Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1415334 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: February 16, 2017, 11:17:23 am »

Will you be able to follow offsite dwarfs to where they do battle, or will they simply come back some time later, when you get to see if they were successful or not?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 16, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »

The latter

Has Toady mentioned whether in the first iteration you'll be able to see the tact squads in action in some sort of remote window view or will they simply disappear off screen and then update you on what's happened when/if they later return?
From the dev page, it'll be the latter - the squad(s?) go off the map, and you'll get their tale when they return (or rumors on their fate if they don't).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 16, 2017, 02:29:48 pm »

But the plan is to eventually go multi site, which will provide the framework for following them. That should be a fair number of major releases off, though, so I wouldn't expect it this decade, as myth and magic will take a fair number of releases to cover.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 16, 2017, 03:40:11 pm »

I wonder if the rightmost local fort map could have an option to swap it at least temporarily (assuming there are people who use it and would care if it went away) for something like the zoomed in travel map with your army and nearby armies moving around their current active site?

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 16, 2017, 05:45:34 pm »

Will (Non-Player) adventurers ever abandon their quests? - Or fail without the ending result be their death?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 16, 2017, 08:16:48 pm »

In the future, could we be able to make our own object testing arenas?
There's an editor planned so you'll be able to make whatever you like. It's even in the dev notes. Might be quite a long way in the future though.
Thenk goodness.

Again, already in the game. data/init/arena.txt

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 16, 2017, 08:32:09 pm »

In the future, could we be able to make our own object testing arenas?
There's an editor planned so you'll be able to make whatever you like. It's even in the dev notes. Might be quite a long way in the future though.
Thenk goodness.

Again, already in the game. data/init/arena.txt
I mean, there's an actual editor, for creating worlds and sites to your exact specifications in the works.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 16, 2017, 09:12:15 pm »

What other things besides artifacts will we be able to send our armies after in the first release? Books? Historical items? Beasts and people (i.e., capture/assassinate)?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 17, 2017, 02:09:59 am »

What other things besides artifacts will we be able to send our armies after in the first release? Books? Historical items? Beasts and people (i.e., capture/assassinate)?
Iirc, last one would tie more with the army arc, and there's no fixed time for that
Books are specifically confirmed (I think he said on twitter that you could do quests for scholars and retrieving books) probably because the game handles them as artifacts
Historical items, in the sense of relics? Most probably. In the sense of ''I just named my jug Andrew!'', probably not

On a side note, to capture creatures, I think we eould need tying/handling and/or dragging people and creatures, unless yo let your warriors use cages as pokeballs forever, and that's also far enough in the development (not pokeballs though, that's probably never coming)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 17, 2017, 02:23:31 am »

Sending out squads is directly part of the army arc. It's just up to Toady if he considers adding 'slay a monster' squads to the regular artifact recovery squads as low hanging fruit for this release. Interested in this answer myself. I imagine it's more difficult than it seems. Especially as Npcs were specifically not given slay-a-beast quests.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 17, 2017, 05:47:44 am »

Yeah, I still am surprised that we are getting such ammount of npc action so soon
You really have to consider many many things when making them quite autonomous as Toady wants them to be. His dev. logs reflect this, and the bugs that come will surely be hilarious, but I wonder if everything will come out fine for the next release

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:39 am »

I think that's the reason of his lack of progress of the last month. This is a really big thing.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 17, 2017, 10:25:49 am »

Sending out squads is directly part of the army arc. It's just up to Toady if he considers adding 'slay a monster' squads to the regular artifact recovery squads as low hanging fruit for this release. Interested in this answer myself. I imagine it's more difficult than it seems. Especially as Npcs were specifically not given slay-a-beast quests.

I expect that we might be able to effectively send squads to kill dragons in their lairs if we know that they have some object of value to send the squad after.  My personal hope is to be able to send squads out to retrieve kidnapped children.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 17, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »

It's been said that artifacts will only be able to wear down or break under certain conditions, but a what about regular items that an adventurer turns into artifacts after worldgen? Will they follow the same rules as traditional artifacts?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 17, 2017, 02:53:42 pm »

It's been said that artifacts will only be able to wear down or break under certain conditions, but a what about regular items that an adventurer turns into artifacts after worldgen? Will they follow the same rules as traditional artifacts?

Remember that regular items can already be named in fortress mode by dwarves, at least allegedly. So if those remain able to break down (I think they can?), then I'd guess the same applies to adventurer-named ones, unless the logic for "lesser" artifacts is changed.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 211