Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411451 times)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2130 on: July 17, 2017, 06:03:44 pm »

I've had non-dwarfs join my fortress while it was retired.  This is, retire a fortress, do something else, unretire the fortress.  Notice non-dwarf citizens.  But like everyone else, I've never had non-dwarfs migrate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: July 18, 2017, 01:03:22 am »

Thats a specific exception because those non dwarves are not adventurers etc like in the worldgen settlements and live on site post petitioning with the same standing as your regular dwarves have i guess.

Makes you wonder if all those majority animalmen in settlements all being adventurers is partially a bug, in which case having animalmen take up specific fortress roles like the Kangaroo-man mayor in quite dated devlogs is still unresolved business until worldgen citizenship petitions are put in.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: July 18, 2017, 05:36:30 pm »

With stuff like secret identities and family members will our adventurer log eventually show more information about the npcs we know like job and family relations?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:45:20 am by Beag »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: July 18, 2017, 05:57:32 pm »

With stuff like secret identities and family members will our adventurer log eventually show more information about the people we know like job and family relations?
Adventurers don't have family members. And, unless they become lords, they don't really have a concept of 'job'. So, I'd say, yeah, one day when adventurers have families and jobs their profiles will probably have that information. One day. Nothing to do with the upcoming secret identities though.

Personally not sure I'd ever want to see "jobs" imposed on adventurers though. You should be free to play according to your abilities (or hilariously in opposition to them) as you like.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: July 18, 2017, 07:44:22 pm »

With stuff like secret identities and family members will our adventurer log eventually show more information about the people we know like job and family relations?
Adventurers don't have family members. And, unless they become lords, they don't really have a concept of 'job'. So, I'd say, yeah, one day when adventurers have families and jobs their profiles will probably have that information. One day. Nothing to do with the upcoming secret identities though.

Personally not sure I'd ever want to see "jobs" imposed on adventurers though. You should be free to play according to your abilities (or hilariously in opposition to them) as you like.
I meant the jobs of npcs the player knows.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: July 19, 2017, 10:02:46 am »

I meant the jobs of npcs the player knows.

I agree that it would be nice to have certain features from Legends Mode during gameplay, at least the less spoilery ones, but that would imply a UI overhaul and I'm more inclined to see features first, even if that means they look as messy and hard to decipher as they've been for the last 11 years.

Anyhow, for now we'll have to make do with pen and paper (or a notepad) to write about the most relevant NPCs we meet along the way.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: July 19, 2017, 07:01:09 pm »

On the matter of threetoe's marriage:

A) congratulations!

B) will we see marriage ceremonies like the one in his post in-game, either in world gen or maybe even in fortress mode? At least those of nobles and royalty?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: July 19, 2017, 09:00:47 pm »

A) congratulations!

B) will we see marriage ceremonies like the one in his post in-game, either in world gen or maybe even in fortress mode? At least those of nobles and royalty?

Short answer: they already exist, to a point. Whenever a rare in-game wedding happens, dwarves throw a regular party at a meeting zone.

Not-so-short one: the ones you're probably imagining will be implemented in both modes, they exist in the dev notes, as marriage not only works as a means for adventurers to continue their legacy and build a lasting clan, but also as a tool for politics and diplomacy if we're talking about nobility. Ceremonies themselves might have priests overseeing them, but nothing has been said specifically about this. Nonetheless, if Toady wanted to do it most of the framework is in place: dances, temples and partygoing.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: July 19, 2017, 09:57:41 pm »

A) congratulations!

Short answer: they already exist, to a point. Whenever a rare in-game wedding happens, dwarves throw a regular party at a meeting zone.

Not-so-short one: the ones you're probably imagining will be implemented in both modes, they exist in the dev notes, as marriage not only works as a means for adventurers to continue their legacy and build a lasting clan, but also as a tool for politics and diplomacy if we're talking about nobility. Ceremonies themselves might have priests overseeing them, but nothing has been said specifically about this. Nonetheless, if Toady wanted to do it most of the framework is in place: dances, temples and partygoing.
Do wedding parties still happen now? General parties were cut for the taverns release.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: July 20, 2017, 02:22:14 am »

I would refer you to reported bugs about dwarves not forming meaningful relationships as often (friends, marriages etc), some nessecary looking into is required on the topic Shonai. I personally haven't seen a traditional marriage in ages and im not even sure whether there are any "needs" triggers that are even working at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:30:45 am by FantasticDorf »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: July 20, 2017, 03:49:22 am »

Sure I know all about the socializing problems. Was just surprised the previous poster mentioned generic parties being thrown in the present tense. So basically no-one knows what dorfs do when they get married in the current version (because they almost never do)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: July 20, 2017, 04:08:55 am »

I've never seen a wedding party in DF (I did see "normal" parties in 0.40.X). Whenever they marry currently (after careful selection, nurturing, and not so gentle nudging by the overseer) a message pops up saying approximately "X and Y have married. Congratulations!". I cannot say for certain, but I think the simple party less message was present in 0.40.X as well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:57 am »

Now, do they not celebrate with a dance and a drink because it's not part of the game, or because you've got them locked up far from civilization in a 'honeymoon suite'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:10 am »

They're usually locked up in a pre nuptial suite in the middle of civilization (immediately converted into a honeymoon suite through the removal of the tavern zone) ;) However, I've had the very occasional case of non arranged weddings and haven't seen any difference.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: July 20, 2017, 11:48:36 pm »

1. Are there plans for entity tokens that would allow you to alter the extent to which entities interact with artifacts? Like, could we make it so they would only ask politely for artifacts, and never fight over them, or vice versa?

2. Will Kobold sites remain as they are now, just spawning in a single cave (although with an upgraded layout) or have the ability to found sites like the other civs?

3. Will Necromancers be able to hunt down artifacts and if so, how?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:51:03 am by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 211