Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412775 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »

With the approach of the artifact revamp (which may be already out by the time you read this...
It's going to take quite a bit longer than 6 days for the artifact release to happen. Taverns seemed pretty simple (at first) and that took a year (plus six months of enhancements and bug fixing). The framework and worldgen stuff's only just started, all the in-game things that the player actually gets to interact with hasn't even started yet, and that'll take a while. I have no idea, of course, but I can just imagine Kobold site generation by itself bogging down development for month or two.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:43:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2016, 04:44:59 pm »

With the approach of the artifact revamp (which may be already out by the time you read this...
It's going to take quite a bit longer than 6 days for the artifact release to happen. Taverns seemed pretty simple and that took a year. The framework and worldgen stuff's only just started, all the in-game things that the player actually gets to interact with hasn't even started yet, and that'll take a while. I have no idea, of course, but I can just imagine Kobold site generation by itself bogging down development for month or two.

With any luck toady might take this year or the next few months ramping up the out-of-site interactions (such as reclaiming relics) to soften them up for the earliest practical iterations of the army arc/regional world gen interactions like hunting or taming great beasts etc, which toady in DFtalk has said he is keen to do. Not to mention the magic arc.

BloodAndIron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2016, 10:50:23 pm »

It's going to take quite a bit longer than 6 days for the artifact release to happen. Taverns seemed pretty simple (at first) and that took a year (plus six months of enhancements and bug fixing). The framework and worldgen stuff's only just started, all the in-game things that the player actually gets to interact with hasn't even started yet, and that'll take a while. I have no idea, of course, but I can just imagine Kobold site generation by itself bogging down development for month or two.

Wait, what do you mean six days? Am I missing something here?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »

Wait, what do you mean six days? Am I missing something here?
Toady goes through and answers these FotF questions each month, and august is nearing.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2016, 04:48:40 pm »

New Devlog just after some days. This is great.

Will other races/entities generate thieves to steal artifacts or just kobolds (as goblins thieves just kidnap children)?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 25, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »

New Devlog just after some days. This is great.

Will other races/entities generate thieves to steal artifacts or just kobolds (as goblins thieves just kidnap children)?
> Your YAK BULL has been stolen/led away by a elven animal activist!!

Ooh, nice catch, i dont have a development live feed and i completely missed there was a new dev blog so soon. I guess unless [ITEM_THEIF] can be watered down or given a subtype or a somewhat symbiotic set of tags along the lines of [THIEF] / [BLACK MARKET PEDDLER] (as in the thief 'collects', while the market peddler walks arounds and buys/sells unusual goods, usually feeding into one another, contributing adventurer roles in player context and world gen historical figures) this might give reason for antagonists to be wandering around regions as a profession or with enough palm greasing get a professional to do the job for you to save on dwarves going out on expeditions.

In some ways anybody set out, no matter how innocent a intent  to reclaim a object from beings that perceive it to be theirs without first negotiating for it is a thief anyway.

Nice to see that the economical use of stashing away goods that they take from sites is in place rather than just a round-up collection of objects they have 'traded' generating or just took and stored away from a on-site defensive battle. I never really assumed that when they actually pillage a site they take anything, and now it seems to be confirmed in some respect, although broadly and selectively that they do/can.

In a abstract way, its one step closer to realistic pillaging of supplies via the army arc in being selective in what you take out of the comprehensive list of what they have in their stockpiles and trading depots, which is pretty crucial if your own site is severely lacking in materials, just feed spare embark points into weapons to arm a raiding party to go harrass another civ's hamlet or caravan supply lines in the right season. Haul the goods back, make sure its a clean getaway so rumours dont start circulating and the whole thing is declared as a act of war rather than a isolated incident and enjoy the free stuff for a diplomatic penalty hit which could just save your bacon on a super tough embark, while netting some tactics xp in the process.

Question - Is intelligent living 'property' like slaves (existing in that state and being enslaved as a result of ethics) liable to be taken as loot or interacted in some such way if the invaders deem them useful enough to use (liberated into spare entity population or sold on etc even if not explicitly needed/wanted as slaves if a quick death to 'free them' is not enough)

The existing system is rather bare of details, as it's given that slaves are survivors but then incarcerated and released instantly as seemingly normal working citizens in worldgen usually after less than a year, natural slaves belonging to folk for doing actual work or trotting following behind their masters looking rather glum are actually rather rare.

