Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1410841 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1965 on: June 21, 2017, 07:13:02 am »

Technically gnomeblight and harmful reagents are possibly applicable, but that matters on exactly how the coating system works and whether there would be one in the game (nothing has been explicitly said about a coating system, it could be a entity raw for abstract kobold items but some degree of transparency on how to set up the raws would be a treat from toady.)

Adamantine swords for example are strong enough to withstand being lit on fire with fire snake extract for instance because of heat resistances, though you'll probably want to make the dwarf wear gloves or something most certainly like how people try to 'capture' the dust of forgotten beasts then have dwarves die trying to pick it up.

Run around on the battlefield setting elves on fire, watching their rags & flimsy wooden weapons burn, then slice through some solid metal titans and forgotten beasts like butter with the heat of the blade melting them.

Even if they are not particularly a fixture in normal fortress gameplay, will you be able to coat weapons in Arena mode with a liquid of your choice?

I would speculate that it's going to abstracted away in the same manner as blowdarts being poisoned even for subterranean animal people that have even less of the infrastructure to get poison on darts than kobolds.

Poison class (or just coincidentally different classes of animal) animals, subterranean preferences and subterranean locked enviroment in a kobold sized set of mini-civ's, doesn't sound awfully hard to prop up with the upcoming changes with some framework to establish in the law & property arc how to using the existing set of subterreanean creature entity raws.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:45:12 am by FantasticDorf »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: June 21, 2017, 11:33:09 am »

I would speculate that it's going to abstracted away in the same manner as blowdarts being poisoned even for subterranean animal people that have even less of the infrastructure to get poison on darts than kobolds.

Poison class (or just coincidentally different classes of animal) animals, subterranean preferences and subterranean locked enviroment in a kobold sized set of mini-civ's, doesn't sound awfully hard to prop up with the upcoming changes with some framework to establish in the law & property arc how to using the existing set of subterreanean creature entity raws.

Doesn't sound hard you say. You know, like moving a critter (indeed, a giant one) from one now-obsolete creature file to another?

I don't see any compelling evidence that Toady's going to have any real reason to make these pending changes (specifically, Shonai's question about being able to APPLY extracts) accessible fort-side.

EDIT: Pre-emptive clarification before Putnam anyone misreads and assumes I'm being pessimistic about the wrong thing.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:36:43 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: June 21, 2017, 12:53:49 pm »

Well that depends largely on the layout and whether [CLASS] animals are going to remain in their own RAW files as they are or be grouped together.

It doesn't seem like class animals will have any enviromental tags associated, so its literally anything with [POISON] from within the existing underground cavern raws that matches up. There's always copy & paste, and still yet plenty of time for development with the estimated overshooting of the July 1 year mark.

Unless we've misunderstood how the class is applied and POISON refers to a animal material reaction like [MILK] (volume of units etc) found in cows and the class merely references any creatures that have it from the relevant environment. [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] already exists for interactions with syndrome code but i guess that's not that much special.

Yeah there's no explicit stated but it would be entirely possible optimistically because toady's been itching to use the alchemical (or alternatively chemistry) skill for ages, and we already do have the extracts available to us courtesy of imported materials with numerous effects.

Playing a kobold civilisation (or adventurer) is probably going to be strange, given you could probably import vermin, giant cave spiders & the like, run around the cave picking up artifacts and dropping them there and stabbing giants using poisoned daggers and random loot stashed about the cave. (since a entity not convinced about stealing doesn't mind you rustling through the stash)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:57:05 pm by FantasticDorf »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: June 21, 2017, 06:36:59 pm »

Why would creatures of a certain CREATURE_CLASS be grouped together into one file when CREATURE_CLASSes are arbitrary and a single creature can have any amount? CREATURE_CLASS is not a new feature.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »

The development page mentioned turning off magic in the world, what would happen if you turn off magic while playing as a creature that depends on magic to survive? Do you get a special death message, or possibly something mocking you for it?

Also, hello, Bay12 forums!
They're settings for worldgen, so that wouldn't happen.

In the wider sense there will apparently be ways to change the world by doing certain things (throwing artifact rings into volcanos, killing gods and other such stuff probably) that will alter the fabric of reality and could result in magic being lost from the world (and so on).

Would be a shame if such a major world changing event was met with 'a mocking message'. Doubt it's been thought through in that much detail yet though.

