Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412499 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #390 on: August 08, 2016, 02:58:00 pm »

A observation of playing as a goblin entity adventurer in discussion about the demon via a subordinate yields that the pretty standard and possibly required demon sphere type is Thralldom (consistently from my testing). Which might answer your question why even with 1 demon, may not be prerequisite for a goblin civ, because its the wrong sphere type to be plucked from the available pool @LordBaal

So in essence a topic from Indigophoenix, hosted in my thread (Forced fellowship - persuasive magic and minions) has come true with thralldom affecting the control over minions in a round-about way for positioning to assume a [POWER] role or a hard-coded demon master niche that relies on the sphere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2016, 01:43:44 am »

Yeah, I was about to say "wait, I've been generating words with hordes of goblins and no hell layer for glitchy volcano fun" but remembered I added [POWER] to my intelligent dragons and steel colossi.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2016, 04:41:29 am »

You can totally get goblins without enabling two lowermost layers, as long as there's demons. They already escape the underworld before they exist, after all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2016, 05:51:55 am »

I don't get demons leading goblin forts without a hell layer OR [POWER] on megabeasts, though I bet it would work well giants too... hmmm.

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2016, 06:49:35 am »

How extensively will non-player Adventurers hunt for artifacts?

For example, consider this scenario; A King sends out a NPC hero to retrieve an artifact ring from a Dragon's cave. However, the player steals the ring before the NPC hero can arrive. When the NPC hero arrives at the empty cave, will he just stamp his feet, swear a little, and return home? Or, will he continue on his hunt and track the player down? Do foot prints and witnesses come into play? Does the hero shake down the player for the artifact with that new bandit mugging behavior?   
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2016, 07:15:04 am »

You can totally get goblins without enabling two lowermost layers, as long as there's demons. They already escape the underworld before they exist, after all.
Never managed to do it. Even jacking up the number of clowns, without the bottom layer they just don't spawn. I think that maybe disabling those layers overrides the number set for the clowns with zero.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2016, 09:00:46 am »

Never managed to do it. Even jacking up the number of clowns, without the bottom layer they just don't spawn. I think that maybe disabling those layers overrides the number set for the clowns with zero.

Spoiler: "Try this" (click to show/hide)

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2016, 01:13:39 pm »

Any way we can get the UTTERANCES rules out of being hard-coded?
Link.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2016, 04:18:37 pm »

In Fortress Mode will there ever be a way for the player to assign orphans to married couples?  For example, babies or toddlers who have lost their parents to combat, accidents, or FBs?
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:08 pm »

Will npc's knowledge of an artifact's location be tied to rumors?

Like, if someone is heading to plunder an artifact, and you find it first and run off with it, will they automatically come after you instead of heading toward it's previously known location, even if you didn't tell anyone you have it? Would npc's say anything if they saw you carrying an artifact? It would be neat if you could steal something and secretly hide it somewhere, making it lost to all but those who know where you put it.

Also, How would an npc treasure hunter react if they knew you're carrying an artifact they're after? Would they try to kill you on the spot, or mug you like bandits do, barter for it, or even just nicely ask you to give it to them?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2016, 11:00:55 pm »

Will the full range of quests be available to npc adventurers (beasts, bandits, war as well as artifacts)? What will npc adventurers be doing in between quests? Will they be building reputation on their own by raiding tombs, hunting monsters, travelling into the underworld and so on just like players? Or roaming from town to town until a hearth gives them a quest?

Also, how much of what they do will be abstracted? Will we actually get to run into them deep in a kobold cave somewhere as they hunt for artifacts if we're there at the same time? Will they be proactively going about their quests, or just hanging around until we go away and they can get on with things?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2016, 11:04:06 pm »

In Fortress Mode will there ever be a way for the player to assign orphans to married couples?  For example, babies or toddlers who have lost their parents to combat, accidents, or FBs?
This seems like something dorfs should do by themselves, like marriage.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2016, 12:00:23 am »

Will NPC adventurers ask other NPCs and possibly the player, to join them on adventures?
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 11, 2016, 12:43:02 am »

How robust is the rumour/information system when it comes to entities tracking the location of artifacts they want?

What I mean is, if npc adventurer group A is sent out to recover an artifact from a lair and they get ambushed/backstabbed there by a mean player adventurer deep underground who makes off with the artifact himself, how long will it take for the original entity to find out what happened?

Will they work it out upon discovery of the bodies by a later adventurer group, or will they have to wait until rumours reach them that I've actually got it (and can I prevent this somehow by 'hiding' the artifact somewhere)? Will the entity keep sending pointless excursions to the original lair in the belief that the artifact is still there?

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2016, 01:14:05 am »

This seems like something dorfs should do by themselves, like marriage.

:O

finally a use for the Dorf Legal system!

"By the power invested in me I hereby declare that you will be owned by the last surviving member of your family, your house cat. The law has spoken!" *Bangs gavel*
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 211