Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406758 times)

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2070 on: July 07, 2017, 10:49:01 pm »

Toady mentioned in last week's reply that civs declare war on your civ as a whole in retaliation for being raided, as opposed to specifically sending counter-attacks to the raiders site.

I guess the small force is just a result of it being a first attack or whatever it is makes goblins only send a small number of troops at first in the current version (wealth? population? Goblin sense of fair play? something like that probably).

Oh, and another question:
What season will dwarves attack in?
Any season? Just Autumn? Any chance to see a seperation of 'friendly merchant visit' and 'gonna kill ya all' active seasons?

I believe you won't ever receive friendly merchant visits from potentially antagonistic dwarven civilizations, as they don't trade with you in the first place (at least from my limited experience in current vanilla DF). I might be mistaken, but siege seasons get increasingly disrespected as the enmity between civs grows bigger. I've had goblins attacking me during summer and the beginning of autumn all the same, so long as it's not the first wave. I imagine enemy dwarven raids probably work like goblin and kobold ambushes, sent in a yearlong basis.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 07, 2017, 11:24:15 pm »

Come Autumn, you'll get merchants from your own civ and a siege from the enemy dwarf civ. Will be messy, but very predictable. Would be nice if active_season could be set separately for merchant visits and sieges (with the option to set sieges to act like tower sieges). Goblins are active all year round (they have active_season spring, summer, autumn and winter - dwarves have autumn, humans have summer, elves have spring, zombies are magic).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:16:57 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 08, 2017, 05:27:20 am »

Dwarves don't have vanilla siege triggers so it seems that they'd turn up at any time in the autumn regardless (it be interesting to add some later and see if other conflicts such as artifact disputes could trigger a dwarf civil war) like the latest devlog shows.

The final challenge for a civ who has too much time on their hands and not enough boatmurdered shenanigans, forget goblinite, obtain the most precious dwarfite from your own kind who are also quite OP in terms of martial stances, steel etc.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 08, 2017, 05:51:27 am »

Dwarves don't have vanilla siege triggers so it seems that they'd turn up at any time in the autumn regardless (it be interesting to add some later and see if other conflicts such as artifact disputes could trigger a dwarf civil war) like the latest devlog shows.

The final challenge for a civ who has too much time on their hands and not enough boatmurdered shenanigans, forget goblinite, obtain the most precious dwarfite from your own kind who are also quite OP in terms of martial stances, steel etc.
As Toady just said, provoking other civs actually bypasses all the siege triggers anyhow. Sounds like lots of Fun!
The sight of gleaming steel swarming over the horizon really is Fun when you're still scrambling for copper...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:53:04 am by Shonai_Dweller »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 09, 2017, 01:46:38 am »

Will kobold adventurers be fixed next release? All the caves are empty and the kobolds in camps attack me.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 09, 2017, 02:16:27 am »

Will kobold adventurers be fixed next release? All the caves are empty and the kobolds in camps attack me.
Since the point of the past couple of month's work is to make kobold caves, then, yeah, kobold caves will be 'fixed'.
Weren't kobold adventurers removed from the last release? With no playable races adventurer stops being an option for some reason.
So, I guess it's just your mod which is broken.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 09, 2017, 02:25:20 am »

Since the point of the past couple of month's work is to make kobold caves, then, yeah, kobold caves will be 'fixed'.
Weren't kobold adventurers removed from the last release? With no playable races adventurer stops being an option for some reason.

Pretty sure just adding [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] won't break anything.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 09, 2017, 02:44:16 am »

Pretty sure just adding [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] won't break anything.
Yes. So what was your question? Other Kobolds attack you when you mod them to be playable as adventurers?

With no context, "Kobolds are broken, fix them!" is likely to receive a reply of 'no they're not' after you wait all month for an answer.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 09, 2017, 03:10:33 am »

Yes. So what was your question? Other Kobolds attack you when you mod them to be playable as adventurers?

Exactly.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 09, 2017, 03:12:00 am »

Well, it's not a bug if you have to mod to get it.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 09, 2017, 03:14:03 am »

Well, it's not a bug if you have to mod to get it.

Well, do kobold adventurers have a chance to be re-added when caves are revised?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 09, 2017, 03:47:58 am »

No more new features in this release than what's already been shown on the blog. Now is the time for bug fixing and release comes right after that. If you're very lucky kobold adventurer features might come shortly after the next release, but I doubt it.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 09, 2017, 07:10:51 am »

No more new features in this release than what's already been shown on the blog. Now is the time for bug fixing and release comes right after that. If you're very lucky kobold adventurer features might come shortly after the next release, but I doubt it.

Might have to do more modding to un-break them then.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 09, 2017, 11:41:56 am »

As far as I'm aware of, both goblin and kobold bandits have the same issue if you make their civs playable. Note that with goblins, their regular civilians will still refer to goblin bandits as outlaws, and actual goblin SOLDIERS are prone to interrupting fast travel but otherwise act less hostile to adventurers from their civ.

The real problem with kobold adventurers I've found is that, even if (like in Adventurecraft) you do what what little CAN be done to make a population wander around the cave, they'll be soldiers that you can't recruit, because they prefer patrolling to actually settling down at the cave itself.

Toady's said he didn't do anything involving positions when he started work on ma. while I doubt he's aware of the "can't recruit soldiers" thing because that's outside the scope of what he's actually testing, that means good odds his fixes involve forcing the site to generate a population that actually exists.

Since he's making SOME way for caves to have a population actually INHABIT the site, that means there'll be kobolds that aren't "oscar mike" all the time, and therefore should be valid to recruit. 3:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 09, 2017, 10:03:10 pm »

As far as I'm aware of, both goblin and kobold bandits have the same issue if you make their civs playable. Note that with goblins, their regular civilians will still refer to goblin bandits as outlaws, and actual goblin SOLDIERS are prone to interrupting fast travel but otherwise act less hostile to adventurers from their civ.

The real problem with kobold adventurers I've found is that, even if (like in Adventurecraft) you do what what little CAN be done to make a population wander around the cave, they'll be soldiers that you can't recruit, because they prefer patrolling to actually settling down at the cave itself.

Toady's said he didn't do anything involving positions when he started work on ma. while I doubt he's aware of the "can't recruit soldiers" thing because that's outside the scope of what he's actually testing, that means good odds his fixes involve forcing the site to generate a population that actually exists.

Since he's making SOME way for caves to have a population actually INHABIT the site, that means there'll be kobolds that aren't "oscar mike" all the time, and therefore should be valid to recruit. 3:

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 211