Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413758 times)

Rubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #900 on: November 06, 2016, 04:54:47 am »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 06, 2016, 11:27:49 am »

Forgive me if this is not relevant. I have not played Dwarf Fortress for a few versions. One thing that has prevented my return is the fact that selling prepared meals breaks trade (because they are so immensely valuable and also easy to make) and makes it insanely easy to acquire wealth/goods. Is there a possibility that in the future you could solve this problem either by A) Dropping the value of cooked meals, or, B) Making different caravans interested in different goods (i.e. caravans selling metals would only be interested in finished goods, caravans selling wood would only be interested in agricultural products, etc).
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: November 06, 2016, 11:37:45 am »

@The13thRonin : I think Toady's reply will be something like "I will work on this during the Economy Arc".

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 06, 2016, 12:10:30 pm »

@The13thRonin : I think Toady's reply will be something like "I will work on this during the Economy Arc".

Is that soon?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 06, 2016, 12:58:27 pm »

Is that soon?

Responses typically come at the end of the month, sometimes depending on the zach brothers (Zach/Threetoe & Tarn/Toady) personal quotas and engagements (travelling to give speeches, working on content etc.)

Unless there is a snap release of the next version we're not expecting to hear from them again for a reply until about the first or second of December approximately formally or a little bit before.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #905 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:51 pm »

Toady have you ever read a Terry Pratchett novel such as any novel from the Discworld series? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld and if so will it influence how you go about myth generation for your worlds?

This question has been bugging me for awhile.
So much so that you already asked it...
Quote from: Untrustedlife
Toady have you ever read discworld?

I think I read one of the books many years ago.  Something Egyptish.

Quote from: TheBiggerFish
Have you considered reading more Discworld books?

I had a few more from when I read the pyramids one (Guards something I think and whatever came next), but that was ~a decade ago and I didn't read them.  Then I didn't circle back around and don't really plan on it.  It's hard to find time.

I didnt remember asking that hehe, , ill rephrase it.

Toady have you read a fantasy novel such as any novel from the Discworld series or the Scion of Shannara series, (or any of the short stories from the Majesty fanatsy kingdom sim series of games (like this http://www.majestypalace.com/page/History_of_Ardania ), (or this http://www.majestypalace.com/page/Sources_for_Majesty_Lore)  or  anything like that)  since the start of the myth generation stuff? and if so will it influence how you go about myth generation for your worlds and what books/stories were they? and if not, do you plan to?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:29:51 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 06, 2016, 01:47:32 pm »

Is that soon?
No.
FantasticDorf answered when Toady will answer your question, but the question of when the Economy Arc will take place is most likely answered with "not anytime soon", as it's beyond the scope of semi fixed plans. First there is the artifact release currently worked on, then the continuation of that in the form of magic and myth. The current plan has starting scenarios and additional adventure mode stuff beyond that, although starting scenarios has some thorny connections with the economy. It's also likely multi tile machinery will get in before the economy (there's a connection in that sea trade requires boats), but the order can switch. There's also the issue of random tangents, suddenly shifted priorities, and stumbling blocks that result in a change of the short term focus.
Thus, if you require a working economy to play DF I'd recommend you to check back every year or two, but not expect to see anything this decade. You can also check the dev page to see what's within the sort of scheduled future.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 06, 2016, 01:49:32 pm »

Is that soon?

If your question was "is that soon", speaking of the Economy Arc (and not the reply), all we can say is that it's not "yet", as he is currently working on Magic & Artefact & Myths.

Economy is very complex, so before that, he will have to work on property and laws. It MAY be in two arcs (which would mean, in that case, that he could work on the prerequisite next year after the current one, for a release in two years, then after, for a release in 4 years). But it may be not, considering all the other important features.

The main issue is what you see as a bug, something annoying, is just the emerged part of a much larger system, that you can't just fix easily. You have to rewrite what was temporary by something "connected" with the rest of the game. And economy is notoriously complex.
I hope that FantasticDorf & I have replied to your question.

EDIT : PatrikLundell has replied before me. Glad to see we said the same thing :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:52:27 pm by Inarius »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 06, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »

As for how it'd help, economy arc would change the value of goods dynamically based on how much are present and traded for everywhere in the world, which would limit the efficacy of a single trade good.

Even then, they simply don't bring much, compared to what you produce at your fortress (I've bought caravans by forgetting about "make crafts" with infinite resource), and only ask for 0,5x profit when it should be something like 100x to make it a proper choice (and even then, worn clothes would still be more valuable than raw materials, I estimate, what's with the way the values are calculated by multiplication in magnitudes, not something like adding).

Not only is it pretty hard to make a trade be a bad idea, it's undesirable from the perspective of simulation.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:06:08 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 06, 2016, 05:24:55 pm »

Why not, and here's a crazy idea, not use the prepared meals to exploit easy wealth? We all know it's not intended as the final behavior. Just a thought.

As a very, very rough guide, assume a year of development followed by 6 months of bug fixing and smaller updates/suggestion improvements.

Then upcoming we have:
- Artifacts
- Magic and myths part 1
- Starting Scenarios (lets assume, parts 1 and 2 , similar to artifacts/magic breakdown as this also includes law, politics and society)
- Boats and moving fortress parts
- Economy

Throw in myths and magic part 2 (it's too big for one release, but too exciting to leave for too long), plus probably another scenarios/politics release and that gives you a vague figure of 10 years?

Bear in mind Toady's become a book writing, globe trotting, conference attending celebrity recently. As fans we like to assume this won't effect things and he won't do anything drastic to his schedule like start dating or something, but these things happen so it's really impossible to tell.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 06, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »

I thought that Law/Crime & Punishment would be worked on after starting scenarios but I don't remember now why I had that impression.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 06, 2016, 07:34:17 pm »

Pretty sure that was part of starting scenarios?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 06, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »

Yeah, starting scenarios includes law, politics and so on right now in the dev notes. As without law and politics and a dwarf knowing his place in society, there can be no scenarios. Or something.

I can see it being divided though. Magic was part of 'npc artifacts' originally.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:35 am »

There you go. Thanks.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 07, 2016, 05:20:52 pm »

This is a question that has been asked before, but I think it's appropiate to ask it again :

As the complexity of the code in DF progresses we can see how even pretty new and fast computers tend to drop in performance impacting gameplay in several ways , several users see how they beforehand could run a fort at decent speed with up to 200 (or more) dwarves in locations 4x4 and the same seems now almost impossible even at smaller locations and fewer dwarves.

Would it not be appropiate to try to start allocating several of the calculations that are done on more cpu cores, before the game reaches a complexity that makes it even harder to differenciate the different parts of the game that can be dedicated to different cores in an efficient mode?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 03:58:06 pm by malvado »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 211