Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1412021 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #585 on: September 14, 2016, 11:17:28 pm »

Mods can already make creatures intelligent, so that's not too weird.

You can pretty easily have goblins raised in elven culture or w/e already. Adoption simply isn't in the game right now, but AFAIK it's always said to be something reasonable when it comes up.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2016, 12:09:53 am »

Mods can already make creatures intelligent, so that's not too weird.

You can pretty easily have goblins raised in elven culture or w/e already. Adoption simply isn't in the game right now, but AFAIK it's always said to be something reasonable when it comes up.
When I said "raise by X" I was more talking about less civilised animals like for example wolves which is the normal X for the "raised by X" (saying?) thing.
Hello I'm insane!

Qyubey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2016, 07:30:23 am »

That would more likely show 'do you use dfhack/noob packs' rather than any preference for 32 bit over 64 bit.

I know I use DFhack just because I need mouse support. Having to use the directional arrow to move a cursor every single time is murderously slow and I can't stand it - especially since I like to use 'k' and examine my stuff all the time.

Another question, but more speculative:

Aside Adventurer and Fortress modes, do you envision having any other modes to play the game in? Or would future additions just vary the content of those two? (playing as a monster in adventure, building a town in fortress) Asking very much in the 'what I think now' sense.

Yes, well kinda. It depends how much of a different mode you'd consider it. Technically, you can build a town now in Fort Mode, the systems to recognize it as such are just coming in slowly, but the whole guests and tavern thing is a start.

Beyond that, TodayOne and ThreeToe have talked about, being able to play as any historical figure from World Gen. Even if this is a Ruler, and just rule the country. From what I recall, this was being done in the frame work of adventure mode, but being a Ruler of a country  would imply a lot of different features that currently arent there for players yet. And that conversation didnt exclude historical figures, that happen to be monsters, but it was focus on none monsters.

And they have also talked about building up towns, starting up towns in Adventure Mode as well, in something discrete. Like you wouldnt jump to Fortress Mode to make your Adventurers town.

That's kind of the root of my question. Either he can keep implementing new features on either of those two modes, or segregate out game types so that each given one focuses on its own thing. I imagine Controls would be a big decider - if you controlled a ruler or ran a semi-autonomous town or tavern you might have a different control scheme than pure adventurer or Fortress.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 16, 2016, 01:07:23 am »

Are there any planned expansions to night creatures during the magic release, either the addition of new ones or changes to existing night creatures to make them fit in with the magic in myth generation? Will necromancers and bandit leaders be asking for artifacts, or ever go seeking them personally? If a civilization's artifact ends up at a necromancer tower do they understand how to siege that? Will vampire purges ever have the chance to go wrong and end with the vampire destroying a whole village or something?

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 18, 2016, 05:56:18 pm »

Hey Toady,
What are some artifact effects that you are excited about adding?

Are creature size changes going to effect clothing differently (examples: cloth, silk, etc ripping apart from the size increase (possibly leaving wearable rags for your new size, if your size doesn't increase too much) and metal taking much longer to break apart most likely hurting the player in the process) anytime soon?

On a related subject, are you planning on making an effect for wearable artifacts that makes the artifact change size to fit the wearer?

Lastly, are we ever going to be able to wear clothing that doesn't fit? For example wearing a large robe/coat/shirt so you don't freeze to death if you don't have anything else.

Edit:Oh you can't forget the effect where the wearer grows/shrinks to the size of the clothes when worn.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:14:05 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 21, 2016, 12:05:36 pm »

As a personal project I'm working on creature descriptions, and I've been very curious as to how Toady and Threetoe creatively envision the animal people. Are red squirrel men (just as one example) covered in fur, resembling humanoid versions of red squirrels, or is the description intended to be a more literal one, with an ordinary human that just happens to have a squirrel's head and tail? ("A person with the head and tail of a red squirrel"). One could argue that there's "no official answer" to this, but I'm still curious to hear how Toady/Threetoe think of them. Fan artwork tends to depict them as the former, but the descriptions seem to imply the latter.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:38:42 pm by Taffer »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2016, 12:26:27 pm »

I'm always scared to go down that road, for there furry madness lies.

