Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1410868 times)

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2400 on: September 06, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »

1. In worlds with afterlives will there sometimes be ways for adventurers to return to the mortal world in some way? Maybe by possibly making a deal with a powerful entity?
2. If an adventurer gets possessed by an entity, for example a demon, if they are strong willed enough will they be able to share control of their body with the entity? Would they be able to talk with the entity and possibly be able come to a truce to share the body?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: September 06, 2017, 05:39:51 pm »

1. While reading one of ThreeToe's old stories, I was struck by the fact that the setting of one story seemed to have a named moon (Eros, if I recall correctly). Any chance of celestial bodies eventually being given their own unique names beyond just basics like "Sun" and "Moon" in worldgen, or perhaps even being capable of generating worlds with multiple suns or moons, etc.? It would certainly add depth to the lore of individual worlds in my opinion.
2. If in adventure mode your character becomes a threat to a major civilization (for example if he/she becomes a master criminal, night creature, evil sorceror, maybe they've just killed a few too many important people with a lack of reason for such, etc.), will it eventually be possible for NPC heroes to be issued quests to destroy you? Like, let's say, one day you're just minding your own business in your necromancer tower and then suddenly BOOM: an adventuring party armed with weapons shows up at your doorstep and tries to kill you? The idea of finding yourself being the villain of someone else's story is certainly something I find intriguing.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 05:43:20 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: September 06, 2017, 07:28:40 pm »

1. multiple moons has been mentioned as a possible thing, especially in the context of werebeast funniness involving multiple moon phases

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: September 07, 2017, 01:58:21 am »

If there is a tidal locked moon, that will certainly be fun

Hoshiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: September 07, 2017, 02:17:24 am »

Will it be possible for powerful magic / godly entities to appear in the world with a certain goal in mind ? For example, entity X has the ability to animate corpses like your average necromancer, has divine equipment, vulnerable to Y substances / metals... and has the goal to Rule the World, and since it is really powerful, it will actually be a world threat and invade. I realise it might not be very balanced (might lead to world being invaded and destroyed in 100 years) but then we can always re-generate worlds as we please. Could also have other goals like building the biggest city / wonder, killing a certain family (avenging spirit ?), counter another powerful entity (Entity X appears / wakes up to invade the world with an army of undead, Entity Y appears to fight it back), make a demigod child with some king / lord...
Would be really nice as it would give mature worlds a big shake, maybe destroy some part of it so in an adventure playthrough you could witness the event itself, or perhaps the aftermath where civilizations slowly rebuild...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: September 07, 2017, 03:28:21 am »

@Inarius: I think you confuse your celestial mechanics. A tidally locked moon would remain stationary over a particular location on the ground, but the phases would change as the planet rotates (and the locked moon with it). You'd have to have the moon stationary in one of the Lagrange points (I think there is one beyond the planet, in which case the moon would remain full permanently, but I don't know if it would be full as seen from all of the ground or only as seen from a certain spot [with the location that spot covers changing as the planet rotates]).

@Hoshiqua: Suggestions are better placed in the suggestion sub forum. If you look back to the latest FotF reply you'll find Toady refrained to respond to one of the points because it was too much of a suggestion.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: September 07, 2017, 03:54:35 am »

IGNORE THIS
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:13:33 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: September 07, 2017, 04:44:24 am »

Will there be something on the edge of the world in mythgen, based on the creation myth?
"Maybe".
Which I think is from last month, or perhaps the month before. I forget. Was in response to my question though, I think.

--edit Oh, found it:

Quote from: Shonai_Dweller
Come the mythgen release, do you think we'll get any details on what lies beyond the borders of our maps? For example, if some worlds are meant to be exactly what we see, perhaps floating on the back of a turtle?  While others are meant to be part of something bigger?

Probably?  I have various riffs on the turtle idea in the generator notes, but haven't done any of them in the generator yet.  We had some issues with having civs outside the main world that could send invaders without any ability to reply (which was sort of in a very early version), so the region-within-a-world model isn't as attractive now, even though it is in the list of default gen params.  It'll be especially weird when planar travel comes in and you can reply (if it makes sense) to planar invaders, but not to some barbarians that come in from the edge.  Though there could be room for a kind of infinite home plane as well, where it has to cope with the idea of civs going on and on forever, which is sort of interesting, but mushy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 04:56:13 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Waterline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: September 07, 2017, 09:20:41 am »

Just a quick note on behalf of being recruited into adventurer's party: in Mount and Blade Warband there is a modification that allows player to be enlisted in army, this means that you are just watching your lord party when it travels, fight when there is a fight and have access to city facilities when lord enters said city. Obviously, you can pause the travel anytime and ask for leave or separate at all.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: September 07, 2017, 09:25:54 am »

@Inarius: I think you confuse your celestial mechanics.

Oh, yes, you're right, sorry :)
Actually it was more the were-thing I missed than the celestial mechanics.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: September 07, 2017, 11:02:21 am »

1. multiple moons has been mentioned as a possible thing, especially in the context of werebeast funniness involving multiple moon phases

Oh god, that would be hilarious! XD
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:27 pm »

So few players either know about or use the ingame macro recording feature.  There is currently 1 major bug which prevents it from being fully utilized;

- If I play a macro to place 10 thrones and 10 tables, but only have 6 thrones, the macro stops completely instead of just bypassing that step and building all the remaining tables.  Can you say offhand how difficult of a fix this would be?
- On a related note, have you considered adding a 'free build' mode for the purpose of macro recording ingame?  Just a blank canvas where digging and building are instantaneous.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: September 07, 2017, 10:06:24 pm »

So few players either know about or use the ingame macro recording feature.  There is currently 1 major bug which prevents it from being fully utilized;

- If I play a macro to place 10 thrones and 10 tables, but only have 6 thrones, the macro stops completely instead of just bypassing that step and building all the remaining tables.  Can you say offhand how difficult of a fix this would be?
- On a related note, have you considered adding a 'free build' mode for the purpose of macro recording ingame?  Just a blank canvas where digging and building are instantaneous.

There's a world editor planned (appears in mythgen devnotes, although not sure how likely that is, at least in the first run). That'll let you design sites as you like, place histfigs etc and basically replicate whatever fantasy worlds you like.

Macro recorder is just recording a sequence of keypresses isn't it? That seems like it wouldn't be a quick fix but a new system altogether.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: September 08, 2017, 02:12:18 am »

Referring to the latest development report(09/07/2017):http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
I hope this interesting twist also means we'll get the means to give our questers more nuanced orders (should we want to avoid the interesting consequences of literally following the original (too brief) orders).

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: September 08, 2017, 01:24:29 pm »

Is there a chance these parties we send may find something unexpected in their way? (ambushes by enemies or wild animals, bar fights, getting lost,  etc)
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 211