Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413897 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1365 on: February 12, 2017, 06:54:08 am »

They stay as indeterminate afaik.
And does 'undeterminate' prevent retired adventurers from forming relationships and marrying?
Would you marry someone if you are not sure what sex are you atracted to? or if you are atracted to nothing at all?

edit: let's say that we ignore arranged marriages for now, btw

Aw poop. I was scrolling through the last page reading what I had left for later, and I didnt know that a new page was made, ignore me
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:56:21 am by Rubik »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 12, 2017, 11:01:08 am »

For multiple races living on the same site you do, your explicit method creates separate settlements only populated by one kind of creature. For all the creatures to live on one site slavery is the easiest option because it folds them immediately into the civilization population count and pushes them directly to become farmers/soldiers. If goblins raid elves, there will be 1 or 10 pointy eared recruits on the next skirmish depending on how fast the new slaves breed or more citizens are captured for the same civilization.

Goblins snowball the more people they enslave & settlements they pillage (which seems to increase the count of goblins each time curiously, if they are 'stealing' food to turn into population, i don't know.) because they get direct supplements to population.

Very easily you can make a 'Dark Elf' race within the same evil entity (flipping a coin on which race will generate in worldgen civ generation), but if the creature values are different they'll see the world differently and at the end of the day they aren't the same civilization as you are and you could have defined a completely separate civ for them to much the same effect.

Goblins do not eat food, so it is not food they are stealing.  It is more likely that you are seeing simply less goblins are dying in a scenerio where goblins successfully overrun everyone than in a scenario where they are checked. Goblin site populations always increase to hit the hardcoded maximum with no regard for food supplies, that I know. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 12, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »

1. Does the abstracted passage of time outside Fortress and Adventure mode take into consideration pathing structures built by the player?

For a better explanation of what I'm getting at -- I have a map where there are two main continents, both populated with a variety of civilizations. At one point, the two coastlines come within a single map tile of each other. If I build a bridge linking the two continents, will the civilizations utilize it and begin establishing trade and diplomatic contacts with each other across the bridge? Either in Fortress Mode, or if I retire the fortress and go do other stuff for a few years?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 12, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »

If you build a fortress on the "water" tile, that tile suddenly becomes possible to traverse. You build the fortress on a biome that juts out into the ocean one. I use that trick to keep the goblins from taking over the world and then let them out by building a bridging fortress. Note that the fortress does not have to provide a physical passage across the water: it's sufficient for it to be present in the world tile to change if from impassable to passable. I then retire the bridging fortress and build my "real" one on the goblin side (for goblinite mining), and the "real" fortress gets access to human and elven caravans, which wouldn't be available without the bridge. Obviously, my worlds are PSV defined, so I can place the bridge and the races where I want them. I also tend to have to regenerate the world until the bridge tile actually gets some land to build on.

Thus, currently a physical structure doesn't add anything, but a fortress does (I don't know about adventure sites). I think the same kind of bridge can be created to provide access between two sides of a mountain range as well, although I haven't tried it.

There are some cases where building a bridge fortress does not provide access (visible in a failure to get access to the races at the other side pre embark) which somehow seems to be dependent on which direction the land biome enters the bridge tile, but I haven't understood the rules for that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 13, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »

Fascinating. I'll have to play around with this.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 13, 2017, 10:06:31 pm »

Here's some more questions regarding the afterlife and architecture:
1. If a person is really devoted to a god could that god reincarnate their soul as one of their angels so they could serve them for eternity?
2. Would being killed and resurrected eternally be a possible punishment for a hell like after life plane?
3. Would it be possible that on some hell like planes the souls of the wicked are reformed into demons to wreck chaos and destruction?
4. I know in the myth and magic update there will be an option to create really weird races, my question is would they also get random architecture for their sites? Especially if there are no humans, dwarves, elves, goblins etc.?
5. Also would such randomly generated races also have randomly generated laws, cultural values, government hierarchies etc.?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:08:22 pm by Beag »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 13, 2017, 10:18:41 pm »

Here's some more questions regarding the afterlife and architecture:
1. If a person is really devoted to a god could that god reincarnate their soul as one of their angels so they could serve them for eternity?
2. Would being killed and resurrected eternally be a possible punishment for a hell like after life plane?
3. Would it be possible that on some hell like planes the souls of the wicked are reformed into demons to wreck chaos and destruction?
4. I know in the myth and magic update there will be an option to create really weird races, my question is would they also get random architecture for their sites? Especially if there are no humans, dwarves, elves, goblins etc.?
5. Also would such randomly generated races also have randomly generated laws, cultural values, government hierarchies etc.?

I guess Toady will have more to say later (or not as is usually the case with questions about the future which belong in the suggestions forum, not here). But:
4) We don't have varying architecture for different civs right now, but it's been mentioned as something which may be implemented. At that point, probably. But unless a major reworking of sites happens beforehand (which it might) the initial version of mythgen will probably be limited to Town, Underground Fortress, Tree village, Dark Pits as they are now.

6) Cultural values for human civs are random right now, so almost certainly will be for random beast civs (or, more likely procedurally generated to link to their creation myth). Laws and government heirarchies don't really exist at the moment, but again, customizable, procedurally generated laws and heirarchies have been mentioned (for the Scenarios release) so, at that point, yeah they'll be random probably.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:28:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 14, 2017, 02:09:18 am »

Do things like regional resurrection interactions work during world-gen? Does it need something like the IS_HIST_STRING1/2 lines? It works fine in play (to my amusement, as I forgot I had experimented with them) but I was hoping to use it to avoid the situations where "gigantic and absurdly tough megabeast was struck down by a camel in the middle of nowhere in 62" type events were permanent.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 14, 2017, 11:33:39 am »

Do things like regional resurrection interactions work during world-gen? Does it need something like the IS_HIST_STRING1/2 lines? It works fine in play (to my amusement, as I forgot I had experimented with them) but I was hoping to use it to avoid the situations where "gigantic and absurdly tough megabeast was struck down by a camel in the middle of nowhere in 62" type events were permanent.

I have seen zombie notable beasts in legends mode before, but it seems to be rare unless you deliberately encourage it through evilness. Easiest way to get a lot is to generate a Monster Island set to include evil regions, as chances are the ENTIRE island will come out evil.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 14, 2017, 01:19:54 pm »

I wanted to make sure I had it working right so I set it to ALL terrains, but it's not an animate interaction, it's a resurrection one which does work after world-gen is over, but not during for some reason.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 16, 2017, 04:47:54 am »

In the future, could we be able to make our own object testing arenas?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 16, 2017, 04:58:05 am »

There's an editor planned so you'll be able to make whatever you like. It's even in the dev notes. Might be quite a long way in the future though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 16, 2017, 06:29:47 am »

The arena is already fully customizable in data/init/arena.txt

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:19 am »

There's an editor planned so you'll be able to make whatever you like. It's even in the dev notes. Might be quite a long way in the future though.
Thenk goodness.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: February 16, 2017, 11:14:41 am »

Your adventurer can now name any of their legally-nameable objects (so e.g. no arrow stacks, but you can name individual arrows).

Aw yiss. Next time I kill a dragon with a spear I made myself, I'll definitely be naming it Tamunnazweng.

...unless I'm playing kobolds or surfaced cave-natives in my mod, in which case I'm fucked. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 211