Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406940 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #795 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:57 am »

Just need crystal glass dense skin and fruit juice blood now i guess.

Thinking about it, if it was a material property factor as well, dark towers made out of slade would be the utmost safest place to hide because they are unmovable spare structurally taking it apart laboriously piece by piece, if a bronze collossus kicked it at full force it'd probably disjoint its leg.

Also if clowns are towering monstrosities (in which case the circus will have to be reworked) then either by the application of magic to change domestic or just map changes, they probably shouldn't actually fit in the top of dark towers, and they'd be pretty scary and towering over fortresses they are trying to invade. (Good question, how are 2 tile high creatures supposed to get up/down stairs without colliding with the stairs above?)

I mean, Imagine every fantasy movie or book you have viewed
The last final battle isn't fought on some small basement. Roofs are high and there's plenty of space, even it the bad guy doesnt need it.
When the architecture is more defined and logically created, big monstrousities will make sure they have enough space in the towers

Im not big on modding the game but, can't you create a creature made of glass and with fruit juice blood already?

Oh, and If circus become enormous caverns where you can see the monsters from above, I can see ropes and rope ladders being added to quickly get down before the monsters slay you, that would help too with your question, since most creatures could use a rope ladder despite their size
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:21:21 am by Rubik »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2016, 11:37:28 pm »

Do npc artifact questers follow, or actively seek out, rumours when tracing the whereabouts of an artifact? Could you carry an artifact from place to place making sure to be seen each time and then laugh about the hapless questers in Legends later as they march from town to town? Will they follow the rumours into dangerous places, so we can read about how some brave gorlak decided to attack a necromancer tower because a careless adventurer left his holy artifact there one day?

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 28, 2016, 01:27:23 am »

Do npc artifact questers follow, or actively seek out, rumours when tracing the whereabouts of an artifact?

That is one of the premises of the update, NPC parties Will seek out artifacts, your adventurers if you have them, or slide/contact into a fortress to get them

Will they follow the rumours into dangerous places, so we can read about how some brave gorlak decided to attack a necromancer tower because a careless adventurer left his holy artifact there one day?

Seems like a fair place to secure your artifacts, leave them in a necro tower
Now that I think of it, the more artifacts you claim, the bigger chances to encounter a party that wants to kill you.
You can't leave them in a camp (unless you build it so the walls are closed? would that work?)
So leaving them where a hundred of zombies will defend it is a good idea. If you become a necromancer, its basically like the vault of a bank guarded by dumb officials
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:31:46 am by Rubik »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 28, 2016, 03:56:48 am »

Do npc artifact questers follow, or actively seek out, rumours when tracing the whereabouts of an artifact?

That is one of the premises of the update, NPC parties Will seek out artifacts, your adventurers if you have them, or slide/contact into a fortress to get them
I mean, how well will they be able to follow the rumours? Will it be a case of giving up and going home until another rumour turns up when the artifact isn't where they thought it would be? Or will smart npcs wander over to the nearest hamlet to see if anyone saw what happened, picking up new rumours? Eventually giving up when they hear that some albatross-man adventurer dropped it into the middle of the ocean (or not...triggering a series of mysterious ocean drowning suicides scattered throughout Legends...).

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 28, 2016, 10:09:20 am »

I mean, how well will they be able to follow the rumours? Will it be a case of giving up and going home until another rumour turns up when the artifact isn't where they thought it would be? Or will smart npcs wander over to the nearest hamlet to see if anyone saw what happened, picking up new rumours? Eventually giving up when they hear that some albatross-man adventurer dropped it into the middle of the ocean (or not...triggering a series of mysterious ocean drowning suicides scattered throughout Legends...).

We kinda have to suppose a little bit here, as Toady hasnt given any specific information about that, that I know, of course
If we base our ideas on the Ockham's razor and the history of Toady updates, we'll probably have some rather simple mechanics for the first update, and it'll probably get better and more complex as the game evolves. Also bugs, thats for sure
Im talking about npc getting stuck on trees, getting increasingly angry and killing eachother, bad escalation of interrogatories on taverns ending with everybody dead, and a large etc.
Some mechanic like this, as its based on behaviour from npcs, personalities should play an enormous factor too, so a rather inconsistent dwarf might stop the search at the firsts inclemences

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 28, 2016, 10:36:19 am »

Some mechanic like this, as its based on behaviour from npcs, personalities should play an enormous factor too, so a rather inconsistent dwarf might stop the search at the firsts inclemences
"I tell you, I was all ready to go after that artifact too.  Whatever was guarding the Chalice of Mechanisms would have a heavily-armed band of mercs to deal with, not to mention my own crossbow and battle axe and shortsword (and a spear I secretly keep hidden in my sock).  Maps of the dark fortress, a couple spies in place for intel, provisions for months in case thing take longer than expected.  Got the whole troop riled up at the tavern, swapping war stories, planning out how we was gonna spend the reward money, it was glorious."
"But with all that you didn't get the Chalice?  The guardians must have been truly fearsome!"
"Well, you see, as we got up to leave, another group was just coming in the tavern.  Big rowdy bunch, miners I think.  Must have blocked the door for a whole minute or two.  Course, by the time all that was over we'd lost interest in an expedition and went back to drinking."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 28, 2016, 11:02:14 am »

