Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411015 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 10:47:06 pm »

Kelp forests! Yeah it'd be great to see the coastline get some more love.

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:44 pm »

The destruction of the previous thread gave me a thought.

Especially now with myth stuff upcoming, and their being able to affect terrain, what about worldgen disasters? Mundane stuff, maybe, such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, or more interestingly, meteor strikes. And for high-magic worlds, magical disasters, like an evil mage wipes out a region and turns it to desert, or the moon crashes into the planet, or a god/demon does something disastrous (great floods, smiting a city, fiery apocalypse). Something that would have major effects, at least in a part of the game world.

In a similar vein, magical artifacts will be created, but what about magical landforms made during worldgen? I know about the cosmic eggshell thing, and you mentioned that the HFS will be more abstracted, but what about something like a holy pantheon on top of a mountain, or magical creatures/gods who have a home in the sky, for example?
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 02:20:54 am »

Nevermind. An old memory tried to occupy the space of a new one.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:49:03 am by peasant cretin »

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2016, 02:46:18 am »

Will AIs ever have a more complex approach to combat? Will they ever make "threat assessments" and view combat as a series of stages? Players can make combat revolve around the creature type or on combat stages (address enemy charge attack, address enemy grab attack, address enemy weapon attack, address enemy body material, address enemy special attack, etc, etc).

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 03:37:27 am »

Watching for Posts
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 05:07:27 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Whatsifsowhatsit
What would "bleak and horrifying" entail? Would this include some of the things that have traditionally been avoided in Dwarf Fortress for various reasons, such as sex and (lack of) consent and whatnot? (There were, I think, some other similar things that I don't remember off the top of my head.)

Oh, and at the other side of the spectrum, is "No death [...]" to be taken literally? Will there be no death at all in this setting (and what would that mean for the demographics and such of the worlds)? Or just no death due to fights and wars and the like?

Nah, we weren't thinking of going that way.

Yeah, no death at all.  Use of the attack button in adventure mode removed, etc.  We were thinking of intermediate setting(s) where wars and attacks against intelligent critters would be off, but e.g. hunting and butchery would be permitted, so you could still do the ranch-fort thing without worrying about wars or extortion or whatever.

Slightly disappointing, but not a surprise. Perhaps eventually I will have to move away from vanilla after all (for some play sessions at least). I'm still curious, however, about the following aspect of my earlier question: How would world demographics/population dynamics work in a setting where there is no death at all (of intelligent races)?

Also, the dev page said there would be a spectrum from "No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying", but as you described it in your answer to my previous question, it sounds like you consider the regular settings to already be the bleak and horrifying end of the spectrum. Is that indeed the case, or did you just not go into the other side of things? If it's the latter, could you elaborate on what would be different on that side of the spectrum relative to the regular settings as we know them now? Perhaps just quantitatively more violence by changing some numbers around? Or would it be a qualitative difference somehow?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 08:24:03 am »

The destruction of the previous thread gave me a thought.

what about worldgen disasters? Mundane stuff, maybe, such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes

In the FOTF reply in the thread that was just closed, check out Heretic's 7th question.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf//index.php?topic=140544.msg7073586#msg7073586

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 06:42:40 pm »

PTW
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2016, 12:54:09 am »

PTW

By the time everyone is done posting to watch, the thread will be all filled up and we'll need to start a new one.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2016, 01:06:34 am »

There is a Notify button you can use, folks

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2016, 04:27:19 am »

It doesn't do the same thing at all, though.

Notify button sends you an email when somebody replies.

Posting to watch makes the thread show up in your new replies list.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2016, 04:40:55 am »

It doesn't do the same thing at all, though.

Notify button sends you an email when somebody replies.

Posting to watch makes the thread show up in your new replies list.

I was not aware of that!!

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2016, 04:50:31 am »

Will we ever get multi-tile creatures? It is a bit weird that dragon takes one tile like a bee does. And with ships, a leviathan that attacks it needs to have its multi-tile tentacles to destroy it.
Yes, I'm gay.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2016, 04:52:39 am »

Will we ever get multi-tile creatures? It is a bit weird that dragon takes one tile like a bee does. And with ships, a leviathan that attacks it needs to have its multi-tile tentacles to destroy it.
They talked bout it in the dwarfmoot video. Bottom line, it's really hard to get it to look good.

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2016, 04:54:05 am »

They talked bout it in the dwarfmoot video. Bottom line, it's really hard to get it to look good.

I'm curious too - what was the conclusion? Is it doable?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 211