I meant something like: You get a dramatic message. You die. Then the death message changes to something like "That was suicidal, wasn't it?" or something.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: June 21, 2017, 11:31:37 pm »

What's important is that magic is a worldgen option. Turning off magic while playing as a creature that depends on magic makes about as much sense as turning off bogeymen while playing as one: you can't actually do it, since bogeymen are baked into the world at generation

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: June 21, 2017, 11:41:07 pm »

Though the state of how magic works can change during the game, as evidenced by the most recent threetoe story.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:48 am »

Why would creatures of a certain CREATURE_CLASS be grouped together into one file when CREATURE_CLASSes are arbitrary and a single creature can have any amount? CREATURE_CLASS is not a new feature.

We don't know how its implemented just yet, that 'class' is just syndrome code right now and probably the closest thing to a identifier we already have. It could take any shape of a RAW right now, rather than just being applied like we already have it.

Most of the creatures are already grouped up outside of biomes, for example the RAW files of creature-birds and creature-reptiles are already sorted into these categories. If you were to say add a few more onto that such as creature-mammal & creature-poison then you've pretty much sorted all the creatures out via 1 kind of family genus and don't need to commit to such strenuous biome profiling unless its nessecary.

Anything that falls far from the tree in being abstract (say if there isn't any more non-obvious 'class families' relevant) then they can just stay where they are.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: June 22, 2017, 02:53:35 pm »

We don't know how its implemented just yet, that 'class' is just syndrome code right now and probably the closest thing to a identifier we already have. It could take any shape of a RAW right now, rather than just being applied like we already have it.

No, it's definitely CREATURE_CLASS being referred to, a token that already exists and is already capable of having any arbitrary string placed within with each caste being able to have an arbitrary amount of CREATURE_CLASSes. I use it for syndromes and DFHacky stuff.

vvAve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: June 22, 2017, 03:04:14 pm »

Is it possible to add game rules (like set of professions and skills) and site generation to moddable RAW-s? If it is, can we expect it some when in the future?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: June 24, 2017, 02:29:21 am »

Is it possible to add game rules (like set of professions and skills) and site generation to moddable RAW-s? If it is, can we expect it some when in the future?

Sounds (rather) Good, No Timeline. Those raws are not priority yet, so we won't know when are they going to be available. Remember that this Future of the Fortress thread is for questions and concerns regarding the immediately next release (in this case: sending dwarven squads to other sites, artifact retrieval, crude spies and kobold caves, among other small things).
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 24, 2017, 11:42:56 am »

1. Will there be a setting for artifact abundance during worldgen?

2. Will there, in the future, exist a need to properly identify an artifact? Right now, everyone is able to immediately recognize an artifact upon seeing it, which usually doesn't make much sense. I'd imagine there'd be several ways to identify an artifact - either someone in your fort has outright seen it before(and is aware of what it is), has heard/read about it somewhere(with varying degrees of certainty), etc. and if you have a suspicion that an item you posses might be an artifact, you could send out a squad of scholars to scour nearby libraries for more info. Even if you know what the artifact is called, you might not know other info, such as origin, magical properties, etc. This could create very interesting situations, for example purchasing a cheap, weird bone crown from a caravan and it turning out to be an ancient artifact that turns the wearer into an extremely powerful lich, causing much fun in the fortress.

3. How much info about the world's creation myth and magic would your average adventurer have access to initially? How about your fort?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 24, 2017, 09:51:47 pm »

The fire snake extract+sword thing makes me wonder when other people will encounter the hilarity I found when I set blood thorn fixed temp to ~12k urists and discovered upon firing the bolts into goblins that the steamy bursts of boiling blood appeared to emanate from my location rather than the target they were stuck into.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 24, 2017, 10:16:00 pm »

The fire snake extract+sword thing makes me wonder when other people will encounter the hilarity I found when I set blood thorn fixed temp to ~12k urists and discovered upon firing the bolts into goblins that the steamy bursts of boiling blood appeared to emanate from my location rather than the target they were stuck into.
Instant matter transmission for boiling blood. That's the Armokiest thing I've ever heard.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 25, 2017, 09:42:51 am »

Instant matter transmission for boiling blood. That's the Armokiest thing I've ever heard.
I don't think it was the goblins' blood.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 211