Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413335 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2016, 06:11:36 pm »

Wait... does "I'm not sure if that'll include a diplomatic angle or just a group sneaking into your fort mostly using existing code." mean there will be other adventurers with companions running around on quests besides us now?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2016, 06:17:08 pm »

He he he, that's the plan!  dev: "Quests can be taken by player adventurer or other characters"  Forming part of the basis for it now with worldgen adventuring groups going for heirlooms etc., hopefully with some relationships that persist into play.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2016, 07:05:03 pm »

Oh god that sounds great, and a double answer! Senpai noticed me.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:36 pm »

lol Max.  I'll throw my proverbial hat in the ring here for the next round of answers.

The Work Orders update was truly fantastic.  Have you given any thought to adding a similar quality-of-life improvement to the labors interface?  Honestly, that is the only part of the GUI which I really feel I need a mod/utility to handle.  Trying to manage the labors for more than a handful of Dwarves using the ingame menus is truly cumbersome.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:12:18 pm by Immortal-D »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:30 pm »

lol Max.  I'll throw my proverbial hat in the ring here for the next round of answers.

The Work Orders update was truly fantastic.  Have you given any thought to adding a similar quality-of-life improvement to the labors interface?  Honestly, that is the only part of the GUI which I really feel I need a mod/utility to handle.  Trying to manage the labors for more than a handful of Dwarves using the ingame menus is truly cumbersome.
Lime green for questions. And yeah Toady's mentioned replacing this altogether with...something else. Actually, would be interesting to hear if this 'something else' is any clearer yet or still waiting for just the right Strange Mood to hit before it gets looked at.

Danny McNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2016, 05:22:50 am »

Sorry if this has been answered before or is just too far off to be a useful question, but here goes:
Any plans for multiplayer? It would be so cool to have my PC hosting a world as a server and to have me and my mates running around on it carrying out quests and coming across each other's interactions with the world. Being able to maraud together as a group would also be epic, but maybe it's something for version 2.0??!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:41 am »

I know this is kind of a tangent but now with artifact weapons, do you see feasible a little rework for ranged weapons? Specially customable reloading time? This I think is important to differentiate crossbows from bows and blowguns.

Also, artifact clothing in fortress and adventurer mode, will be of any practical use? Will they be subject to wear and tear?

On a tangent (on what already is a tangent), what about leather size being determinative to the kind and amount of products made? Have you thought about making different size animals give off different amounts of leather? Different products employing different amounts of material or something else?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2016, 08:11:24 am »

Which features in your long-term list are you the most looking forward to working on? Which feature in general do you think will be the most painful to implement?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2016, 08:29:12 am »

He he he, that's the plan!  dev: "Quests can be taken by player adventurer or other characters"  Forming part of the basis for it now with worldgen adventuring groups going for heirlooms etc., hopefully with some relationships that persist into play.

Do you ever foresee a application of a UI window much like in the fortress mode side panel to help handle backlogs of quests (specific item recovery) that can be pursued in the world?

And possibly that specific fortress mode UI as a placeholder for giving instructions to go out into the world, by setting your own 'quests' such as this group of dwarves embarks on a quest to go build a hillock on the next door embark tile or lead so-and so army or join up with a bigger one etc, giving purpose to movement and leaving the map while still connecting you with the action with notifications on progress.

Going out of lime green bounds for a moment, by 'notification of progress' i mean within the twisted confines of my own mind I kind of see it as a hands off Oregon trail, for the most part dwarves go and deal with things themselves on the trip out of a series of scripted (animal attacks, bogeymen if going alone/number whittled down) and unscripted events as per part of the journey in which you will be asked how to handle some things else dwarves will auto-resolve and/or carry out your will to the competency of their personalities and skills.

Quote from: examples
> A handful of socially competent dwarves will skim you mostly past all civilized persons blocking your way but likely not benefit you at all if you are randomly attacked if a event or just circumstance (you cross paths with a notorious creature taking refuge within the region/patrol force) forces you into a combat you can't escape easily from because your dwarves you chose tire easily from running etc or die of the injuries they sustain due to no medical professionals or supplies out in the wilderness too far away from help.

> Do you ford the river at risk of dwarves dying due to poor swim skills? or turn back for a new path/put time into making a shoddy bridge to cross if you have a carpenter. Player given the question and dwarves try the chosen solution to the best of their capabilities.

> Little Urist Jimmy after drinking some fouled water has died of dysentery, do you leave his corpse behind to try and distract the wolves stalking you or take time aside to properly bury him and put his soul to rest at risk of being attacked? (with consequences of the corpse/ghost being resurrected as a historical figure down the line due to tragic/other circumstances)

> Dwarves arriving safely at the new site for the hillock (to which the journey may be dangerous) will tell you what they are doing and occasionally exclaim at the lack of materials/skills/manpower they need to fill the quota of basic things to found the site before you really get to demand anything of them when they are self sufficient in return.

@LordBaal Blowguns are already quite different, the [MAX_VELOCITY] of blowguns favours vertical long range to increase the power of the dart to a critical speed and velocity, so in essence armed with adamantium blow-darts they will just penetrate steel armour, straight into guts in the best conditions despite poor ammo penetration values. Updated materials and ideal positioning makes all the difference even with sub-par base weapon power and ammunition.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2016, 08:50:38 am »

@Danny McNoob: Multiplayer and fine grained turn based simulation makes for a really horrible combination. Each time any of you wants to stand and think about what to do everyone else is made to wait as well, so it would be horribly jerky. Thus, multiplayer adventure mode is basically impossible without giving up the fine grained turned based simulation, and if you want an FPS there are a lot of those available elsewhere.
Multiplayer fortress mode is at least possible to contemplate with synchronization points once per month/season/year or something like that, but it would still be awkward and go completely against the grain of the current DF implementation, which, as far as I understand it, has the complete world (at a higher abstraction level) go about in the background all the time. Somehow, the different players' worlds would have to be made to evolve exactly the same, while their embarks are "holes" that synchronize with the world at those synchronization points, and recent introduction of visitors provides a very visible interaction with the outside world which would have to be dealt with somehow.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2016, 08:53:40 am »

I recently did some science where I jacked humans' hostility values up to 100 and generated worlds. One thing I saw that was interesting was succession wars - sets of civil wars that all occurred following the death of a law-giver. Was that intentional? What causes it?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2016, 01:31:35 pm »

If we start out with a typical result being "dwarves replaced by worm people living in a world-intestine and routinely being snatched by spirits to be drowned in a lake of bile", or something like that, it's fine, and we can refine our sense of horror (and playability) from there.

I'm now overly hyped for Lovecraftian DF.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2016, 01:37:22 pm »

If we start out with a typical result being "dwarves replaced by worm people living in a world-intestine and routinely being snatched by spirits to be drowned in a lake of bile", or something like that, it's fine, and we can refine our sense of horror (and playability) from there.

[Vore jokes intensify]

And I think drinking mugs full of people in cages was enough as it is.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »

Can't rush quality but how's Threetoe's latest story coming along?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2016, 01:48:29 pm »

Can't rush quality but how's Threetoe's latest story coming along?

Threetoe's working on a story? o.o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 211