Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411081 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2016, 01:53:57 pm »

Can't rush quality but how's Threetoe's latest story coming along?

Threetoe's working on a story? o.o
Hopefully it's not about drinking people.

Threetoe's stories are generally describing Dwarf Fortress as it is intended to look in the future.  But has this ever gone backwards, with some implementation detail or even bug making its way into a story?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #331 on: August 01, 2016, 03:40:09 pm »

Thanks toady!
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2016, 04:01:11 pm »

August report is up. Interesting content

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2016, 04:49:40 pm »

With the oh so important words 'site lag' sneaking in at the end there where they might be overlooked. Looks like we're heading for another Best Release Ever for Adventurer (and the fortress stuff will probably be nice too).

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2016, 04:53:42 pm »

With the oh so important words 'site lag' sneaking in at the end there where they might be overlooked. Looks like we're heading for another Best Release Ever for Adventurer (and the fortress stuff will probably be nice too).
I personally am looking forward to being a raven-man whose life goal is to collect every artifact ever and use them as throwing weapons.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2016, 04:57:59 pm »

I personally am looking forward to being a group of raven-man in power armor whose life goal is to collect every artifact ever and use them as throwing weapons.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »

In the (far) future, will we see more blending between adventure and fortress mode or will they stay separate game modes ?

I mean by example not having to quit a game in fortress mode to start one in adventure mode, but switch out of your overseer position and simply either take control of one of your fort citizen/visitor or creating a character on the fly, or when visiting one of your fortresses, just switch to the overseer position of it at any time ?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »

I personally am looking forward to being a raven-man whose life goal is to collect every artifact ever and use them as throwing weapons.

Then get murdered in your sleep by people who are trying to steal your artifacts.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2016, 05:53:10 pm »

In the (far) future, will we see more blending between adventure and fortress mode or will they stay separate game modes ?

I mean by example not having to quit a game in fortress mode to start one in adventure mode, but switch out of your overseer position and simply either take control of one of your fort citizen/visitor or creating a character on the fly, or when visiting one of your fortresses, just switch to the overseer position of it at any time ?

Toady talks briefly about further merging modes in the interview posted today.

I'd like this too, but Seamless Switching does kind of open up a 'Fortress cheat mode', doesn't it?
Oh no, my axelord is charging the goblin hordes in his bloodlust...no..wait...he changed his mind and came home instead.
Damn that noble and his impossible demands...oh, no, he cancelled them.
Fight in the inn!...no, Urist just walked away and let the guards handle it.
Hmm...

Seamless switching from Adventurer to Site management when you claim a site would be nice though. Or, switching to a Dwarf who's been sent away from the fortress on a mission (as the next release will have) would be cool too.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:54:49 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2016, 06:02:15 pm »

Thanks i wasn't aware of that interview, and after checking the bay12 main page i learned a few nice things
Pretty soon, we're going to add creation myth generation to the game, and I suspect that'll give rise to a bit more fun on the world generation side, though I'm not sure it'd qualify as a mode. The same goes for editors for site maps and so on. Adventure mode just got cabin building, and that has the potential to morph into some sort of dwarf/adventure mode hybrid. I suspect we'll see more line-blurring like that -- fortress dwarves will be able to go off-map in the next release. Our larger plans had stricter ideas for different modes, playing dragons and deities and human towns and so forth, but I'm not sure how it'll play out, versus the natural evolution of existing modes to other styles of play.

for the possible cheating side of having a seamless gameplay, i don't think it's much of an obstacle as savescumming already exist to work around failures or losses for those such things annoy.
And the idea of taking over your axelord that is along your whole troops in a middle of a giant battle, sounds much more fun than a cheat opportunity :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:05:02 pm by Robsoie »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:44 pm »

lol Max.  I'll throw my proverbial hat in the ring here for the next round of answers.

The Work Orders update was truly fantastic.  Have you given any thought to adding a similar quality-of-life improvement to the labors interface?  Honestly, that is the only part of the GUI which I really feel I need a mod/utility to handle.  Trying to manage the labors for more than a handful of Dwarves using the ingame menus is truly cumbersome.
Lime green for questions. And yeah Toady's mentioned replacing this altogether with...something else. Actually, would be interesting to hear if this 'something else' is any clearer yet or still waiting for just the right Strange Mood to hit before it gets looked at.
Woops, thanks for the catch.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »

I personally am looking forward to being a group of raven-men in power armor whose life goal is to collect every artifact ever and use them as throwing weapons while on fire.
Double fixed.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2016, 02:46:19 am »

I know this is kind of a tangent but now with artifact weapons, do you see feasible a little rework for ranged weapons? Specially customable reloading time? This I think is important to differentiate crossbows from bows and blowguns.

Just an add-on: it'd be very interesting if strength affected range for bows, granting the full 25 tile range if high, say 20 if above avg, etc. Crossbows could have an optimal power range, perhaps at 10 tile distance, just to differential between the two types of weapons. That's just based on what currently exists.

Danny McNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2016, 05:17:25 am »

Thanks PatrickLundell, yeah I'd thought that it would have to require that when anyone pauses all others have to wait and would drastically change the feel from turn based to real-time - I'd still be well up for having to adapt play styles to learn how to play in real-time rather than turn-based in order to be able to explore the same world at the same time with my buddies, but I get that it'll probably never happen!

Thanks for the answer though.

D

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2016, 05:45:06 am »

Will Artifacts that have acquired kills at points during their Worldgen and post-Worldgen history be listed when you examine the weapon in Adventure Mode? It would be cool to have their history be recorded on the items themselves.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 211