 'whole civ' eventually) without restriction to site type or race. This would require a lot more work though and probably won't happen in the first mythgen release.

Toady mentioned (somewhere, fotf probably) previously that on max fantasy where there'll be no regular "tolkien" races, it might arrange itself to ensure at least one underground fortress building race so you could enjoy site mode with your random weirdos right from the start.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 11, 2017, 01:52:18 am »

I know it's not directly related to artifacts, but now that we've been playing fairly successfully with non-dwarf visitors for a while, are you going to allow non-dwarf citizens to arrive with migrants in the next release (or even the starting 7)? Or is that more complex than it seems and something that'll need to wait until Scenarios or whenever a major migrant revamp is due?

Seems a shame to have these great civs filled with goblins, gorlaks and elephant-men if they'll never come to play (Except their bards and mercenaries).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 11, 2017, 05:08:42 am »

Non dwarven migrants will cause trouble for those who want to play small fortresses where they build their populations themselves, as match making doesn't work over race boundaries (at least not currently). Having said that, I'm completely in favor of multi race migration being allowed, either as an option (for the world, or even better: the fortress), or "hard coded" as a function of selecting a given starting scenario.
I don't get many visitors who are not of the major races (I think the total is 2), but that's to be expected given that the minor races typically make up such a small percentage of the population of their civs.
It might be a better (or parallel) option to introduce non home civ migrants/refugees (including "wild" animal people) who come to the fortress to apply for residence/citizenship. While residents, they'd probably be restricted to hauling jobs, to make them behave in a fashion analogous to that of scholars/performers.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 11, 2017, 05:52:25 am »

I know it's kind of a suggestion but I think it's also relevant as a question for scenarios as the post above discuss.
Toady, does a ingame mechanic about inmigrants control is planned? Like the orders from the menu, manager or nobles, where you can select:
Inmigrans:
-Allow everyone.
-Allow only dwarves.
-Allow only dwarves from own civilization.
-Allow selected races and/or civilizations. (With a sub menu where you select which races and civilizationa are allowed from a list of known ones).
-Allow none.
-Build a wall and make the goblins pay.

Or perhaps it could function as mandates too, where the ruling noble forbid Bullmen to enter the fortress because a bullmen or minotaurs killed his/her parents, or anything along those lines?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:51:26 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 11, 2017, 06:39:53 am »

~Snip question~

Seems a shame to have these great civs filled with goblins, gorlaks and elephant-men if they'll never come to play (Except their bards and mercenaries).

But you already can get other races migrating to your fortress within your civ.

If you were playing a race that takes slaves directly from attacked sites (citizens, not adventurers who need to qualify for citizenship) then they will act as the civilization does and migrate with other normal citizens based on a population ratio basis (70% goblins compared to 30% humans gives small odds to a human emigrating but it happens sometimes)

The issue you could say is that without any REALLY active living spaces or abodes for settled down adventurers to retire & join population statistics though the non-simulated citizenship system they don't join civs as regular members and therefore part of the living dwarf civ, just travelling around until they die occasionally breeding with another of their kind/spouse when they meet up.

As to the above point will at any point in the future AI adventurers may be able to retire from a life of adventuring *ideally for good* (after a crippling injury, success/failure, marriage etc.) so they can just join the normal civilian life?

Goblins are very tolerant (generally) so no wonder they accept anybody different to themselves (even after they snatch them from birth or take them as prisoners of war), while it might be said that most races can have individuals with very xenophobic views and that might create innate societal problems probably affecting the ratio of entity civs/animalmen there are.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 11, 2017, 06:54:58 am »

Don't need a slave taking civ actually, you can have multiple [CREATURE:blah] entries in an entity, it'll plunk them down one after the other as it cycles through, and then history can wind up with the critters that weren't your main race (i.e. dwarf first, human second, goblin third, and you pick one of the dwarf groups to play) migrating to your civ sites if you fiddle with the likes/tolerates options and end up with a much higher proportion of different races living together in what was initially a dwarven sub-unit of a multi-species civ.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 11, 2017, 07:19:08 am »

~snip~

For multiple races living on the same site you do, your explicit method creates separate settlements only populated by one kind of creature. For all the creatures to live on one site slavery is the easiest option because it folds them immediately into the civilization population count and pushes them directly to become farmers/soldiers. If goblins raid elves, there will be 1 or 10 pointy eared recruits on the next skirmish depending on how fast the new slaves breed or more citizens are captured for the same civilization.

Goblins snowball the more people they enslave & settlements they pillage (which seems to increase the count of goblins each time curiously, if they are 'stealing' food to turn into population, i don't know.) because they get direct supplements to population.

Very easily you can make a 'Dark Elf' race within the same evil entity (flipping a coin on which race will generate in worldgen civ generation), but if the creature values are different they'll see the world differently and at the end of the day they aren't the same civilization as you are and you could have defined a completely separate civ for them to much the same effect.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:21:20 am by FantasticDorf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 11, 2017, 09:05:59 am »

So, you're saying that in vanilla dwarf fortress, right now, my migrant waves will automatically include the animal men, humans and others who are part of my civilization and I just haven't noticed yet because there aren't many?

My current civ has 44 humans and 3 plump helmet men compared to my 4227 dwarves. While chances are low, they can turn up in my migrant waves?

(Oh, and we have a erm...'Lemur Brute Visitor' too - will have to keep an eye out for him...).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:32 am »

Yes but those are heroes (bards/monsterhunters/scholars etc.), not actual citizens. Actual citizens which take up local professions/join the military like a normal entity member can migrate but its made more unlikely by the amount of other citizens, i guess you could say they are taking up residencies but never actually make the leap for citizenship & putting down their adventurer gear.

(if their children don't immediately become adventurers/die then im not sure but then you'd have odds of 4000 dwarves to about 12 humans once they grew up, my own data was collected from goblin non-vanilla slaves which are citizens against their will and therefore adult *ontop of snatched babies*)

> Occasionally its known if a lot of dwarven babies get snatched and never rescued, then dwarves might turn up as babystealers in future (taking a civilian job) which is a example of this in action. Toady has already sort of pseudo-confirmed that racially the same secret agents will be used to infiltrate other civilisations which would be a use of civilian population.

I wish you luck with your brute visitor.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:29:33 am by FantasticDorf »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 11, 2017, 09:14:43 pm »

Dwarven babystealers is a lot more common than "occasionally" since right now they adopt the goblin ethics/values upon being kidnapped, hence the rescued kid-shanking bug.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 11, 2017, 11:17:45 pm »

Ok, I know that certain races might get racial magic from the god or force that created them but I have 2 questions about more available magic.
1. Will there be gods that any race can worship and receive divine magic from?
2. Will there be forces that any race can tap into with the proper training to cast magic?

Anyone have answers for these questions?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 12, 2017, 12:16:22 am »

Ok, I know that certain races might get racial magic from the god or force that created them but I have 2 questions about more available magic.
1. Will there be gods that any race can worship and receive divine magic from?
2. Will there be forces that any race can tap into with the proper training to cast magic?

Anyone have answers for these questions?
Toady (if anyone). And he'll answer at the end of the month, like always.

Be prepared for an answer along the lines of 'yeah, maybe, haven't thought that far ahead' though as it's not part of the next release. Only what's in the dev notes is really decided.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:22:58 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 211