Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1406454 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #840 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »

Global variables can work like that, and we should have something there for next time.
Is that the sort of thing to hyperventilate over for dfhackbros as I think it is?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:36 pm »

guys i have a terrible memory

what exactly did toady update in the devlog

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 02, 2016, 07:43:15 pm »

guys i have a terrible memory

what exactly did toady update in the devlog

Everything to do with the artifact arc besides updating kobold/gobbo sites, and questing for artifacts remotely/with help ('support for the journey', which might get stalled a little bit before dwarves go out into the world until the setting is fixed) and in regards for civs  rewarding you with artifacts for quests as a form of payment. (which begs the question what's really worth what you get out of it for the effort it'd require, you could buy a kingdom with the quality and value of some artifacts, worth more than the lives of all the people who live in the realm put together)

Considering what was being done then compared to how many blue 'complete' features we have now ready to commit to a new version its very impressive with the rate of progress. You can sort of get a timeline of progress here of him constructing the bones of the rumours system from the bay12 twitter feed.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #843 on: November 02, 2016, 08:16:47 pm »

Thanks toady!!

The agent behavior sounds really cool, I can't wait to build an evil lair as a necromancer and take out the hapless adventureres who come a knocking for that precious royal sock with my zombie army.

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 02, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »

Global variables can work like that, and we should have something there for next time.
It sounds like Toady is going to make things easier for the DFHack team.

Quote from: Toady One
2. We were mostly into them D&D-wise after the dog people but before the full turn to dragon people.  They had properties of both.  In our raws, they don't have hair and they lay eggs, but they aren't small lizard people.  They look like the Kobold Quest kobold.
Meph pointed out earlier that Kobolds have "mannerism_hair:hair". I don't know quite what that means, but Meph interpreted it as brown skin with hairs.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 02, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »

Is that the sort of thing to hyperventilate over for dfhackbros as I think it is?
Yeah, it'll make things easier in the long run. It could be interesting to sort out at first, though, because a lot of our global names are just guesses (see here).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 02, 2016, 09:44:47 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
2. We were mostly into them D&D-wise after the dog people but before the full turn to dragon people.  They had properties of both.  In our raws, they don't have hair and they lay eggs, but they aren't small lizard people.  They look like the Kobold Quest kobold.
Meph pointed out earlier that Kobolds have "mannerism_hair:hair". I don't know quite what that means, but Meph interpreted it as brown skin with hairs.

To me, they will always be fraggles raiding the gorg faddish farm.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 02, 2016, 11:15:37 pm »

Oh yeah, green for the Toad: I used dfhack and checked the fame levels with some poking around, mentioned it before I think, but after sharing literally dozens of bandit kills/prevented robberies I was only around 8 or so of the 100 needed for "Legendary Protector of the Weak" which I confirmed is in by setting the value directly.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:06 am »

And now Toady forgets the scorpions even when I'm not the one bringing them up this time. Senpai will notice poor neglected GDS. ;w;
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 03, 2016, 03:17:17 am »

Quote from: wierd

If Fraggles had pointy ears they'd be just like Kobolds. Do you happen to know if Fraggles lay eggs?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:41 am »

Yeah, it'll make things easier in the long run. It could be interesting to sort out at first, though, because a lot of our global names are just guesses (see here).
It looks like it would be a major improvement, both in the long run and in the short one with the additional stuff that would be revealed. Conversion would be a mess (but probably a lot less so than the compiler switch), but for compiled code the compiler would flag all the things that have incorrectly guessed names (with the very unfortunate case of a guessed name accidentally matching an actual name of something else). For scripts, however, it might be worth the effort to create a tool that looked at everything that seemed to refer to DF data and flag those that didn't match anything in the correct structure.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 03, 2016, 05:22:55 am »

I'm kind of curious how DFHack's names for things compare to Toady's names. I'd like to see a chart like that sometime.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 03, 2016, 06:06:26 am »

Quote from: wierd

If Fraggles had pointy ears they'd be just like Kobolds. Do you happen to know if Fraggles lay eggs?

Steal your stuff away! Save it for another day!
Why don't your posessions come and stay, down in Kobold Rock!

Now to my question
> Will other roles like kobold thieves or goblin snatchers in future (with more development of the game and other races) ever be togglable or interactable professions within fortress mode? Given that by editing some memory values (as DFstructures implies) to unrestrict, they could be set up as flags for certain civ types ([BABYSNATCHER] & [ITEM THEIF]) to access, perhaps using the same system as artifact retrievers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2016, 07:23:07 am »

I'm kind of curious how DFHack's names for things compare to Toady's names. I'd like to see a chart like that sometime.
If Toady does export the info you can compare it against the current DFHack XML files, and even make a chart out of that comparison ;)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 03, 2016, 08:11:26 am »

It looks like it would be a major improvement, both in the long run and in the short one with the additional stuff that would be revealed. Conversion would be a mess (but probably a lot less so than the compiler switch), but for compiled code the compiler would flag all the things that have incorrectly guessed names (with the very unfortunate case of a guessed name accidentally matching an actual name of something else). For scripts, however, it might be worth the effort to create a tool that looked at everything that seemed to refer to DF data and flag those that didn't match anything in the correct structure.
There's no need to rename them all in DFHack. I meant that it would be necessary to figure out how Toady's names correspond to DFHack's, e.g. DF's "plot_info" is DFHack's "ui".

And now Toady forgets the scorpions even when I'm not the one bringing them up this time. Senpai will notice poor neglected GDS. ;w;
Was there a question asked about them?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 211