Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406558 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2910 on: December 21, 2017, 02:09:57 am »

Will the magic system allow for blood magic and fleshwarping/crafting powers, possibly akin to something like the SCP Foundation's Sarkic Cults, or the Flesh Golems in D&D? Will we be able to make horrific abominations and tame them?

I'm also interested in knowing if holy relics will enable the user to call upon divine power, whether instant death/save or die spells will be implemented or not, and whether or not the player will be able to specify spell-based weather in worldgen, e.g make it rain healing potion or rain the components needed for a constant death or poison curse in the affected area.

For all of this: "in some worlds". Also, make your post lime green if you want Toady to respond.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: December 21, 2017, 02:14:43 am »

So yeah, fleshwarping could be a thing then, possibly based in the DISEASE, DEFORMITY, ANIMALS and NATURE spheres?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: December 21, 2017, 03:13:19 pm »

So yeah, fleshwarping could be a thing then, possibly based in the DISEASE, DEFORMITY, ANIMALS and NATURE spheres?

Probably.  If you have further thoughts on the matter and want Toady to see them, go make a thread in the suggestion forum.  Currently night-trolls fleshwarp their victims into brides/grooms, but I suspect you want something more like granting creatures a second set of arms.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: December 21, 2017, 04:17:05 pm »

Will we be able to make horrific abominations and tame them?

I think it's planned for flesh golems/frankenstein type things to be added as a specific type of night creature eventually. so yeah almost definitely, at some point
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:19:20 pm by golemgunk »

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: December 21, 2017, 06:11:50 pm »

1. In some worlds with magic if two people from two different families that both had magic bloodlines had a child would that child have access to the magic from both bloodlines?
2. One of the activities listed on the development page is helping or hindering bloodlines. Hindering seems simple enough as a player adventurer could just slaughter all the people of that blood line but how would we go about helping a bloodline?
3. In some worlds with magic would it be possible for a magic bloodline to be created post world gen through some magical event turning a normal bloodline magical?
4. In worlds with magic would people of a magic bloodline be given special treatment in some civilizations and if so can you give some possible examples of the special treatment they may receive?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: December 21, 2017, 08:08:49 pm »

1. In some worlds with magic if two people from two different families that both had magic bloodlines had a child would that child have access to the magic from both bloodlines?
2. One of the activities listed on the development page is helping or hindering bloodlines. Hindering seems simple enough as a player adventurer could just slaughter all the people of that blood line but how would we go about helping a bloodline?
3. In some worlds with magic would it be possible for a magic bloodline to be created post world gen through some magical event turning a normal bloodline magical?
4. In worlds with magic would people of a magic bloodline be given special treatment in some civilizations and if so can you give some possible examples of the special treatment they may receive?

Yes, these sound quite simple. In some worlds. Not sure about the bloodlines thing though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: December 22, 2017, 04:51:53 am »

2. One rather straightforward way of helping a bloodline is to slaughter those who try to hinder it... Less straight forward means would be to help their economic, social, or military standing, as well as to perform tasks that might increase the potency of the blood (rituals, component collection, marriage negotiations...).
4. Real world examples are the Egyptian (both original and Greek) and Inca ruling dynasties. In both cases their sun derived divine blood gave them the right to rule the nations, and in both cases they protected the blood line from dilution (or possibly prevented it to spread so anybody could claim to have it) by rampant incest. In fantasy you have (at least) the cases of magic infused blood lines being revered, sometimes with privileges or a particular blood line being a prerequisite for some offices, persecuted, and kept secret.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2917 on: December 22, 2017, 11:34:04 am »

Regarding the current tokens, what exactly do some of the tokens, i.e ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT, entail?

Does it mean that all animals in the selected group will be used as mounts, regardless of whether they have that token or not, or does it only apply to animals that actually do have the mount tokens?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: December 22, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »

Regarding the current tokens, what exactly do some of the tokens, i.e ANIMAL_ALWAYS_MOUNT, entail?

Does it mean that all animals in the selected group will be used as mounts, regardless of whether they have that token or not, or does it only apply to animals that actually do have the mount tokens?

According to file changes.txt, those tokens override the creature raws and make these creatures always/never to be the appropriate role.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2919 on: December 22, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »

That's a bit of a shame - I forgot to add this to my last question, but what about if one of those tokens isn't present but the creature still has, lets say, a mount role innately? Will they still be used as that role?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: December 22, 2017, 01:11:04 pm »

You know what must be done. Give a civ cats as mounts.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: December 22, 2017, 05:24:52 pm »

*Kobold sieges mounted on cats soon become the bane of every one of my fortresses*
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: December 22, 2017, 06:31:21 pm »

*Kobold sieges mounted on cats soon become the bane of every one of my fortresses*
I just got dark elves mounted on giant ravens. They had a ton of pets with them, but opted for the ravens as mounts just because of how cool it looks.

Well, would have been had they not gotten stuck in typical flyer mount pathing bugs. Still, they weren't to know.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 06:35:11 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:04 am »

Is revenge for your civs failed raids/sieges or against groups who've raided them going to be an option during this release? Say, outpost liaison tells you how one of the greatest generals of the civ was captured during a siege, and they'll give you so many urists worth of stuff for free in the next caravan or they'll promise a large steel shipment or something similar in return for his return?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: December 23, 2017, 10:11:48 am »

Is revenge for your civs failed raids/sieges or against groups who've raided them going to be an option during this release? Say, outpost liaison tells you how one of the greatest generals of the civ was captured during a siege, and they'll give you so many urists worth of stuff for free in the next caravan or they'll promise a large steel shipment or something similar in return for his return?

Most likely in economy update, which is due in about 20 years.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 211