Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413691 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #180 on: July 12, 2016, 04:28:42 pm »

Maybe. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 12, 2016, 04:36:03 pm »

READ MORE DISCWORLD

The last hero is a good one, practically a short picture-book but the artwork and attention to detail is really remarkable.

> Back on topic, i can't help but feel some of these questions are deja-vu from the last iteration of the thread.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 12, 2016, 05:08:40 pm »

He's looking to have it produce generated civs from scratch at high enough settings, with nothing we might recognize necessarily even showing up.
Thanks. But that's not what my question was about.

Juan117

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »

Hey i was wondering if DF is going to be comptaible with windows 32 bit systems?

Thanks  :)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2016, 07:42:43 pm »

Hey i was wondering if DF is going to be comptaible with windows 32 bit systems?

Greenify.

That's incredibly unlikely. You can still download the 0.43.04 version, which is 32-bit, but maintaining two bitnesses would be rather difficult, not to mention that by now 32-bit operating systems are very obsolete.
Even
if one was to be maintained, soon it would be useless as the code gets more and more complex, and so the game would grind to halt.

Edit: as ShimmerFairy says below, it is still available for download.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:49:57 pm by RoaryStar »

ShimmerFairy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2016, 07:45:32 pm »

It already is; if you can't find it, click on "all versions" on the home page. But I don't expect it to be supported for too much longer, myself; 32-bit is a bit of a fossil by now, methinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:17 pm »

If Toady drops 32-bit compatibility, I will be saddragon.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2016, 09:11:19 pm »

-Will there be artifact instruments? Something like the Ocarina of Time from Zelda, for example.

Speaking of this, will artforms be able to have artifact/magical properties?
I'm thinking of someone going into a mood and coming out with a song/dance/poem that causes weird things to happen to people who perform or witness it, or maybe certain wizards using songs or poems in their spells.

I've seen in images of the magic system that in order to cast certain spells you have to sing in a certain way or with certain items, so it's possible that artforms will be incorporated in the final release.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »

He's looking to have it produce generated civs from scratch at high enough settings, with nothing we might recognize necessarily even showing up.
Thanks. But that's not what my question was about.
I guess I should have expanded, if a system can insert Kleer'G tree people and Mahunis town builders into working civs then I would expect it to be possible for a setting a bit more mythical than vanilla but not full blown crazylegendland to have things like a clan of giants that affiliated itself with the dwarves to help stem the onslaught of a goblin civ that had ethics which kept them from killing each other and led to a mutual defense alliance with the humans, producing an unstoppable olive drab horde sweeping settlement after settlement, not even the high elf army with their squadron of War Rocs were able to keep them at bay long, perhaps had they not been so haughty regarding the insistence of dwarves on having charcoal for steel production, they might have been able to help quell the onslaught before it conquered half the world.

I hear there are still a few unenslaved elves hiding in a cave somewhere hoping to wait out the scourge of commerce and murder... myself, I look forward to seeing the shock on those pink and green faces when they see our Giant Batallions stomping along in the midst of a horde of beards and axes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2016, 04:15:20 am »

Max, really thanks. I do appreciate the speculation and awesome imagery, but, there's a reason I asked in lime green. It's something Toady hasn't mentioned yet (unless my obssessive scouring of his every online word has somehow missed a spot), which, as you say, seems like a reasonable function based on what we know right now, and I'd like to know what he thinks.

I'm patient, end of the month is only a couple of weeks away.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2016, 11:13:07 am »

True, probably best to hope Toady drops an answer.

Until then, that's two weeks for us to engage in wild mass guessing. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 13, 2016, 11:42:52 am »

Yeah, I'm mostly going off of the stuff from the procedural generation talk and whatnot you could see in the screenshots to extrapolate out how different things could play out with it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 13, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »

Until then, that's two weeks for us to engage in wild mass guessing. o3o
Don't worry, there will be more things to guess wildly about by then!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2016, 02:08:46 pm »

Actually dragonfire is hot enough to boil adamantine.
Realistically dragonfire is hot enough to start nuclear fusion and would probably turn the planet into a tiny star. At least until it ran out of fuel because there's not nearly enough easily fusable materials on Earth or an Earth-like planet to support being a star for very long. Toady went really overboard on the mythical materials. Adamantine pretty much breaking the laws of physics with how rigid and sharp it is, slade being denser than the core of the sun, and dragonfire being hotter than the surface of the sun (though not the core of the sun that's still far hotter).

Dragonfire is a bit over 22,000 °Celsius (or Kelvin). While that is indeed absurdly hot (over 3x hotter than the effective temperature of the Sun's photosphere, and more than hot enough to convert any real matter to plasma), it's not nearly hot enough to cause self-sustaining fusion. It's not even hot enough to cause fusion if you assume the dragon is breathing fire constantly. Fusion temperatures are more like millions of Kelvin. The Sun's core is modeled as being roughly 16 million K, and proton-proton fusion is still so slow that the core material produces about as much power per volume as a compost heap. Fusion stops entirely once you move out past 30% of the Sun's radius, and at that point the temperature is still around 7 million K.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:58 pm »

So, if you combined a dragon with a magma forge AND a compost heap, would we get a dwarven fusion reactor? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 211