Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412327 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1935 on: June 16, 2017, 06:37:37 pm »

Kobolds ambush too? Never seen that. Ok. That's what I meant then.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »

So... This means we can put animals to pull carts now?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:13:19 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »

Kobolds ambush too? Never seen that. Ok. That's what I meant then.

Allegedly they can, and it's also allegedly based on whether they steal enough..

Since you'd have to basically have to bait them into it, I've never seen it occur.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Orangefriedegg

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Shookith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: June 16, 2017, 10:10:35 pm »

When will plant like the willow actually be dioecious?(Gendered plants)
Yes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: June 16, 2017, 10:25:47 pm »

Don't think plants are part of this next update. If that's what it's meant to be then the answer will almost certainly be 'One day. No timeline'. When development focusses again on shrubs no doubt.

If it's causing issues for some reason, report it to the bug tracker.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: June 17, 2017, 06:18:51 am »

The development page mentioned turning off magic in the world, what would happen if you turn off magic while playing as a creature that depends on magic to survive? Do you get a special death message, or possibly something mocking you for it?

Also, hello, Bay12 forums!
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: June 17, 2017, 06:25:10 am »

Would this actually be noticeable outside a few cases like ginkgo biloba?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: June 17, 2017, 07:02:22 am »

"Your figmental constitution is no match for the hard truths of reality. You have been struck down."

Welcome to the forums.  :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:33 am »

The development page mentioned turning off magic in the world, what would happen if you turn off magic while playing as a creature that depends on magic to survive? Do you get a special death message, or possibly something mocking you for it?

They're settings for worldgen, so that wouldn't happen.

In the wider sense there will apparently be ways to change the world by doing certain things (throwing artifact rings into volcanos, killing gods and other such stuff probably) that will alter the fabric of reality and could result in magic being lost from the world (and so on).

Would be a shame if such a major world changing event was met with 'a mocking message'. Doubt it's been thought through in that much detail yet though.

Also promised are world ending apocalypse disasters in certain circumstances.
'World ended. Have a nice day!'.

Toady mentioned recently (while talking about mages causing total destruction of your fortress after some misguided experiments) that 'death by text message' isn't the way he wants it to be. Kill everyone, sure, but make sure the player has Fun watching everything go to hell.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:53:34 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: June 17, 2017, 10:15:55 am »

Elaborating on Shonai_Dweller's response: Turning off magic during world gen will cause the kind of creature you intended to play never to have existed, and so not being available for adventurer selection (In the same way that a fully mundane setting won't allow you to play a fortress as dwarves, since they are dependent on the existence of cavern farming for their existence).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: June 17, 2017, 01:19:09 pm »

So... This means we can put animals to pull carts now?

Actually i think Toady meant trading wagons quite specifically, but the function that was created allows civs to choose a class of animal to pull rather than randomly choosing whatever animal is to hand with the relevant tags

The dev post explains it pretty ok actually, most of these features seem to be raw optimisable in that if you want to have horse drawn trade wagons (a big animal with nice capacity), you can just throw horses up. Or if you want to have horses in the wild roaming the grasslands (or not at all) just twiddle the functions, set horses to high priority and everyone will trot around on them when they find them or keep a little stable of them it sounds like without making them appear out of thin air with 'domestic' which is a bit of a trope when horses outnumber every other living thing.

I can see where that function is useful toady.

Edit - *ah i see i could just set the [SEMI-SAPIENT] or [EVIL] tag instead for the EVIL civilisation's creatures and minions, re-reading the devlog post. ill have to rethink a question or let it lie for a little bit.

Do all sites have animal containment pits/areas toady? Or is that a exclusive feature to the kobold caves

Most certainly will be setting trolls to be limited stock in order to make goblin sites lag free in my own personal raw modifications, not that they'd be hard to replace from underground populations.

Would this actually be noticeable outside a few cases like ginkgo biloba?

You chop the tree mimic with the copper axe! it is a gelding strike!
The tree mimic reawakens from its dormancy
The tree mimic flies into a fit of rage!

Urist woodcutter's head collapses by the force of tree mimic's hand punch
Urist woodcutter has been struck down

Sorry to drag my post on, but to add onto patrik's point, if magical creatures are introduced/reintroduced via sufficient magic settings for them to exist by inversely adding magic to the world, id imagine they'd probably be as rare as when they could have been dying out in the other scenario. Variable between different creatures because right now it is possible to manipulate creature populations by ensuring they are safe to breed on your embark, such as stopping yeti's going extinct despite having very low numbers etc by forced breeding them in captivity for your own purposes (yeti fur is nice and insulating, besides being menacing animals) or do-gooder conservation work to keep them alive in the wild.

Here's to a plague of rabid flesh hungering unicorns sweeping across the land in a mass rampage because of fast reproductive cycles and a clumsy dwarf dropping a artifact glass orb or some other reason. Ill probably bet it was the elves fault for letting it get out of hand.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:04:00 pm by FantasticDorf »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1946 on: June 17, 2017, 01:55:35 pm »

Gonna go ahead and ask a question regarding the new entity pet stuff - will it mean it'd be possible to add sentient beings to always appear with a particular civ? I.e a modded civ always having tigermen citizens in it.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: June 17, 2017, 02:07:02 pm »

Gonna go ahead and ask a question regarding the new entity pet stuff - will it mean it'd be possible to add sentient beings to always appear with a particular civ? I.e a modded civ always having tigermen citizens in it.

I went downstairs, made myself a cup of tea, and thought to myself it's probably the case that beak dogs & trolls etc will be called out by the name token directly because its 10 times more simple than defining the otherwise loose & broad animal classes. And if both of them are 'limited supply' domestic, when the civ dies, without corresponding biomes all the beak dogs die out too.

Quote from: toady's recent devlog
you can compel an entity to use creatures that either belong to a list of classes (classes can also be excluded), or by their token

Or to get a free environment-independent starting population as with the current domestic creatures. (wondering if that implies that the starting population of creatures can also be exterminated without being able to redeem them)

Mind blowing possibilities for modding really if that has any hint of truth and it's really gloves off for setting whatever token you want to reference from. A civ with really weird settings like all their animals are manditory female members of a specific kind of animal, fully possible without DFhack. Maybe i read too much into it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:11:47 pm by FantasticDorf »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: June 17, 2017, 02:10:41 pm »

I'd assume that the list of tokens that are usable this way is limited.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: June 17, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »

Probably the most realistic outcome, but its still useful.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 211