Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412721 times)

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2880 on: December 13, 2017, 01:59:18 pm »

Is Dwarf Fortress losing a battle against itself in terms of FPS? As DF keeps getting more complex, I see people getting more and more desperate to maintain a playable FPS. If people are forced to embark on small worlds with 5 year histories to maintain a playable FPS, isn't that leaving much of the game behind? How possible will it be to increase processing efficiency going forward without reworking the whole game? I worry about a future where DF has more and more features, and players are forced to disable more and more of them to make the game playable.

I suppose I could phrase it another way: What is the target? What size world, length of history, embark size, and number of dwarves should we be able to have, and what FPS should we have with those conditions?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:37:11 pm by Rekov »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: December 13, 2017, 08:48:26 pm »

Is Dwarf Fortress losing a battle against itself in terms of FPS? As DF keeps getting more complex, I see people getting more and more desperate to maintain a playable FPS. If people are forced to embark on small worlds with 5 year histories to maintain a playable FPS, isn't that leaving much of the game behind? How possible will it be to increase processing efficiency going forward without reworking the whole game? I worry about a future where DF has more and more features, and players are forced to disable more and more of them to make the game playable.

I suppose I could phrase it another way: What is the target? What size world, length of history, embark size, and number of dwarves should we be able to have, and what FPS should we have with those conditions?

According to my (rough) calculations, the game would become unplayable by the Myth&Magic release, so we may expect optimizations by then.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: December 14, 2017, 07:24:59 am »

The last time this was brought up Toady said:
a) There are still many places that can be optimized, he had a list and does optimization from time to time.

b) Re-writing the entire game from scratch, (while surely unpopular), is still an option if that's what it takes. Most updates remove large amounts of old, buggy, unoptimized code anyhow, so it's probably not at that point yet.

Mythgen looks like it'll be a massive update replacing lots of old systems, so that will help. Moving fortress parts too.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: December 14, 2017, 03:59:58 pm »

Mythgen looks like it'll be a massive update replacing lots of old systems...

so next arc update will be ~3 years out.
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:16 pm »

Myth & Magic is far too large to fit in one arc. This arc will probably last a bit over half a year more, and the next arc will probably be scheduled to take 1 year. I reckon the next arc's first release will appear about two years from now.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 14, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »

Well, the plan is for that not to happen, but we'll see when it gets closer to the time development actually starts, I guess. In the meantime, enjoy the rapid updates for the next few months (when they eventually start).

If stress and siege frequency are a bit more Fun (and all the new mechanics are fixed up and working) by the start of the Long Wait, I wouldn't mind too much.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: December 14, 2017, 07:43:08 pm »

1. You mentioned that corruptions can affect a person's memory such as forgetting their friends, how would this work for a player adventurer? Would they just not know about certain people any more?
2. One of the needs our adventurers can have is to be with friends, how would our adventurers go about acquiring friends once such activities are eventually added?
3. In some worlds where magic exists once someone gets physically corrupted would others react badly to them? Would they're friends and family be more likely to accept them after the corruption occurs?
4. Some of the corruptions in the myth and magic screen shots don't seem necessarily bad, an example being "becoming more dreamlike", would such corruptions actually improve a person's social appeal to others?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: December 16, 2017, 02:03:03 pm »

1. You mentioned that corruptions can affect a person's memory such as forgetting their friends, how would this work for a player adventurer? Would they just not know about certain people any more?
2. One of the needs our adventurers can have is to be with friends, how would our adventurers go about acquiring friends once such activities are eventually added?
3. In some worlds where magic exists once someone gets physically corrupted would others react badly to them? Would they're friends and family be more likely to accept them after the corruption occurs?
4. Some of the corruptions in the myth and magic screen shots don't seem necessarily bad, an example being "becoming more dreamlike", would such corruptions actually improve a person's social appeal to others?

1. Probably.
2. Doesn't talking and performing work? Probably a slow process if it's currently implemented.
3. We can probably assume these are true.
4. Unless "dreamlike" means you're less real, and people start treating you like an imaginary person.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: December 18, 2017, 08:56:11 pm »

1. Once player adventurers are able to marry people how would they go about doing it?
2. Would marriage customs vary among civilizations?
3. One need our adventurers can have is make love, would it be possible to satisfy this need through other means besides marrying and having a spouse?
4. Once the myth and magic arc is complete in worlds where people can get reincarnated will that occur through their souls going to new born babies?
5. If so will the child have all the memories from their past life immediately or will they get them at a delayed pace or will they not know their past life at all?
6. In worlds with magic and corruptions would corruptions be possible that affect a magic user's descendants, for example one such corruption being all their children will be born with extra eyes.
7. Can some corruptions be inherited from magic user parent to child?
8. Will curses be possible that affect the offender's descendants instead or as well as them?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:58:02 pm by Beag »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: December 18, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »

1. Once player adventurers are able to marry people how would they go about doing it?
2. Would marriage customs vary among civilizations?
3. One need our adventurers can have is make love, would it be possible to satisfy this need through other means besides marrying and having a spouse?
4. Once the myth and magic arc is complete in worlds where people can get reincarnated will that occur through their souls going to new born babies?
5. If so will the child have all the memories from their past life immediately or will they get them at a delayed pace or will they not know their past life at all?
6. In worlds with magic and corruptions would corruptions be possible that affect a magic user's descendants, for example one such corruption being all their children will be born with extra eyes.
7. Can some corruptions be inherited from magic user parent to child?
8. Will curses be possible that affect the offender's descendants instead or as well as them?

So, as with all questions that dont pretain to whats being worked on right now. The answer is. "Sounds good, no time table." Or "I have to check my notes."
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Killermartian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: December 18, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »

Do you plan on adding funeral rites?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: December 19, 2017, 12:26:28 am »

Have you given thought to upgrading to SDL 2.0?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: December 19, 2017, 04:18:12 am »

"Sounds good, no schedule, check notes". Probably.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: December 19, 2017, 07:13:46 am »

"Sounds good, no schedule, check notes". Probably.

Probably will come in together with magic&myths.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2894 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:41 am »

In the long term, do you see the emulation of bureaucratic functions necessary, or best left abstracted? Both for worldgen history keeping, as well as active-fortress and adventure level actions.
For instance, attempting to get a loan from a local banker, or making written dictations of laws on sites by siteholders.
The question doesn't concern whether these actions can happen, but whether the guts and causes of said actions would occur (paperwork, people passing along dictations among groups, et cetera).
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 211