Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406523 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2505 on: September 27, 2017, 05:05:35 pm »

Tad too many metal weapons on that elf, obviously a bowman and the sword is just for show.

- With a understandable risk of being targeted for 'accidents' because the player knows its a dummy profession (or least a generic concealable one) do peddlers have any specific purpose to fortress mode to dissasuade players from calling a militia onto them pre-emptively to out a suspected spy or releasing traps to arrange fatal accidents? (visitor looting is already quite popular)

- Are peddlers within worldgen as you might find wandering around more receptive to trading requests?

Its just that by sort of revealing that these less notable professions could be spies, you've unknowingly sealed their fate & doom as per dwarf fortress players acting on this information (though there's plenty of other professions to hide in) unless sportsmanship is the key and we allow the subterfuge to happen for emergent story development.

• Sort of like how players purposefully keep their value settings down to not attract sieges, and other metaknowledge strategies bourne out of knowing the system for the most part very well.
People will kill their visitors if they feel like it regardless of their professions. It's just one way people enjoy the game. All visitors can be spies, turn them off if you don't like them.

Personally I can't understand why you'd want to reduce spies, as the only purpose of the spy is to attract attention from various sites. Something most players complain about a lack of these days.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 28, 2017, 07:10:13 am »

As we'll be able to play as humans and other non-dwarven races in the future, I'd like to ask something about them. Will other races besides dwarves be able to live underground and dig as proficiently as dwarves? I don't think they should. Some big penalty to mining speed would do the trick and ensure players won't make underground fortresses with humans or whatever, and some health effect that is the opposite of cave adaptation (caused by entering underground after a long period of living above ground)  would be nice as well.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 28, 2017, 07:14:28 am »

How many of the nuggets remain?

What would happen if you sent two separate squads out after the same artifact, one right after the other? If the first squad successfully obtained the artifact, would the second squad try to violently or stealthily take it from the first squad in order to bring it back to the fortress themselves?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 28, 2017, 11:27:03 am »

1. So I found out you could make adventure mode sites in caverns. Is it possible that when they are linked with civs in the upcoming update (if I am understanding things correctly, that's on the list of changes), you could make an underground tavern that people will visit?

On another note, would visitors petition for residency in an adventurer-built site?

2. If NPCs can go on quests now, could they be assigned a quest to kill you if you are an enemy of the civ they are in?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:16:17 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 28, 2017, 12:37:34 pm »

If we'll eventually be able to control any civilization, does that mean the game might be renamed once dwarves are no longer the central focus? Not that I have a problem at all with the current name, just something I'm curious about.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: September 28, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »

If we'll eventually be able to control any civilization, does that mean the game might be renamed once dwarves are no longer the central focus? Not that I have a problem at all with the current name, just something I'm curious about.
Non-dwarf world's are coming right up and there's been no mention of Bay12 shooting themselves in the foot and throwing away a famous brand name. That just doesn't happen.

You might have noticed that there's no Armok either (except in delusional fanlore) but the game's still called Slaves to Armok II.

Not much in the way of slaves either yet...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 28, 2017, 03:51:45 pm »

So I found out you could make adventure mode sites in caverns. Is it possible that when they are linked with civs in the upcoming update (if I am understanding things correctly, that's on the list of changes), you could make an underground tavern that people will visit?

On another note, would visitors petition for residency in an adventurer-built site?

Nothing's been said about linking adventure sites to civs in the artifacts release. Would be nice to see visitors come to your taverns though (you can make a tavern in an adventurer site right now).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 06:52:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 28, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »

With mythgen (and beyond) what do you see happening with the concept of 'natural enemies'?
Right now, at year 0, everyone hates goblins because they snatch babies and kobolds because they're thieves. Tags make it true for all time. Is that going to be more defined and mixed up during mythgen (dwarves hate humans naturally because in a time before time humans were created after their god betrayed the dwarven gods, etc)? Or are you thinking of phasing out tag-dictated natural enemies altogether and leaving it all to history (dwarf civ 1 and goblin civ 3 have been strong allies ever since a goblin adventurer recovered the dwarf civ 1's artifacts from a bunch of elves in the year 24. Dwarf civ 3 have never forgiven human civ 2 for the sacking of their capital in the year 4, etc).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 28, 2017, 07:01:00 pm »

Will we be able to hire mercenaries from the tavern into our invasion squads? IE send goblin maceman off to attack nearby elf settlement? Also, will there be anyone coming to our fort specifically to join the invasion force, say we put out a rumour we're mustering an army?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 28, 2017, 07:05:37 pm »

Will we be able to hire mercenaries from the tavern into our invasion squads? IE send goblin maceman off to attack nearby elf settlement? Also, will there be anyone coming to our fort specifically to join the invasion force, say we put out a rumour we're mustering an army?
Mercs will be able to join squads (with no morals about who they attack, apparently).

There's no armies or invasions in the next release, that's in the future. At that point, yes, you're supposed to be able to muster levies from the surrounding hill-dwarf and deep-dwarf populations.

Squads in the next release are for raiding, thieving and rescuing prisoners/kidnapped children.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:12:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 28, 2017, 07:24:43 pm »

Non-dwarf world's are coming right up and there's been no mention of Bay12 shooting themselves in the foot and throwing away a famous brand name. That just doesn't happen.

You might have noticed that there's no Armok either (except in delusional fanlore) but the game's still called Slaves to Armok II.

Not much in the way of slaves either yet...

Good point. Didn't really expect it to change TBH, just posting questions as they come into my head.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2516 on: September 29, 2017, 04:02:45 pm »

Will we, as fortress overseers, be able to arbitrate the arrest of fortress visitors (with or without diplomatic penalties with whoever they're associated with), now that the risk of a siege worth of party-goers accumulating in the pub is now very real?

For future versions:
How conscious of transformative conditions do you think society ingame should be? For instance, would anyone attempt to perform experiments, inquisitions, worship, or otherwise hold study topics about werewolfism or some other manner of syndrome?

Do you think societal interactions with conditions like these should be handled heuristically (takes social values of race and compares them to the effects of the syndrome/transformation in question) or dictatively (Specific tags in syndrome and/or civ/value system raws that allow one to directly set how a community generated from those raws would likely respond to the condition)?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 29, 2017, 08:29:36 pm »

Can worldgen strange moods fail?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:26 pm »

Can worldgen strange moods fail?
Yes. With all the side-effects that implies.
FOTF reply from a while back.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:05 am »

Huh. That brings a new question in mind.

Will artifact weapons and armour be used in martial pursuits?

Will named food items be eaten?
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 211