I feel like I've asked this before, but can't recall getting an answer or not. In legends/asking about yourself it lists rumored/known protector of the weak and being told about you challenging various bandits/killing them/etc, but I've yet to see if this exhibits progression like hero/hunter/performer. Is there a great/legendary/famous/anything progression for "Protector of the Weak" fame?
Thinking about it, if it was a material property factor as well, dark towers made out of slade would be the utmost safest place to hide because they are unmovable spare structurally taking it apart laboriously piece by piece, if a bronze collossus kicked it at full force it'd probably disjoint its leg.
Spoiler: Piece by piece eh? (click to show/hide)
Bwahahaha, fear me, for I am Daturtharnas!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:48:13 pm by Max™ »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 28, 2016, 05:48:55 pm »

We kinda have to suppose a little bit here, as Toady hasnt given any specific information about that, that I know, of course
Yes...that's why...I wrote a question in green text...to Toady.
I appreciate your speculation and stuff, but if you don't know the answer (which is likely since I'm asking about work Toady is in the middle of implementing) it's OK. It's only a few more days until the end of the month.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 29, 2016, 05:18:30 am »

I just tried to help
If you wanted to know from the start a more in detail explanation you should have asked it, instead of your green question who most people can answer by following the...dev log

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #804 on: October 29, 2016, 06:47:55 am »

On the subject of identification/rumours/etc for things like artefact thieves/rescuers/Indiana Jones knockoffs; will everybody know exactly who's stolen what? Or will the immediate witnesses know precisely, but everyone else who comes into contact with the rumour be more vague/malleable - eg: picking from a list of people they know want that artefact, in their immediate group of contacts if they don't directly know, but can make a guess or have heard alternate names etc (I realise that's probably incredibly dense to code). Do artefacts feature in things like life goals now, 'Urist wants to obtain a copy/the original of Classic Hamlet' or does that remain under the surface until directly asked for?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 29, 2016, 07:46:48 am »

at some point in the future, will people be able to mod on and edit sites?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2016, 06:11:13 pm »

Q: Are there any plans to, eventually, give players a means to convert Evil regions to Neutral or Good?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2016, 08:28:12 pm »

Q: Are there any plans to, eventually, give players a means to convert Evil regions to Neutral or Good?
The evilness and savagery system is going to be overhauled, and Toady hinted that he'd like it to be something Sphere-based.  But the question still stands... could a fort in a region of RAINBOWS and FERTILITY be strip-mined enough by player actions to turn into a region of METALS and BLIGHT?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 31, 2016, 04:27:27 am »

So many questions, too many questions.

Question for toady - If worldgen adventurers are out collecting artifacts and fighting (/conflicting more regularly with) the monsters that guard them, is there a chance that a particular adventurer exalted by their rumoured heroic feats could make omnisciently super curious/same entity rumor aware dwarves be starstruck when they meet them in the future?
Sir Flash-Heart the legendary human adventurer, slayer of beasts walks into your inn having heard of its excellent reputation for a good time and strong beverages.

Instantly upon entering, a few dwarves drop thier goblets in awe and flock in a mass to greet him, a little bemused he worms his way though the crowd to a table, they all settle down as they flatter the hero's ego and start up celebrations of double rounds. All the dwarves still round him pressure him for tales (mostly tall) until his mind goes blank and he changes the subjects to drinking songs. a goblin across the bar shrugs and silently murmurs to himself how he's seen more modest & better heroes with half the ego of that youngling upstart in his time and continues to down his drink grumbling.

Once the night is over and dwarves have gone to sleep/comatose vomiting on the floor, Flash-Heart creeps into your storage and steals your artifact sword, however he is caught by a impressionable child having been woken up by his tremoring footsteps on un-smoothened stone, the adventurer purses his lips and shushes before picking up a metal miniforge from a nearby bin, etching his name in it with the sword as a autographed gift to the child and sending the child off on its way filled to the brim with glee from getting a trinket and a new special toy before Flash-heart crawls over the walls to safety and freedom with his prize and next daring feat.

The next evening he constructs a tall tale on how he fought through legions of brutish feral dwarves dressed in adamantine with only a masterwork sock in the next human mead hall he rolls up to and frequents.

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 31, 2016, 04:47:26 am »

The evilness and savagery system is going to be overhauled, and Toady hinted that he'd like it to be something Sphere-based.  But the question still stands... could a fort in a region of RAINBOWS and FERTILITY be strip-mined enough by player actions to turn into a region of METALS and BLIGHT?

Yeah, he's also talked about magic/energy zones instead of simply evil places in the world, which makes sense
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 211