I've also got something which I'm scared to mention and definitely don't want to bring up as a bug report, but in certain cases it is possible to demolish structures by simply deconstructing them with a campsite. The method by which a campsite can overlap a structure is an edge case to say the least*, but the end result is still a hole in the ground that used to be an underworld spire, or a sacked keep, and so forth. Sadly these structures are still listed as being intact, but due to the permanence enforced on campsites they remain demolished. Would you happen to know if any of the changes you've made with temples/kobold sites, and artifact tracking would touch on things like the world being aware of campsites and events/changes made within them? Related to this would be things like a campsite tavern attracting customers, temples attracting pilgrims, and so on.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2016, 01:17:50 pm »

Beast men are fairy well established in fantasy genre.

Usually, depending on a beast type, they are humanoid in appearance - as in two- legged.
However other features vary greatly - lion men are usually big and muscular with clawed arms and lion heads, Ajani Pride from MTG is good illustration of that, consistent with earlier fantasy depiction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bearmen are their own category. They are large, hairy, aggresive in most of settings, have large claws and fangs.

Cat people are somewhat special.
They are usually portrayed as nimble, using tools, claws, stealth but - they are of the size of human or smaller, with short fur.
They would look something like this:
Elder Scrolls Khajit are good depiction of those.

Hyena men are your typical gnolls. Actually Gnoll race *is* Hyena Men.
Gnolls are typically ugly, smelling, aggresive and strong, moving in pack with their large weapons.

Wolf men are somewhat werewolf type - although their personalities do vary much.

Other beast men were also depicted:
Rhino men are especially nicely done in MTG, due to Rhox people:
Fierce, but civilized warriors, that most often than not stand on the side of "Good".

Elephant men were portrayed through the fantasy genre many times as well.
In wizardry series you could have a playable character of Elephant man of Ninja class (try to imagine few tonne elephant ninja).
They are usually big, heavy, and doing a lot of damage and - almost never 'evil' in any sense.

Beast men have been around since 80s(probably much earlier, considering egyptian mythology, but let's talk modern fantasy).
Initially savage, they evolved greatly in 90s and later on and there is a lot of reference on how to picture them.

Of course, there are more modern depiction of them. And it is good to remember smaller creatures are animal people too:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:21:15 pm by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 21, 2016, 01:21:07 pm »

Beast men are fairy well established in fantasy genre.

I know about their depiction in the fantasy genre, but I'm not asking about that. I'm asking for Toady and Threetoe's take on them, and their descriptions lend themselves more to egyptian-style animal gods, with animal faces and features on otherwise human people. Their take on elves isn't the well established fantasy version, either.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2016, 01:22:23 pm »

I am not saying this is how they will be portrayed in DF.

All I am saying that there is a plenty of source material and Toady probably have encountered some of these somewhere.
We will have to wait and see :)

Edit:
I know what you are asking and I am curious myself!
I just think that in game description "a person with animal head and tail" is more of a placeholder than definitive depiction at this time :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:26:27 pm by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »

The ANIMAL_PERSON creature variation does not alter the underlying creature's [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] tag.  So as of right now they are furry.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 21, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »

I thought I was the only one wondering how exactly the animal people looked, I'm still wondering if the heads to them are pure animal or a mix of human (or humanoid) and animal, because the pure animal heads always looked creepy in my head.
Hello I'm insane!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 21, 2016, 10:31:42 pm »

Given that most dwarves find nature to be somewhat disturbing, that's probably a good thing. :D
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 22, 2016, 02:01:47 am »

I think that's just because they don't like looking at it and are only in it to cut down trees and cutting down tree lovers. (I'm just thinking of a elf protesting with a sign that says "non sentient meat is murder.)
Hello I'm insane!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 22, 2016, 12:02:27 pm »

The ANIMAL_PERSON creature variation does not alter the underlying creature's [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] tag.  So as of right now they are furry.

Furry confirmed. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 211