Just as a note, the slavery behavior im talking about was as a result to setting local goblin site (long story, i basically converted goblins to be playable in both modes without distorting them too hard, works out well as every goblin site will have roaming guards to uphold loose law and liberally punish adventurers with weapons drawn/attempts to kill the demon lord) militia to [RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_ENFORCEMENT]

I believe that the militia may be fast tracking them to the prisons, or that simultaneously because my militia also have [RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_STRATEGY] they are going out as army leaders in world gen and enforcing slaves they 'capture' to convert upon arrival rather than mingle or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:46:17 am by FantasticDorf »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 26, 2016, 11:06:28 am »

Are adventurer sites going to be worked on a bit more soon, or during which arc are the likely to be re-visited? Specifically curious about being able to dig and to build the other workshops.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 26, 2016, 01:47:12 pm »

Are adventurer sites going to be worked on a bit more soon, or during which arc are the likely to be re-visited? Specifically curious about being able to dig and to build the other workshops.
Adventure mode digging will usher in a major update for my mod.
* Dirst wrings his hands menacingly
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 26, 2016, 01:51:22 pm »

Are there any plans for adventurers to be able to craft artifacts via strange moods either in the artifact arc or the magic arc? I know you said you might have any item able to be declared an artifact for adventurers, but could they gather materials and make something of the highest craftsdwarfship with that becoming their primary emotional need? Is that kind of how a geas will work?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 26, 2016, 02:10:07 pm »

Adventure mode digging will usher in a major update for my mod.
* Dirst wrings his hands menacingly

That makes two of us. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2016, 05:41:40 pm »

So, is the plan during fortress mode to have some invaders specifically target your site because you have artifacts? When rumours of your artifacts spread, will invaders potentially come from further away (i.e not neighbours) to attack you, or will it only effect the rate that nearby goblins invade (like wealth and exported wealth now)?

Oh, and if an adventurer loots an npc artifact and delivers it to a player fortress, are you likely to get irate invaders (or adventuring groups?!) specifically come looking for it while you're playing as that fortress?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:52 pm »

Oh, and if an adventurer loots an npc artifact and delivers it to a player fortress, are you likely to get irate invaders (or adventuring groups?!) specifically come looking for it while you're playing as that fortress?
-Urist?
-What Urist?
-Those fellows over there haven't touched their pint of beer since they arrived two months ago. They also asked lots of questions about the Golden Trousers of Urist Mcloving...
-Yeah?
-Yes. They also rented a single room for all of them.
-The five of them?
-Yes. They don't let the maid in to clean. And there's been weird digging noises near the vaults.
-Bah Urist you are too untrusted. They are fine lads...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:15:49 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 27, 2016, 07:50:55 am »

-Urist?
-What Urist?
-Those fellows over there haven't touched their pint of beer since they arrived two months ago. They also asked lots of questions about the Golden Trousers of Urist Mcloving...
-Yeah?
-The five of them?
-Yes. They don't let the maid in to clean. And there's been weird digging noises near the vaults.
That would just be so awesome. And you just know it'd go completely overlooked and end up on a bug report. Visiting elf forgot to drop my artifact leggings when he left the fortress...

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 27, 2016, 08:15:42 am »

Least it validifies all those kleptomaniac visitors who don't return stuff they take. (which because books are artifacts will inevitably probably end up being a bug, unless it only applies to true artifact made books, which should probably be treated differently)

Read between the lines, is it a copy? Did the scholar promise to return it/have a set return date? Is the scholar passing it off as their own property? Is it written by a elf and nature sympathist who was consequently melted in magma?

All good reasons to consider, before you send a band of dwarves to go 'collect' it back by roughing up the scholar/bard/other etc. I guess unless you build a shop (harking back to a older time when dwarves used to 'buy' stuff from shops in the economy model) souvenirs are not customary in dwarf fortresses. Heck, animal men (and friendly kobolds whenever in a blue moon that happens) could have built in traits and urges to steal things while visiting or stash additional goods in their pouches/room boxes/cabinets.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 27, 2016, 08:21:31 am »

-Urist?
-What Urist?
-Yeah?
-The five of them?
That would just be so awesome. And you just know it'd go completely overlooked and end up on a bug report. Visiting elf forgot to drop my artifact leggings when he left the fortress...
Forgot? More like he thought his own legging were getting worn out, so he exchanged them for the best alternative in the fort. And of course he would keep his new legging on when he leaves the fort -- they're his now.

I could totally see this bug happening.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 211