Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1404472 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #540 on: September 02, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »

Oh god I just figured out why the "dwarves crawling through a world-intestine before being dragged out to be drowned" thing gave me a weirdly humorous vibe.

I don't understand! Do you like this? Are you enjoying this?

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 03, 2016, 07:47:18 am »

Regarding creation myths (though it'd apply to regular myths as well), two things:

Firstly, is there really only one belief system per race? I'd find it odd if every culture in the world possessed identical creation myths and beliefs, so will the system be able to generate separate religions? I highly doubt creatures of different cultures and religions would hold the same creation doctrine, after all. Religions splintering off/combining, and growing/shrinking in power could be interesting. Cults that don't believe in souls, or say that a different god created their race, for example.

Secondly, by 'fake myths' I mean, can it generate myths that are actually false? In the GDC video, you did mention you can have religion and myths without fantasy existing, but is it possible to generate false gods or magic while still having some of it be real? Like, two kinds of magic runestone exist but only one of them actually works; or two gods but one is just made up by a cult.

If so, could the player could set an option for "All true/Some true/All false"?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:22:13 pm by Qyubey »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 03, 2016, 07:52:10 am »

The myth generator screens actually seemed to leave room for that sort of thing, over on the right side it had adjectives like "lost" "doubted" "destroyed" and whatnot as I recall, I've got some of the shots I took from the video somewhere.

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 03, 2016, 08:01:23 am »

The myth generator screens actually seemed to leave room for that sort of thing, over on the right side it had adjectives like "lost" "doubted" "destroyed" and whatnot as I recall, I've got some of the shots I took from the video somewhere.

Is that the video of Tarn showing the prototype off? I had to stop watching because I was busy. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he mentioned somewhere that myths could become lost so that's a definite one, but I'm mainly concerned about the fact that he showed off a block of creation myth - feels like it'd imply there's only one creation myth per world, which is just not cricket.

It'd be great in Adventure mode to be faced with a bunch of different religions, each with codexes that contradict one another, making you unsure as to which is the truth, if any. Also that sense of suspicion if the god you worship even exists - or could just be asleep for a thousand years. It'd be Fun if you got fed up and renounced your god, only to be struck down for your impudence and disbelief.  :D

Maybe, if there was a Prime Myth that every other religion took bits of and added their own nonsense, you'd have the option to try and collate all the historical and religious information you can to decipher common Myths and Events. New Adventurer Job: Historian. It'd certainly give you a reason to visit libraries and collect books. Maybe you keep finding this mention of a Dark Tower in different cultures, so you venture out to it and see what information could be stored there.

EDIT: Watching the video now. It does seem to imply different cultures will interpret the creation myth differently (depending on what they were associated with), but they do seem to share gods. My question was about whether they'd believe entirely unique creation myths, but this might work better. I could see this as a Zeus/Jupiter situation, where they just call things differently but have a similar root, so that's very interesting and plays more into the historian idea. One issue I have is that it doesn't seem to generate unique religions - just race-wide ones. It'd be cool to see sects and offshoots from big religions that interpret the creation myth and its gods differently. Like if some necromancers believe one god was actually a death deity and rewrite history to fit their view.

EDIT2: Finished it. Now I feel silly, so I edited my question a bit. Basically I just want to know if we can expect lies to be possible.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:33:36 am by Qyubey »

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:00 am »

When the sliders for world generation are implemented, and 0 fantasy worlds are generated, containing only humans, will that mean that those worlds will be unplayable because they lack dwarves? Or will we, on those occasions, be able to play as humans? Or will the "dwarves" of such worlds actually be "medium sized humanoids, fond of the sun and industry" (humans)?

Wish Fulfiller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 04, 2016, 01:30:59 pm »

Excellent deed, saving that bat! Turn off those ceiling fans or the blades will crush little aviating bones.

Do ceiling fans even exist in British homes?

SpoCk0nd0pe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 04, 2016, 01:32:12 pm »

Given that the switch to 64 bit seems to be addressing some hardware limitations of the game, are there further steps planned in that direction? Like addressing CPU limitations?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 04, 2016, 01:36:01 pm »

Like, what? Teaming up with Intel to make a DF custom CPU? oO
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 04, 2016, 02:22:49 pm »

Like, what? Teaming up with Intel to make a DF custom CPU? oO
Before long you might need a quantum computer to implement your quantum stockpile.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 04, 2016, 07:04:46 pm »

Toady One and Threetoe live in the pacific northwest of the United States, so I'm not sure why you are asking this.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 04, 2016, 07:52:40 pm »

Oh, thought of another one:

Will civilizations ever own artifacts? I know bloodlines can, but I mean like governments/institutions controlling art; the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, for example. On that note, will we ever have procedural flags, anthems, or dances that are unique to/associated with a civilization? Can you play someone the song of your people? I could imagine playing a national anthem for people that are currently at war with that nation would probably result in a bar fight.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 07:22:21 pm by Qyubey »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 05, 2016, 09:32:09 pm »

When the sliders for world generation are implemented, and 0 fantasy worlds are generated, containing only humans, will that mean that those worlds will be unplayable because they lack dwarves? Or will we, on those occasions, be able to play as humans? Or will the "dwarves" of such worlds actually be "medium sized humanoids, fond of the sun and industry" (humans)?
Adventurer will be playable. But, yeah, I suppose you might end up with human 'dwarves' for Fortress mode.

Toady mentioned earlier, that non-fortress site play probably won't be in for a while and in case of a completely random weird races world with no dwarves, one would inevitably be pushed into being a subterranean, fortress building type to keep Fortress mode going.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 05, 2016, 09:38:39 pm »

Adventurer will be playable. But, yeah, I suppose you might end up with human 'dwarves' for Fortress mode.

Toady mentioned earlier, that non-fortress site play probably won't be in for a while and in case of a completely random weird races world with no dwarves, one would inevitably be pushed into being a subterranean, fortress building type to keep Fortress mode going.
As scenarios and other site types get rounded out (forest retreats, etc.) the game might be able to cobble together a "fort" mode for non-subterranean critters.  Phosphorus-powered undersea forges, anyone?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:50 pm »

As scenarios and other site types get rounded out (forest retreats, etc.) the game might be able to cobble together a "fort" mode for non-subterranean critters.  Phosphorus-powered undersea forges, anyone?
Yeah, eventually it'll all get there. It's in the long term notes. Just perhaps not with the initial mythgen release.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #554 on: September 06, 2016, 09:37:56 pm »

He wasn't actually asking the question as related to the previous sentence, he was just asking an unrelated question. :P

By the way, do people eat pears in Britain? :P
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 211