Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413687 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2475 on: September 18, 2017, 06:42:38 pm »

Are there any ideas yet for how creation myths will function in worlds with little or no magic?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:12 pm »

Are there any ideas yet for how creation myths will function in worlds with little or no magic?

In truly magicless worlds, why not add something fixed like "this planet formed from asteroids a few billons of years ago"?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: September 18, 2017, 09:56:40 pm »

In truly magicless worlds, why not add something fixed like "this planet formed from asteroids a few billons of years ago"?
Because the creation myth forms the myths and legends that each race believes about their own creation. It won't be true in mundane worlds, but will be just as important.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: September 18, 2017, 10:02:27 pm »

Because the creation myth forms the myths and legends that each race believes about their own creation. It won't be true in mundane worlds, but will be just as important.

Oh. I thought it was something absolute.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: September 18, 2017, 10:12:22 pm »

Oh. I thought it was something absolute.
Mythgen directly effects everything in the world. It's not just background fluff. Mundane worlds, like our own, will feature civs whose ethics, values, legends, beliefs, laws, etc are based on their version of the myth. No magic, sure, but that never stopped religion having a massive impact on our world.

And interestingly, whenever Toady mentions this, he's always careful to say that the myth is "probably" not true. Not sure what that implies, but there's a good deal of fantasy literature that dwells on fantastical stuff suddenly happening to mundane worlds. The mind boggles.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:14:38 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:47 pm »

My main concern is just where worldgen would start in worlds where creation myths are (probably) false. Would there be a whole process of geology and evolution slowly shaping the world or would it just skip straight past the myth stage like it does now, or maybe something else entirely?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: September 18, 2017, 10:46:10 pm »

My main concern is just where worldgen would start in worlds where creation myths are (probably) false. Would there be a whole process of geology and evolution slowly shaping the world or would it just skip straight past the myth stage like it does now, or maybe something else entirely?
I expect magical geographic features are correctly tagged with a fantasy level so they don't happen at the most mundane point. Then it would just create the myth as always and start worldgen.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: September 19, 2017, 02:51:03 am »

I expect magical geographic features are correctly tagged with a fantasy level so they don't happen at the most mundane point. Then it would just create the myth as always and start worldgen.
Good/Evil is going to be replaced by something spherish with Myth&Magic, but apart from that a fully mundane world would probably go through essentially the same creation as now (without Good/Evil), but with a Myth generation background preamble (influencing history, as civs build on it).
Normal magic worlds would probably also go through essentially the current world gen process, but with Myth causing magic land forms to (dis)appear and possibly other magic effects to be added (at least as a replacement for Good/Evil). There's no reason to mess with the current geography process for any of this (adjust for the new stuff, yes, but not replace it). Whacky magic is different, but I'd expect the current geography logic to remain (even though the layers are replaced with something completely different), if for no other reason that there are so many other things that are more urgent to change that there probably isn't time for fixing what ain't urgently broken.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: September 19, 2017, 04:31:00 am »

Will night trolls ever come to abduct dwarves in your fortress?

I hope. That would be very fun, especially if you could send your own dwarves to rescue them.

Then, since they transform at the time of birth, if it's a woman, perform surgery to remove the night troll embryo.

OK, I have a couple questions about this.

1. is it the same for male abductees? as in do they transform when the night troll mother gives birth?

2. If their abducted again their will(it is an abduction right?) does that mean that the night troll has to force them for the first insemination as they have not transformed yet and are still unwilling?

I mainly ask because there was a big discussion about adding rape to DF in the sex suggestion from the suggestion forum but this makes it sound like rape is already in DF, if so then DF's night trolls remind me of the trolls from the Berserk manga...
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: September 19, 2017, 04:34:44 am »

Will night trolls ever come to abduct dwarves in your fortress?

I hope. That would be very fun, especially if you could send your own dwarves to rescue them.

Then, since they transform at the time of birth, if it's a woman, perform surgery to remove the night troll embryo.

1. is it the same for male abductees? as in do they transform when the night troll mother gives birth?

2. If their abducted again their will(it is an abduction right?) does that mean that the night troll has to force them for the first insemination as they have not transformed yet and are still unwilling?

I mainly ask because there was a big discussion about adding rape to DF in the sex suggestion from the suggestion forum but this makes it sound like rape is already in DF, if so then DF's night trolls remind me of the trolls from the Berserk manga...

Not enough !!SCIENCE!! has been done on this.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: September 19, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »

Who the hell suggested that and why?

Nevermind, don't tell me...

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:07 am »

I always imagined they were transformed into a night creature before mating. If the game code literally considers them non-troll until the birth that's probably just placeholder and the mechanics of night trolls will get fleshed out more later, maybe with the myth stuff.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:55 am »

I always imagined they were transformed into a night creature before mating. If the game code literally considers them non-troll until the birth that's probably just placeholder and the mechanics of night trolls will get fleshed out more later, maybe with the myth stuff.

You can actually find non-troll prisoners in their caves. And rescue them. Not sure if the consequences of a monster appearing in a town are calculated though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: September 21, 2017, 12:13:00 pm »

If you make a dwarf converter caste and they kidnap an elf and convert it into a dwarf spouse and it becomes pregnant I have no idea why there would be a step where it goes back and has the (already converted) dwarf spouse pregnancy start as an elf and only get converted from an elf baby to a dwarf spouse baby upon birth.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: September 21, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »

Never thought rape could become so difficult to understand and follow. I'm confused.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 211