Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406948 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1980 on: June 25, 2017, 10:32:30 am »

3. How much info about the world's creation myth and magic would your average adventurer have access to initially? How about your fort?

It probably would be an advanced worldgen setting to hide it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1981 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »

This probably has been asked before, but will sieges and megabeasts be eventually able to path faster to the player's fort? It's somewhat annoying to have to go through five years without a single siege or megabeast attack.

Alternatively, would an arena mode that is moreso for fort mode testing be possible, with the ability to call sieges/ambushes from any available civ, or a megabeast attack? It'd be really handy for modders.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 25, 2017, 02:07:16 pm »

That's right up there with the stress system on my list of broken features, yeah.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 25, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »

Under the new predefined pet function that now exists, what happens were I to add in an intelligent creature as an environment independent 'pet' of a civilization started by another type of creature. How well would this work as a workaround for the inability to define a multi-species civilization in the raws? Presumably things work generally as they do with trolls at the moment, no historical figures would be automatically generated but those promoted during play would be able to take up positions (though trolls will never because they cannot speak, so not a perfect analogy).

Another question is what happens if I define a creature in an entity file to be the pet *of* itself. Does this cause everything to crash, or do we end up with two populations, one of which is the pet population and the other the citizen population.  I ask not merely out of curiosity but because having a second pet population of the main creature sounds like a good way to prevent population replacement of dark fortresses by stolen children.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 25, 2017, 04:37:34 pm »

This probably has been asked before, but will sieges and megabeasts be eventually able to path faster to the player's fort? It's somewhat annoying to have to go through five years without a single siege or megabeast attack.
It takes less than a week for an 'army' to cross an entire medium sized world from point to point. I don't think their speed is the issue. The reason you don't get invaded soon is the population and wealth triggers. Take a look at the wiki. It's literally just a matter of changing the number 3 to the number 1. Anyone can do it. Even works mid-save.  Not something that needs "fixing". Making sieges come sooner, isn't fun for some people so we have a choice.

A possible  improvement might be adding an option for when sieges come in advanced worldgen like the one we have for titans. That might make the system clearer.

But then, this isn't the suggestion board.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:42:52 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 25, 2017, 04:47:36 pm »

It takes less than a week for an 'army' to cross an entire medium sized world from point to point. I don't think their speed is the issue. The reason you don't get invaded soon is the population and wealth triggers. Take a look at the wiki. It's literally just a matter of changing the number 3 to the number 1. Anyone can do it. Even works mid-save.  Not something that needs "fixing". Making sieges come sooner, isn't fun for some people so we have a choice.

A possible  improvement might be adding an option for when sieges come in advanced worldgen like the one we have for titans. That might make the system clearer.

But then, this isn't the suggestion board.

Your math is wrong. I've had forts go for multiple years after hitting all triggers without seeing even thieves, let alone sieges. Even when parked dangerously close to goblin sites.

Something is absolutely unbalanced with invaders.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 25, 2017, 05:23:31 pm »

I was referring to the speed it takes for sieges to become possible (thieves have been broken for ages) in response to the question. 80% of the 'I've got no goblins' posts on this forum are a result of having the triggers set too high and not realizing it.

There are other reasons they don't come of course. That's not something that can be just balanced simply though without making player fortresses more 'special' than they already are. Artifact claims should hopefully help increase sieges a little (at least armies will be able to come from further away sites). Society, politics, economy, etc will all add reasons for you to be attacked. It's just so far away right now.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 25, 2017, 05:50:27 pm »

I was referring to the speed it takes for sieges to become possible (thieves have been broken for ages) in response to the question. 80% of the 'I've got no goblins' posts on this forum are a result of having the triggers set too high and not realizing it.

Is that so?

Your answer seemed to be pretty clearly (yet inaccurately) addressing the actual question, which was how slow sieges are. 5 years is absolutely enough time to go beyond the siege triggers.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 25, 2017, 07:51:41 pm »

I don't know why people are so obsessed with huge sieges coming every year, there are more things to do in the game.

It does not make sense, your fortress is no more special than the other fortresses in the world.
Why should you get a full 100 man siege every year? Maybe make all the megabeasts and were beasts attack only the player fortresses so that you guys have more things to kill.

Dwarf fortress is not a tower defence game, it is a fortress/town building game (until later versions where it gets strategy elements added with attacking other sites).
It's nice not having to deal with huge sieges every year part of it being it just doesn't make sense for the goblins to single out your fortress and send everything they got only to you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 25, 2017, 09:24:36 pm »

The fire snake extract+sword thing makes me wonder when other people will encounter the hilarity I found when I set blood thorn fixed temp to ~12k urists and discovered upon firing the bolts into goblins that the steamy bursts of boiling blood appeared to emanate from my location rather than the target they were stuck into.
Instant matter transmission for boiling blood. That's the Armokiest thing I've ever heard.
I don't think it was the goblins' blood.
It was their blood, that much I can be sure of.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 25, 2017, 09:34:53 pm »

I don't know why people are so obsessed with huge sieges coming every year, there are more things to do in the game.

Because it's a part of the game that doesn't even remotely work anymore. Protip: disabling siegers entirely if you don't want them is a lot easier than getting invaders to hurry their asses up and invade you when the feature's broken. You disliking the feature is not relevant to the problem of the feature being broken.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:37 pm »

Because it's a part of the game that doesn't even remotely work anymore. Protip: disabling siegers entirely if you don't want them is a lot easier than getting invaders to hurry their asses up and invade you when the feature's broken. You disliking the feature is not relevant to the problem of the feature being broken.
But, what about it is broken? Boring, yeah, sure. But without adding artificial 'player fortress magnets' will stay that way until the game provides more reasons for critters to come and attack you (oh, like artifacts. And sliders. And disputes over land. Hmm. It's almost as if the game's actively being developed.)

I just put the triggers down a bit and embark near goblins right now. Works pretty much every time.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:05 pm »

Thing is, it used to be that goblins would show up within a reasonable time frame without modding. It's like the happiness system. Yes, it technically works, but it's balanced so poorly that you don't need to worry about invaders anymore.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 25, 2017, 10:10:51 pm »

Thing is, it used to be that goblins would show up within a reasonable time frame without modding. It's like the happiness system. Yes, it technically works, but it's balanced so poorly that you don't need to worry about invaders anymore.
They would appear out of thin air when required. But you already knew that.

Would sure be nice to have siege triggers in the regular options though (or even just advanced worldgen - weird that it's limited to titans only). Would make it easier for new folk to see what's up. Does the Starter Pack feature this yet? Seems like it's even easier than disabling aquifers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:28:58 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 25, 2017, 10:45:19 pm »

I never said I dislike sieges, just that I'm happy with not having them every year.

Like Shonai_Dweller said, they used to appear out of thin air where as now they are real armies from real populations.
The feature is not broken at all, you seem to not understand how it works.
I think you are looking for the wrong game here, Toady will most likely never re-introduce those goblin armies that came out of nowhere just so there is something to siege your fort and I'm glad for it.

You know, you can download the older version where sieges weren't "broken". I remember 0.28.40d used to have armies that showed up every year which didn't make too much sense but there you go, go nuts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:47:11 pm by bluephoenix »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 211