Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1411126 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #645 on: September 29, 2016, 09:56:12 pm »

it's only directly from the main site (as opposed to dffd), but it's all I've got.

/dwarves/df_43_05_win.zip         53,426
/dwarves/df_43_05_linux.tar.bz2   7,835
/dwarves/df_43_05_osx.tar.bz2     6,648
/dwarves/df_43_05_win32.zip       4,247
/dwarves/df_43_05_legacy.zip      1,518
/dwarves/df_43_05_legacy32.zip    1,117
/dwarves/df_43_05_win_s.zip       584
/dwarves/df_43_05_linux32.tar.bz2 438
/dwarves/df_43_05_legacy_s.zip    158
/dwarves/df_43_05_legacy32_s.zip  158
/dwarves/df_43_05_win32_s.zip     125
/dwarves/df_43_05_osx32.tar.bz2   95

Thank you! Download data from DFFD is more visible anyway, but it might not make sense to compare downloads from the front page to downloads of Lazy Newb Packs on DFFD.

Just in case, at the moment a Lazy Newb Pack with the 64-bit Windows version of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 has 1,106 downloads on DFFD, while a similar Lazy Newb Pack for Mac has 702 downloads on DFFD.

I don't know of any 64-bit versions of the Linux version on DFFD or of any 32-bit versions of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 on DFFD.

Here are some counts of the main page data (excluding DFFD stuff) in case anyone here wanted to see that broken down some.
Downloads of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 for various platforms and bitness:

Windows 64-bit - 55,686 (90.79%)
Windows 32-bit - 5,647 (9.21%)

Linux 64-bit - 7,835 (94.71%)
Linux 32-bit - 438 (5.29%)

Mac 64-bit - 6,648 (98.59%)
Mac 32-bit - 95 (1.41%)

Total 64-bit - 70,169 (91.91%)
Total 32-bit - 6,180 (8.09%)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #646 on: September 30, 2016, 12:38:16 am »

I noticed you said there are no explicit plans for expanding the night creatures in the magic release, however you did brainstorm night creatures "for all colors of the rainbow" at one point, are those still planned, or will the "night creature hunter" arc not get any love for awhile. One obvious missing thing is more interesting vampires, all the vampires are basically the exact same right now  which is very conspicuous compared to the others, like werecreatures which are extremely varied, and even necromancers have slightly different zombie stats for each "type" (and the magic release will expand potential evil magic alot more)  it just seems odd that vampires haven't been given as much love as the others especially given how prolific and varied they are in fantasy worlds.

(the wiki post lists the night creatures you mentioned, http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Night_creature)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:09 am »

When armies path through your fort, do they show up?  Can you create a map with a chokepoint, build a fort there and hold back the goblin tide heading for the rest of civilization?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 30, 2016, 11:01:20 am »

And rather belatedly on my part, excellent answers as always.

Quote from: Random_Dragon
In the event of adventure-named artifacts, how will naming them be handled? Will they just use the old system of randomly naming a weapon they grow attatched to, or will the player be prompted to construct a name for it? Because the latter system is bad enough about creating "the spurting banana" levels of derp for titles and such. :V

I imagine it'll use the name construction screen, which makes the name your fault.

Oooh yes. And sorry about that, I kinda meant to say the former, since that is where most of the weird randomly-made epithets come from. Though I do intentionally make weird names for groups and figurines way too often.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 01, 2016, 03:45:25 am »

Am I reading this right? Will we be able to take the fight to the enemy?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 01, 2016, 09:17:05 am »

Eventually this will become a system to send out armies. For the artifact release, all that's planned is to send out squads to recover (and hunt for new??) stolen artifacts.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 02, 2016, 01:49:11 pm »

When armies path through your fort, do they show up?  Can you create a map with a chokepoint, build a fort there and hold back the goblin tide heading for the rest of civilization?

If you place your fort in between the enemies and your civ's sites, you will be attacked far more (if not exclusively) than your civ's other sites  because your site is easier to reach.

I have a world debugging mode which is vaguely like being an observer-only deity, and something like that could eventually be incorporated, or be merged with an editor mode.
Does anyone know where (if anywhere) Toady has mentioned this before? Personally I would love to advance the world without playing the game so "spectator mode" is very intriguing to me.

Oran Legendstone

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Literature☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 02, 2016, 05:12:14 pm »

1. Will we ever see megabeasts recruiting lesser intelligent creatures around them into some sort of faux militia (ex. a dragon recruiting kobolds to steal things for him.)

2. Where did your design for kobolds come from? I notice a lot of other people see them as being lizard/dog-like creatures despite them being more like small hairy men since they seem to match the description of the art for the one shown in kobold quest.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 02, 2016, 07:56:58 pm »

To a certain extent you can already do this in adventure mode.  I've managed to wipe out the kobolds once (which is not terribly difficult, travel aside).  The one thing that would be very nice is to get a mention in Legends mode.  World generation often has battles with 4 against 20 for instance.  I've gone into goblin pits and wiped out 20-30 goblins with nary a mention in Legends.

It would be cool to have mentions like when an adventurer party kills more than X adversaries at a site, or more than Y%, or even when you manage to completely overrun the site. Interestingly, when I murdered a sleeping army (that bug still exists!) it's invasion was marked as defeated in Legends mode, but didn't mention my adventurer, or his group.

I have not managed to steal an artifact yet, but probably that should be next on my todo list.  Hard to find them in this version.  Mightily looking forward to the update :-)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 03, 2016, 01:21:34 am »

@Migrant: Yes. If you want sieges you should ensure your embark is the one closest to the enemy. If not, they tend to deal with the closer ones first before coming to you. This "be the closest one" advice includes other civs, as you don't want the goblins to spend their time on e.g. elves before coming for you. Obviously, they may be at peace with the elves, but you don't know that pre embark, and that may change in the 2 week embark frenzy anyway.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 03, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »

Is food not rotting in stockpiles just a temporary feature? I've always thought that it was just a temporary placeholder until food preservation is expanded (with smoking and salting, for example), but I'm not so sure now because I didn't see anything in the dev notes.
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 04, 2016, 10:27:19 pm »

Is food not rotting in stockpiles just a temporary feature? I've always thought that it was just a temporary placeholder until food preservation is expanded (with smoking and salting, for example), but I'm not so sure now because I didn't see anything in the dev notes.

Along this line:

Are there any plans to improve brewery? In the real world, fermented beverages benefit from aging, gaining properties from the container they age in. Scotch being such a creature, as are many kinds of wine. An interesting way to make alcohol more dynamic would be an aging mechanic, which can be offset by incorporating an "angel's share" mechanic. Do you have any plans at all for something like this?

Souleater17

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGEL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:16 pm »

Are Night Trolls in Fortress Mode planned? Things like Night Trolls invading fortresses to kidnap someone and such. Similarly, are Bogeymen planned to appear in Fortress Mode? Would they torment children and such, as they do in folklore?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:02:13 pm by Souleater17 »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 05, 2016, 03:35:49 pm »

Do you use any of  the neural network models anywhere in the game?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 05, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »

Nope.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 211