Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1413661 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2016, 05:07:55 pm »

Another thing that recently propped up in the modding section for another quick fire question.

> Will small item tools like boning knives/ladels cast out into adventure mode only, ever find their way into the fortress mode gradually as a component of reactions in order to create alternative results/constructive new use without a new take on zone based workshops? As per methodically skinning and slaughtering a animal with a slicing knife, deboning it with a boning knife (especially useful in fish), then carving the valuable meats off it with a carving knife for greater productive output.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »

You mention specifcally Dwarvern historical figures will make artifacts through worldgen Strange Moods, will other races also get a chance to make stuff? If not by moods (which seem kind of Dwarfy) then by some other mechanic? Or is that what holy relics are? How about goblins - will they or their demon masters make evil artifacts?

Actually as a part two to that question, will Strange Moods actually be limited to Dwarves (as a race) or be available to anyone who's part of a Dwarf civ? Maybe not now but after Mythgen in the future will we start to see some difference in behaviour and ability between races from the same civ?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:40:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2016, 11:07:56 pm »

[STRANGE_MOODS] is a tag now, in the current "mythicality" setting of vanilla one might assume that'll just be a dorf thing, while a world with fully randomly generated creatures may have many, and he might add it to other races with different conditions to get them produced more often during world-gen anyways.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2016, 11:20:52 pm »

[STRANGE_MOODS] is a tag now, in the current "mythicality" setting of vanilla one might assume that'll just be a dorf thing, while a world with fully randomly generated creatures may have many, and he might add it to other races with different conditions to get them produced more often during world-gen anyways.
Is that a creature tag or an entity tag?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:26 am »

Creature. So only dwarves get it, and the civilization they live in is irrelevant to it. Same for the reverse, humans in a dwarf civilization don't get moods. I'm pretty sure it's actually the whole reason the token was added. Because now humans can end up in your fortress, Toady specifically wanted only dwarves to be getting strange moods.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2016, 12:51:41 am »

Currently adventurers can use any item as a weapon, including weapons that are supposedly too big for them like an elf using a great axe, or even more extreme, and elf using a great axe in one hand. Which should require size 77500. Is there any penalty to this? Is it intentional? If there isn't a penalty, then do you plan to do anything about it, such as make adventurers unable to attack with such weapons, or to introduce a penalty? Similarly is there any penalty to holding multiple items in one hand? There used to be a really powerful trick where you just hold as many shields as you can get your hands on and then block any attack easily. I think I heard something about that being fixed, but I don't actually know how.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2016, 01:03:23 am »

Creature. So only dwarves get it, and the civilization they live in is irrelevant to it. Same for the reverse, humans in a dwarf civilization don't get moods. I'm pretty sure it's actually the whole reason the token was added. Because now humans can end up in your fortress, Toady specifically wanted only dwarves to be getting strange moods.
Well that's good. It's already clear from the devblog that non-dwarf civs won't be producing artifacts from strange moods. Was wondering how the rest of the world is going to fit into the artifacts release.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 01:24:24 am »

Currently adventurers can use any item as a weapon, including weapons that are supposedly too big for them like an elf using a great axe, or even more extreme, and elf using a great axe in one hand. Which should require size 77500. Is there any penalty to this? Is it intentional? If there isn't a penalty, then do you plan to do anything about it, such as make adventurers unable to attack with such weapons, or to introduce a penalty? Similarly is there any penalty to holding multiple items in one hand? There used to be a really powerful trick where you just hold as many shields as you can get your hands on and then block any attack easily. I think I heard something about that being fixed, but I don't actually know how.

Yes, there is a penalty and it is intentional, for all of that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2016, 03:46:55 am »

Well that's good. It's already clear from the devblog that non-dwarf civs won't be producing artifacts from strange moods. Was wondering how the rest of the world is going to fit into the artifacts release.

From what is understood, magical artifacts are different to typical dwarf artifacts.

Most of them are related to the creation story (coming in the generator that determines lore/settings etc) and will probably be passed down as heirlooms within civs until they are stolen/seized. There is still little detail how they come about besides coming into being in creation, and whether one magical artifact can aid the creation of others (as to say to be a catalyst for magical essence)

Its important to note 'magical artifacts' and 'artifacts' are right now seperate concepts, though its up to the brothers to determine whether a dwarf can via a strange mood construct a well made object with some mundane/extreme magical properties.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2016, 03:55:50 am »

Yes, there is a penalty and it is intentional, for all of that.

Can you !!science!! up what the actual penalty is, though?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2016, 05:01:31 am »

Can historical figures fail their mood during worldgen ?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2016, 09:15:14 am »

Oh, that would be fun!
- Any troubles?
- Well, Urist McBone Carver went completely insane the other day. He should be right around here...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2016, 11:46:15 am »

It's been a while since I've been able to generate a 1050 year large world, but it worked just fine on my computer. Time to dig into history!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2016, 10:25:29 pm »

I couldn't find a specific reference to our adventurers naming items in the development notes, only that it would occur in worldgen.

You've mentioned that you intend to allow heroes in worldgen to name their weapons and armour, will this extend to our adventurer characters (say, after our character earns a nickname for heroic deeds)?
I could imagine my companions beginning disputes over who inherits my named items after my character dies.

I can't wait to become Caligula and insult hundreds by desecrating the relics of past heroes.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2016, 11:12:25 pm »

Oh, that would be fun!
- Any troubles?
- Well, Urist McBone Carver went completely insane the other day. He should be right around here...
- Where can I find Urist McBone Carver?
- Urist McBone Carver is behind you.
Urist McBone carver strikes you in the head from behind with the iron carving knife, tearing the brain's tissue.
You have been struck down. You are deceased.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 211