Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411315 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1950 on: June 17, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »

It would be immensely useful if just to have modded civs that always specific types of animals regardless of their rarity - it makes me really excited for whenever the update comes out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: June 17, 2017, 05:31:51 pm »

It would be immensely useful if just to have modded civs that always specific types of animals regardless of their rarity - it makes me really excited for whenever the update comes out.

Rather, it will be, since that's what's happening.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: June 18, 2017, 12:36:48 am »

Agreed. Its exactly what ive always wanted.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: June 18, 2017, 11:05:21 am »

I can definitely see there being uses for this, yeah. I wonder what happens if you tell a civ to use its own species as a pack animal...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1954 on: June 18, 2017, 11:28:46 am »

I can definitely see there being uses for this, yeah. I wonder what happens if you tell a civ to use its own species as a pack animal...
That gives me ideas.

First thing I do when the update hits is put elves as pack animals, mounts and wagon pullers and see what happens.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: June 18, 2017, 01:26:23 pm »

Elves as pets won't really mess with things too much unless you're playing elves, it's when the fort civilians are pets that things break down. Being intelligent but unable to speak also breaks citizens, as I know from experience with Kobold Kamp.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: June 18, 2017, 01:41:53 pm »

I don't think this system will make owning intelligent creatures any easier but i do think that there will be cases where creatures without [PET] or other compatible tags somehow breaking the experience could slip through.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: June 20, 2017, 05:58:42 pm »

A while ago, fotf reply? Interview? Sorry I forget exactly when, you mentioned that you'd be looking into optimizing sites in adventurer during this release.
Is that still on the schedule? Kobold sites sound like lots of fun, but not if they run at the current speed of some of the bigger dark fortress/city sites.

(Found it, was way back in August 2016 report - haven't seen it mentioned since. But quite hopeful...)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:10:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: June 20, 2017, 06:14:21 pm »

A while ago, fotf reply? Interview? Sorry I forget exactly when, you mentioned that you'd be looking into optimizing sites in adventurer during this release.
Is that still on the schedule? Kobold sites sound like lots of fun, but not if they run at the current speed of some of the bigger dark fortress/city sites.

Something tells me it won't be as much of a problem as with forts and dark forts because kobolds are kinda bad at surviving, plus their caps for population growth are a lot lower.

However, if it does become a problem, I do fear it might be farther in the future. If this was a certain other (non-Toady) game I've had experience with, I'd assume it wasn't even tested, let alone checked for problems.

In this case though, the devlog implies he at least considers it to work under normal circumstances in adventurer mode, so my current guess is Toady won't encounter this issue (which is good for kobold caves, but means it likely won't be fixed) unless some change to the sites allows it to reliably repopulate up to what the entity settings allow, which might push local population to borderline lag levels.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: June 20, 2017, 09:02:20 pm »

Yeah, but when he mentioned it, it was regarding large site lag in general (in adventurer). New update will also involve us wandering around dark fortresses in search of artifacts.

-- Edit. Oh, there it is. August 2016 report:
Then we'll start working on how site maps relate to artifact storage and display, the site maps that are incomplete (like kobold caves), as well as site lag.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:08:24 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:08 pm »

That...welp, there goes my confidence that it won't be a problem. I'm having flashbacks to my days as a Cata contributor now. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 20, 2017, 10:09:28 pm »

Are kobolds poison immune?

Since they don't have containers, I imagine it must be great Fun trying to get the poison from spider to trap. Or maybe trained spiders and snakes do it by themselves...?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 20, 2017, 11:05:48 pm »

I would speculate that it's going to abstracted away in the same manner as blowdarts being poisoned even for subterranean animal people that have even less of the infrastructure to get poison on darts than kobolds.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

RobotFighter7

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 21, 2017, 03:51:42 am »

When potions are implemented, are there any plans for adding different ways to apply them and other syndrome-causing substances beyond drinking from a container or being struck by a coated weapon?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:37 am »

When potions are implemented, are there any plans for adding different ways to apply them and other syndrome-causing substances beyond drinking from a container or being struck by a coated weapon?
You mean poisons, right?
Potions are a fair way off yet.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 211